Apple introduces iPod Photo

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

aren't you sort of contradicting yourself here? not that i'm the contradicting police or anything, just curious

Yes but my point was everyone else is talking about adding features such as video etc. I was just suggesting something a s simple as a couple extra games being added. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TB6387

Yes but my point was everyone else is talking about adding features such as video etc. I was just suggesting something a s simple as a couple extra games being added. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do.

I would rather they opened up the SDK so anyone who wanted to could make and sell games for the thing. It's a new platform.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

You're probably right. I am mostly just "thinking out loud". Couple of reasons I could see for Apple doing it:

1. Creates a connection to iPod Photo.

2. Increased brand identity.

3. Perhaps Apple has a larger strategy that revolves around "Trojan Horse-ing" themselves into being the "new computer" (iPod) with all of these software products (iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, etc.) as the "gateway" to it.

Again...just sort of thinking/brainstorming out loud here.

Though I'm not sure I'm ready to "predict" it...I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find out that we're just getting started with what iPod is going to eventually be all about.

That was exactly my thought. Everyone can see how good iTunes is for your music, people will now want it for their photos, but how? They'll have to buy a Mac. Also Apple aren't acting unfairly for Mac users, iTunes gets your photos from the program, iPhoto isn't compatible itself, therefore it isn't anti windows users. I would've been really angry if windows got iPhoto, as I've said before, I have to pay for it.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

Aren't most iPod users now PC users? Seem to recall hearing that.

If the photo stuff is going to be a hit, they need to bring iPhoto to Windows. Telling people to go off and buy some third party effort does not cut it. You either go the whole way, or don't bother. Right now it's a poor deal for PC sorts.

Not to say I wouldn't like one, if only for the cool colour screen, but I have a PC desktop.

Under Windows, iPod Photo syncs from the 'My Pictures' folder, which is in the 'My Documents' folder, or any other folder you nominate.

You don't need to buy Adobe Elements at all, it just happens to work with it if you already have it.
  • Reply 125 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arnel

I'd like to see them do:Make a cable for connecting the iPod directly to a camera, rather than having to go through the Belkin media card adapter. Most cameras seem to have the same mini-USB connectors it seems.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel

Hmmmm...nice idea. But any idea on if licensing fees must be paid to make iPod accessories? If support was added for camera syncs (many cameras use PictBridge protocol for transfers) I could see some one using that as a way to get out of paying. (Note:Since I don't know whether or not there are licensing fees this is just speculation).
  • Reply 126 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

All the people out there that want a memory card reader built into the ipod are insane. How the hell is apple spose to keep the ipod as small as it is and put a memory card reader into the thing.

I don't think it is impossible. Archos put a CF card reader in their 20 gig gMini 400 and it is about the same size as an iPod. On the otherhand I do agree with you on support for all card types. If you choose one format than you are kinda leaving people with other formats out of the loop.

But once you have the support fot CF cards creating adapters for other card types is trivial.

Color iPod is 4.1x2.4x0.75

gMini 400 is 4.2x2.4x0.7

(units in inches)
  • Reply 127 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcedes

I don't think it is impossible. Archos put a CF card reader in their 20 gig gMini 400 and it is about the same size as an iPod. On the otherhand I do agree with you on support for all card types. If you choose one format than you are kinda leaving people with other formats out of the loop.

But once you have the support fot CF cards creating adapters for other card types is trivial

As someone who has (over)used the CF slot on their HP iPAQ, I would strongly discourage Apple from considering this, for the following reasons:

- a CF slot opens the internals of the unit to dust, moisture, and pistachio nut residue (don't ask!)

- the pins of CF connectors are flimsy and while they may last a few hundred times of dainty insertions in a showroom, office or photographic studio, they are less suited for kicking around in the places that iPods are taken to.

- the virtually seamless sealed unit of the iPod has a great attraction, which is why Apple hasn't made a battery compartment, and having a slot would work against this design philosophy.

In short, I believe that claiming the iPod should have slots merely indicates you should instead be looking at a Nikon CoolWalker for your intended use:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04...coolwalker.asp
  • Reply 128 of 137
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcedes

But once you have the support fot CF cards creating adapters for other card types is trivial.

Color iPod is 4.1x2.4x0.75

gMini 400 is 4.2x2.4x0.7

(units in inches)

Yeah but if Apple could have made it smaller they would. They're using all the space up, they could put on in but it would get a lot thicker and the battery life would be crap - what would be the point then?
  • Reply 129 of 137
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I would rather they opened up the SDK so anyone who wanted to could make and sell games for the thing. It's a new platform.

That will be the biggest question. Beyond adding a slot here or a port there, will the iPod become a new platform and in what sense. It already has its own division. How can it expand in the way the pda did, but not make the same mistakes for Apple? Apple does not own the iPod os, does it? And anything you do to that os will affect all of those international contracts regarding music and DRM's. The music companies would "love" [sarcasm] for the SDK's to admit all sorts of hacking and viruses into their products.

I think most of the conservative nature of the iPod has to do with DRM's and the need for control rather than Apple just keeping it simple.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Yeah but if Apple could have made it smaller they would. They're using all the space up, they could put on in but it would get a lot thicker and the battery life would be crap - what would be the point then?

I am no engineer but I have full confidence in Apples ability to pull something like this off while still producing something that is easy to use, small, and power efficient.