OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk]

Comments

• Reply 321 of 587
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    KidRed, *please* study the printed text in the writing movie closely! It simply does not flow the movement of the rest of the unit. It is the only totally static object in the frame. when the person takes their hand away from the device is the give-away more than anything else. He nudges the unit but the text doesn't budge. It is a real object, but it did not work like how they showed it.

[edit: it's actually more noticeable before he removes his hand. the device clearly gets "giggled" slightly a moment before he finishes writing.]

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 321 of 587
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

My Visor Edge doesn't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but this is a color screen. Edges are monochrome.
  • Reply 323 of 587

<strong>

My Visor Edge doesn't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It does when you activate the green backlight.
  • Reply 324 of 587
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    KidRed has the best signature. I start laughing every time I read it. Never fails.
  • Reply 325 of 587
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Pretty amazing what you can figure out when you have a common purpose. So far we have clues from the display at its edges, the date on the display, the outlets in the room, the light "bleed," etc. What next, Elvis in the frame?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats what I said. We should form CAI (Center for Active Intelligens). Give us three hours, an internet connection, the Apollo footage and a couple of bottles of everyones personal favorite drink and we´ll find Osama exact location +/- five meters.
  • Reply 326 of 587
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Oh my gosh kids...

You mean to say you find 'insert your favorite strangeness' with a compress quicktime movie... Geezzz then you guys should look at some of the other quicktime movies on the net... we have a lot of hoaxes all over the place...

I'm on record, this IS real and when/if I'm proven wrong I'll be man enough to say so... I just wanna see all you guys do the same.

Fair enough?

Dave
  • Reply 327 of 587
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>KidRed, *please* study the printed text in the writing movie closely! It simply does not flow the movement of the rest of the unit. It is the only totally static object in the frame. when the person takes their hand away from the device is the give-away more than anything else. He nudges the unit but the text doesn't budge. It is a real object, but it did not work like how they showed it.

[edit: it's actually more noticeable before he removes his hand. the device clearly gets "giggled" slightly a moment before he finishes writing.]

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok. I did. And. Wrong. The text does move. I enlarged the QT window to full screen and pasted stickies on my screen for reference and it so clearly visible that the text "iWalk" moves as his hand leaves the unit and wieght is shifted. Sorry, but now I totaly believe this is real. If you guys don't believe the OS part, after closely following this part as recommended it has absolutely convinced me and I recommend you to enlarge your QT window and paste some stickies on the screen for reference points and you'll clearly see the text move.
  • Reply 328 of 587
    Fair

But even then it was an sleek, expensive looking but nonfunctional futuristic plastic thing. They might have gotten it to work later but at the time of the footage it was clearly not operational.
  • Reply 328 of 587
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Are there any other new mochups on the web that anyone knows of? That was a great one. Best I've ever seen if it isn't real.
  • Reply 330 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>KidRed has the best signature. I start laughing every time I read it. Never fails. </strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe, thanks Didn't know anyone ever read or cared about it
  • Reply 331 of 587
    crazzzy ish...
  • Reply 332 of 587
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>Oh my gosh kids...

You mean to say you find 'insert your favorite strangeness' with a compress quicktime movie... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Dave has a very good point. You cannot forget that this video is not DV. It has been compressed and some of the information has been lost. So you can't take everything you see in it at face value. Granted, that means you can make the video mean whatever you want it to mean. But you already knew that

-Paul
  • Reply 333 of 587
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    My vote is that this is a fake, but probably the best fake I have ever seen. I've seen dozens of "Apple PDA" photoshop jobs, but they were all pretty obvious fakes. This one is very elaborate. I can't believe that Apple would make something with that huge doorknob button. (Next thing you'll tell me that they will make a computer fit into an 8" cube! ;-)

Also, if you will look at the top of the device, you can see the join where the top and bottom of the device meet. It looks like the casement of a firewire harddisk enclosure or something. I doubt Apple would release something that looks like this.

I have been using PDAs for years, and if it were real this screen would have to have a very high resolution screen. The images look way too smooth for a normal PDA, even one with a VGA screen. Not impossible, but it seems unlikely.

Also, the placement of the stylus is very odd. I have never seen a PDA with a stylus in the lower left-hand corner. Vertically oriented devices like Palms and Pocket PCs will almost always have the stylus in the upper right. Horizontal PDAs like the older Japanese Sharp Zaurus will have the stylus in the upper or lower right. The only people who would find this position convenient would be left-handers, and whether it is fair or not, things are pretty much always designed with the right-handed majority in mind.

I will say, though, that they certainly did their homework. The OS on the screen really does look like what a "modern" version of the Newton OS might look like.
  • Reply 334 of 587

<strong>

Ok. I did. And. Wrong. The text does move. I enlarged the QT window to full screen and pasted stickies on my screen for reference and it so clearly visible that the text "iWalk" moves as his hand leaves the unit and wieght is shifted. Sorry, but now I totaly believe this is real. If you guys don't believe the OS part, after closely following this part as recommended it has absolutely convinced me and I recommend you to enlarge your QT window and paste some stickies on the screen for reference points and you'll clearly see the text move.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look at the text *as* he's writing. Even though the unit is shaking a little bit, the text remains absolutely motionless. That last little nudge is the only movement in it. Probably just moved the layer upwards a little after noticing he had pushed the unit up a little.
  • Reply 335 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>Also, the placement of the stylus is very odd. I have never seen a PDA with a stylus in the lower left-hand corner. Vertically oriented devices like Palms and Pocket PCs will almost always have the stylus in the upper right. Horizontal PDAs like the older Japanese Sharp Zaurus will have the stylus in the upper or lower right. The only people who would find this position convenient would be left-handers, and whether it is fair or not, things are pretty much always designed with the right-handed majority in mind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The iBook has both USB ports on the left side. Not very convenient for a right-hander to run the mouse cord around the back, is it? Never underestimate Apple's stupidity.
  • Reply 336 of 587
    How would someone get a hold of one of these???

Unless steve made this to throw us WAY off! lol!!

if so he's lost his mind
  • Reply 337 of 587
    is it just me or does the "bootup" movie not work?
  • Reply 338 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>My vote is that this is a fake, but probably the best fake I have ever seen. I've seen dozens of "Apple PDA" photoshop jobs, but they were all pretty obvious fakes. This one is very elaborate.

[...]

I will say, though, that they certainly did their homework. The OS on the screen really does look like what a "modern" version of the Newton OS might look like.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes the first winner here are those who did it. That is real talent. Now go use it to better the world instead oftrying to fool us

The second winner is LuckyJno, who pointed out exactly what was wrong with the first movie.
  • Reply 339 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by SkullMac:

<strong>

The iBook has both USB ports on the left side. Not very convenient for a right-hander to run the mouse cord around the back, is it? Never underestimate Apple's stupidity.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This has more to do about the laws of physics than stupidity. It seems a stylus placed there would be prone to sliding out a lot or getting snagged and left behind in your pocket. So this coupled with the extremely springy on button makes this PDA a pocket disaster. You put it into your pocket, the lightest touch hits the on button and the battery drains. You take it out, pen slides out and you find out that it's dead and you've lost all your data. Plus that stupid useless knob that could have easily been reduced to an icon has been pressed up against you all day. What a design nightmare this device is.
  • Reply 339 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>

Look at the text *as* he's writing. Even though the unit is shaking a little bit, the text remains absolutely motionless. That last little nudge is the only movement in it. Probably just moved the layer upwards a little after noticing he had pushed the unit up a little.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I did. I used the same method agian and the text "Hello" moves as well.

Are you guys enlarging this and puting tape or stickies on your monitor for point reference? If you did, I'm sure you'd see what I am seeing. The text moves. All of it.