Mac mini misses its target consumer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 289
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

I'm wondering if Bill has taken his finger out of your back yet? Has he? Because i don't want his arm in the way of my foot when i insert it up your @ss. Oh i feel better..keep talking Bill..I mean steve666

Congradulations on the biggest waste of time post of the night.

Now, after you get your head wedged out of Jobs' ass maybe you can begin a rational discussion.
  • Reply 42 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Worst part, IMO, is skimping on the ports.

No Mic port. This rules out many business sales, unless they want to dick around with flakey USB adaptors.

A/V outputs are not of high enough quality to use in a home theater. There goes another potential market for the Mini: a home entertainment system server.

No way to upgrade nothin'. Video chipset? Nope. CPU? Nope. RAM? Sort of, but an Apple tech has got to do it. Yet more landfill fodder from Apple.

It's just overwhelmingly mediocre all around.

At least the lack of a keyboard/mouse can be rectified by spending more money. No amount of money will put a new video card in the Mini or add an extra port to it.

Please, you're making sense, noone here will understand you
  • Reply 43 of 289
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

not really since you can get a PC for the same price with a monitor, ekyboard, mouse, and speakers

OK - see that's a completely different issue.

The Mac Mini isn't for PC people who want a $499 PC. These people don't have any money and Apple won't make anything off of them.

The Mini is for PC people who already have a PC, and want a Mac, but don't like how expensive the PowerMacs are, and don't want to have to buy another monitor (or they want to "CHOOSE" the monitor). We have heard it over and over and over again.

Now they have exactly what they have been asking for. No, it's not "upgradeable", because that would blow away the incentive to purchase the high-margin PowerMacs. But it's a Mac, it runs OS X, and it's cheap.

Now it is their turn to put up or shut up. Apple is NOT going to give them a $499 "tower" that they can order parts from NewEgg and get off cheap. Towers are bigger and heavier and cost more to ship. Apple's mobo is custom - there is no reason to have a tower just to fit the mobo. Also, because it is custom, they don't just order 2 million of them off the shelf. It costs more.

Apple's margins are traditionally 27% or more, and I am assuming this product is no different. They have also done a great job in getting the upsell to more RAM, mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth, 802.11g, and DVD-R. If Apple cut margin to the bone on this, it would not be sustainable.

The best thing about this product, IMO, is that it will be a way to increase OS share. More OS X share means more potential money for developers, and maybe there is one who wants to write a killer speech-recognition app or a CAD app or other vertical apps and needs a few million more units to write for.
  • Reply 44 of 289
    I do agree that having a proper Mac keyboard is a necessity, given the position of the command keys. However, I was thinking that maybe Apple's strategy is to try to upsell the bluetooth keyboard and mouse...
  • Reply 45 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

I do agree that having a proper Mac keyboard is a necessity, given the position of the command keys. However, I was thinking that maybe Apple's strategy is to try to upsell the bluetooth keyboard and mouse...

That might be, but then they should have installed bluetooth standard
  • Reply 46 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

No amount of money will put a new video card in the Mini

For the Love of All Things Holy, would you people please stop chanting about upgrading the damn video card. Is that written above some locker room where PCers go to work out or something? I swear they all say the exact same thing.

Apple does not want you to upgrade the video card. There is no video card. There is no reason to upgrade the video card. It makes no sense to put a $500 video card in a $499 computer.
  • Reply 47 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

Exactly.
  • Reply 48 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

OK - see that's a completely different issue.

The Mac Mini isn't for PC people who want a $499 PC. These people don't have any money and Apple won't make anything off of them.

The Mini is for PC people who already have a PC, and want a Mac, but don't like how expensive the PowerMacs are, and don't want to have to buy another monitor (or they want to "CHOOSE" the monitor). We have heard it over and over and over again.

Now they have exactly what they have been asking for. No, it's not "upgradeable", because that would blow away the incentive to purchase the high-margin PowerMacs. But it's a Mac, it runs OS X, and it's cheap.

Now it is their turn to put up or shut up. Apple is NOT going to give them a $499 "tower" that they can order parts from NewEgg and get off cheap. Towers are bigger and heavier and cost more to ship. Apple's mobo is custom - there is no reason to have a tower just to fit the mobo. Also, because it is custom, they don't just order 2 million of them off the shelf. It costs more.

Apple's margins are traditionally 27% or more, and I am assuming this product is no different. They have also done a great job in getting the upsell to more RAM, mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth, 802.11g, and DVD-R. If Apple cut margin to the bone on this, it would not be sustainable.

The best thing about this product, IMO, is that it will be a way to increase OS share. More OS X share means more potential money for developers, and maybe there is one who wants to write a killer speech-recognition app or a CAD app or other vertical apps and needs a few million more units to write for.

Yes, the point was to increase market share, but to do so you need lower profit margins and just sell more of them, a la Dell. Their business model works.

Apple, by cutting this computer to the bare minimum is giving people reason to think about the purchase. What Apple needs, IMHO, is a product that PC users say-Thats it, I'm buying one! I dont think Apple hit the bullseye with the mini.

I hope I'm wrong, but knowing PC users, I think Apple has missed many sales by being A)Too fancy and B) Too cheap.
  • Reply 49 of 289
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

That might be, but then they should have installed bluetooth standard

If they don't install BT standard on the $1900 iMac what makes you think they'd even consider adding it to the Mac mini?
  • Reply 50 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

For the Love of All Things Holy, would you people please stop chanting about upgrading the damn video card. Is that written above some locker room where PCers go to work out or something? I swear they all say the exact same thing.

Apple does not want you to upgrade the video card. There is no video card. There is no reason to upgrade the video card. It makes no sense to put a $500 video card in a $499 computer.

I actually agree with you on this point-this isn't a gamers machine.

It would have been a nice option, but video cards rarely get upgraded by the average consumer.

The PM G5 is a gamers machine.

OK, thats it for me for the night. Carry on.
  • Reply 51 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

If they don't install BT standard on the $1900 iMac what makes you think they'd even consider adding it to the Mac mini?

Then that wasnt part of their strategy
  • Reply 52 of 289
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Hmmm here i sit staring at my powermac(quicksilver) dual ghz, all those slots. I haven't upgraded a thing since I bought it with the free ram still sitting at a gig.

I look at the mini and well it's really all i needed.

GG GF

steve/ bill you listening?
  • Reply 53 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Hmmm here i sit stairing at my powermac(quicksilver) dual ghz, all those slots. I haven't upgraded a thing since I bought it with the free ram still sitting at a gig.

I look at the mini and well it's really all i needed.

GG GF

steve/ bill you listening?

It may be all I need also, but we think different.

Do PC users?
  • Reply 54 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Why cant I just add RAM myself? Why does Apple charge so much for RAM?

The RAM issue is the only sticking point in my opinion. It made me think twice before ordering mine with 512MB. I'm sure in a few months, I'll have to haul it to the shop to get them to install a Gigabyte stick. I'm guessing this Mac has "thermal paste" like the iMac 2, preventing consumer access.
  • Reply 55 of 289
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    The market is for those wanting to try OS X..to switch. For mom and dad that are sick of the new dell seeming slow after 2 months with adware spyware viruses. The ones that are tired of having to do the extra work just to keep her running.

It's a perfect way to just unplug the box and plug in the new one to the monitor and keyboard. Oh and please with the keyboards not being usb....sell them that adapter for $20 or whatever, or are you that bad at selling pc's?

I think they are the perfect way to get those outsiders looking in. Wanting to take a chance but not a costly chance like that new PC, because bottomline is even PC users like cheap, but most spend about a grand. Why, because

I just don't know where you get off bashing the least expensive mac EVER. You got that..EVER
  • Reply 56 of 289
    Quote:

They are trying to sell to customers that are used to buying things the PC way. They will price compare.

They will say, how can they sell a computer without a mouse and keyboard? Why cant I just add RAM myself? Why does Apple charge so much for RAM?

These will be issues even though you guys dont want to see it.

Apple can't compete on price with P.C.'s - no way. But I don;t think that's the point. This machine is supposed to be the cheapest Mac, not the cheapest P.C.

And while it doesn't come with a keyboard and monitor, it also doesn't come with other things as well, like virus and spyware vulnerabilities.

Plus there are all the things it does come with - iLife and OSX.

It's positives do a good job of balancing out the negatives - I think it's going to do great. I'm just happy they didn't put a fucking G3 into it.
  • Reply 57 of 289
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Yes, the point was to increase market share, but to do so you need lower profit margins and just sell more of them, a la Dell. Their business model works.

You are off. Apple is sitting around the low 20's (%) for profit margin, but spending a buttload of money for R&D and application development, so their margins are null...

now Dell Has some of the highest profit margins and the lowest cost in the industry according to the Forbes link from may 04' most recent I could find in a quick search. Apple is not Dell, and they could never be because they actually produce something. I guess you couldn't understand that. I asked you for numbers and all you can do is say go and look. I already know, you do not, you are just spouting off whatever comes into that tiny closed brain of yours and not looking at the real facts of industry.

end of line...
  • Reply 58 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

You are off. Apple is sitting around the low 20's (%) for profit margin, but spending a buttload of money for R&D and application development, so their margins are null...

I really wonder what their cost is on the Mac mini. I mean, the thing has no hinges, latches, complex molds or anything. On top of all that, shipping costs must be a complete joke - 12 of those things must take up the same space as a regular P.C. same goes for the iPod shuffle.
  • Reply 59 of 289
    To everyone talking about how much more you get with the cheap PC please follow the steps below.

1. Go to dell.com.

2. Click the cheap PC (AKA Dimension 3000).

3. Leave it on the 2.4 processor (I'm not getting into the speed comparison)

4. Bump to Windows XP Professional.

5. Move to the 1 year warranty. Longer phone service than Apple but you'll be on hold for hours and won't be able to understand the tech anyway. You also can visit a Mac Genius at the Apple Store for free help.

6. Leave it on the 512 memory

7. Leave it on the 40 Gig Drive.

8. Select CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

9. Add RecordNow! since you'll want to make it a little easier to burn...

10. Save $50 remove the monitor.

11. Add IEEE 1394.

12. Click Update Price.

New total $685 +$50 mail in rebate. This still lacks option to add Wireless and Bluetooth.

Now, try this.

1. Go to Apple.com

2. Get to the Mac Mini on the Apple Store.

3. Up it to 512 MB Ram

4. Add wired keyboard and mouse

5. Click Update

New total $632. This also includes a REAL GPU (32 MB rather than integrated that uses your CPU).

I'd say Apple did a pretty good job with the price and it will still look GOOD on your desk!
  • Reply 60 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomahawk

New total $632. This also includes a REAL GPU (32 MB rather than integrated that uses your CPU).

Don't forget free fucking shipping!