PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 581 of 632
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

... Not that AMD's plans always result in great advances - they still don't have a viable 64 bit laptop chip - but at least I know where they are going. With Apple it is all rumors! ...

Not a fair comparison, because AMD is a chip company, not a computer company. We know all about the 970MP.

Besides, the dual-core Athlon64 desktop chips were announced without any prior warning, not even rumors. Don't think AMD doesn't have to play their cards close to the chest. We don't have any specific roadmap from them. We only learned thru rumors - just a few days ago - what the pricing on the dual-core Opterons would be. (Whoof!)

Actually, this idea that 'in the PC world we know what will come out in the future' is a myth. Those companies are, if anything, even more worried about the Osborne Effect, since they have little or no advantage over their competitors, and little or no buyer loyalty.
  • Reply 582 of 632
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krzysiek

Apple Store:

PowerMac G5 Dual - Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days

8)

End of waiting?

i wonder if they'll announce ANYthing new before tiger ships. i just can't see, with all their web site hype over it comeing out, that they would demote the tiger countdown in place of new products (unless all new products will just go into their minor slots underneath... or a rotating main image on the home page.
  • Reply 583 of 632
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i wonder if they'll announce ANYthing new before tiger ships. i just can't see, with all their web site hype over it comeing out, that they would demote the tiger countdown in place of new products (unless all new products will just go into their minor slots underneath... or a rotating main image on the home page.

A minor 200MHz speed bump may not get any mention at all.
  • Reply 584 of 632
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Wait. Chances are you don't need a Powermac in the next few months. New powermacs shouldnt be out any later than June at WWDC. Look it this way: As much as you want a new PowerMac now...how will you feel if you get one, and then new ones come out a few days, weeks or months later?
  • Reply 585 of 632
    I'm sure the next PM's will be fantastic, but I thought real hard about

blowing $3000-$4000 on just the CPU Alone,

then saw the Rev B dually's for $1699.

Today I got an outrageous deal on a Dell 2405FPW 24" HD display

OUTRAGEOUS! I tell ya!

and now I have a great system for a total just over $2700.

arriving next week.

Considering that I spent the same amount on my 300MHz Beige G3 alone 7 years ago, I'm feeling pretty good.
  • Reply 586 of 632
    Fallen,

I'm doing the same thing with my order, I'm going with a Dell (i hate saying it) 24" and a Lacie 19" for color work, These two screens are less than the cost of the Apple 23" alone. Barefeets.com just anounced they are going with the Dell 24" as they outperform the Apple display in every way except looks. (sigh... i do love the style of the Cinima Displays)

I just saw 2 gig (2x1gig) upgrade kits for the 2.7 PM's at Other World Computing for $250!!!!!! I have always shopped Crucial for Ram, and have had great luck with quality and stability, never ever a problem. I wonder, what is the opinion of the group regarding cheap Ram like OWC offers? It's literaly half the price or less, and barefeets recomends it. Any thoughts? tia
  • Reply 587 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

I just saw 2 gig (2x1gig) upgrade kits for the 2.7 PM's at Other World Computing for $250!!!!!! I have always shopped Crucial for Ram, and have had great luck with quality and stability, never ever a problem. I wonder, what is the opinion of the group regarding cheap Ram like OWC offers? It's literaly half the price or less, and barefeets recomends it. Any thoughts? tia

I just got two 1 gig sticks from Crucial for $283.22 + tax & s/h.
  • Reply 588 of 632
    Well I gone and done it. I'm now rolling a G5 2.3 x 2. It's friggin' nice. What a gorgeous machine (the G5 is how a real power-user machine should look, IMHO,) and it's SOOOO much quieter than my G4 MDD. Night and day.

I transfered from my old machine via FW target mode which actually took a couple hours. It seems to work pretty much perfectly though.

My only complaint so far is that the Radeon 9600 has two DVI ports and no ADC. I sport dual Apple ADC displays, so I'm limited to just using my 20" via DVI -> ADC converter. I'm not going to buy another as I'm looking to get an ATI X800 which has an ADC. On the other hand, the manual makes reference to a X850, listed beyond the 6800 performance-wise. A reference to a X850 was also seen on the Apple Store online. I get the impression that it will be an X800 with 512 MB RAM! I'm going to hold off for a while on the X800 to see if the Apple OEM X850 makes an appearance.

I've yet to try Final Cut Pro, which is my main concern. I also want to get ahold of that Motion 1.0 demo that was floating about, now that I can handle it. I'm grabbing the Final Cut Studio upgrade as soon as it appears.

If was using anything faster than a dual gig MDD before, and I didn't need the power for FCP, and to use Motion, I would have waited for the PowerMac "ultra" that's bound to happen later this year, or early next. Regardless, I'm damn happy with my 2.3 x 2 right now. It looks to be the best machine I've ever owned.
  • Reply 589 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Wait. Chances are you don't need a Powermac in the next few months. New powermacs shouldnt be out any later than June at WWDC. Look it this way: As much as you want a new PowerMac now...how will you feel if you get one, and then new ones come out a few days, weeks or months later?

Are you joking? When has Apple even updated Powermacs twice in a two month period?
  • Reply 590 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rhombus

Are you joking? When has Apple even updated Powermacs twice in a two month period?

or once?
  • Reply 591 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Well I gone and done it. I'm now rolling a G5 2.3 x 2. It's friggin' nice. What a gorgeous machine (the G5 is how a real power-user machine should look, IMHO,) and it's SOOOO much quieter than my G4 MDD. Night and day.

I ordered my very first Mac Friday afternoon. I went with the dual 2.0 GHz system. I uppped it to 1 gig of RAM. I decided to go with the dual 2.0 GHz system over the dual 2.3 GHz system so I could take the $500 that I saved and put it towards an Apple 20" Cinema display.

I got confirmation from Apple today that the 20" Cinema display, the .Mac retail box, and the AppleCare package were shipped today. The system itself is going to be few days later.

Oh well, I can sit here and look at the blank Cinema display and just dream until the G5 system gets here.
  • Reply 592 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I ordered my very first Mac Friday afternoon. I went with the dual 2.0 GHz system. I uppped it to 1 gig of RAM. I decided to go with the dual 2.0 GHz system over the dual 2.3 GHz system so I could take the $500 that I saved and put it towards an Apple 20" Cinema display.

CONGRATS! You're going to be very happy. These G5s are sweet.

And welcome to the Mac world! You have two major reasons to rejoice.
  • Reply 593 of 632
    My new G5 2.0 will arrive around 5/3 and the Dell 24" display

the following week between the 10th and 12th.

The only thing sure to kill your Snoopy dance for a great new G5 system

is the extra money you need for ProTools LE or M-Powered

or Logic 7 Pro.

Then there's all those F/W goodies you need from

MOTU, Mackie or M-Audio just to get started.

Now.. if... I ...can.. just.... get... this... hunk... of 1/4" aluminum to bend

so I can fab my own bootleg display pedestal. Ugh!

• Reply 594 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    yep, am also going to let the money jump and get a powermac-

2.3, 1gb ram, 6800 ultra - on education price

YUM!! hopefully order it this week.

all that waiting for not much is kinda annoying, but hey, managed to survive.
  • Reply 595 of 632
    power applepower apple Posts: 335member
    Just ordered:

? Dual 2 GHz

? 3 GB RAM (3rd party)

? 2 x 250 GB HD (extra HD, third party)

? 16x Dual Layer DVD (standard)

? Radeon 9650 with 256MB VRAM (I guess core image will like the extra VRAM, but not going to pay for a 9800 or 6800 - instead I will will wait until the Radeon x800 drops in price in a year or two)

? Apple Cinema Display 20" (Fuck dell, I'm paying the extra price to get the Apple!)

Can't wait

EDIT: cancelled order for extra 2 x 512 MB RAM - made it 2 x 1 GB instead
  • Reply 596 of 632
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

[snip]

Apple Cinema Display 20" (Fuck dell, I'm paying the extra price to get the Apple!)

in the netherlands the dell 20" and the apple 20" have the same price: ? 689.
  • Reply 597 of 632
    Anyone comparing prices on the Apple vs Dell displays should use every discount eligibility available.

Othewise, you may be paying WAY too much.

You WILL NOT get your best prices online.

You have to speak with the small business or education reps directly.

If you play your cards right, you can literally get TWO Dell 2405FPW 24" HD displays for the price of ONE Apple 23"
  • Reply 598 of 632
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I am ordering the dual 2.7 with the Dell 24" and a Lacie 19" crt for color work. Does anyone know what I'll need to run both monitors with the 9650 video card? Will I need anohter card as well? Would I be better off with the X800 card for 2D work? I wonder if there is any noticable diference between the 9650 and X800 for general interface responsivness? thanks for any advice!
  • Reply 599 of 632
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

I am ordering the dual 2.7 with the Dell 24" and a Lacie 19" crt for color work. Does anyone know what I'll need to run both monitors with the 9650 video card? Will I need anohter card as well? Would I be better off with the X800 card for 2D work? I wonder if there is any noticable diference between the 9650 and X800 for general interface responsivness? thanks for any advice!

The 9650 has two DVI connectors. So I think you should be just fine to run those monitors, assuming the Lacie accepts DVI.

I'm not that you'd see a big difference between the 9650 and X800 in basic 2D. They both have the same amount of memory. Of course you could upgrade to an X800 in the future. Hopefully we'll also have an X850 option too.
  • Reply 600 of 632
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

The only thing sure to kill your Snoopy dance for a great new G5 system

is the extra money you need for ProTools LE or M-Powered

or Logic 7 Pro.

Then there's all those F/W goodies you need from

MOTU, Mackie or M-Audio just to get started.

I hear ya. A video setup is all the worse with decks, NTSC monitors, capture cards...

Just do your research before you buy, and try to keep it simple. You'll add on as you need later.