Got my iPod Shuffle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smatanovic

Who the hell wants to listen to 128k AAC? It sounds like crap. That's the whole reason I ripped in Lossless...

I feel I'm letting myself in for some flaming here, but what the hell:

Through earphones, I cannot tell the difference between CD and 128 K AAC.

I can easily tell the difference between CD and 128 MP3 through earphones.

Any format below 192 through a proper HiFi sounds rubbish to me.

So, if you want an iPod shuffle, what's wrong with compressing the files you're putting onto it to AAC on the fly? If you are putting the music on an iPod, one would assume that you are planning to be doing something else whilst listening to the music. When you're out and about, can you really hear the difference between lossless and AAC? The point of the on-the-fly compression is that only shuffle music is AAC, the rest of your library can stay in any format you like. (Although, of course, loading your shuffle will take longer)
  • Reply 22 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I feel I'm letting myself in for some flaming here, but what the hell:

Through earphones, I cannot tell the difference between CD and 128 K AAC.

I can easily tell the difference between CD and 128 MP3 through earphones.

Any format below 192 through a proper HiFi sounds rubbish to me.

So, if you want an iPod shuffle, what's wrong with compressing the files you're putting onto it to AAC on the fly? If you are putting the music on an iPod, one would assume that you are planning to be doing something else whilst listening to the music. When you're out and about, can you really hear the difference between lossless and AAC? The point of the on-the-fly compression is that only shuffle music is AAC, the rest of your library can stay in any format you like. (Although, of course, loading your shuffle will take longer)

Maybe I misunderstand how the shuffle works: if only compresses the music it loads on the fly to AAC? The source stays unchanged? I guess that's different. Can anyone confirm this? I have no problem with a slower upload time if it means my lossless files remain intact.

As for when I use the iPod, it's usually commuting to work (20 minute walk) or traveling (by train and plane). I use sound-isolating canal phones (Shure e2c) which block out virtually all of the ambient noise. I'm no audiophile snob (though I admit to perusing headfi.org on occasion ) but I think that 128 b AAC sounds pretty flat and rough.
  • Reply 23 of 126
    Quote:

Maybe I misunderstand how the shuffle works: if only compresses the music it loads on the fly to AAC? The source stays unchanged? I guess that's different. Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't installed 4.7.1 due to the HYMN problems so can't confirm that myself, but that's what hmurchison implied.

Quote:

I use sound-isolating canal phones (Shure e2c) which block out virtually all of the ambient noise.

Me too! Brilliant, aren't they?
  • Reply 24 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm thinking that the shuffle is going to be big for people that do need to be active and thus they won't be paying attention to the total sound quality of songs.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm thinking that the shuffle is going to be big for people that do need to be active and thus they won't be paying attention to the total sound quality of songs.

Agreed. I was just being selfish and thinking about me and my needs... 8) So, what's the verdict, does it reencode on the fly? If so, it may well make a great gym companion. My wife still carries an old Sony walkman when she works out because she hates the interfaces of all of the flash players she's seen. The shuffle might be the one to make her finally drop that relic.
  • Reply 26 of 126
    Quote:

Agreed. I was just being selfish and thinking about me and my needs... 8) So, what's the verdict, does it reencode on the fly? If so, it may well make a great gym companion. My wife still carries an old Sony walkman when she works out because she hates the interfaces of all of the flash players she's seen. The shuffle might be the one to make her finally drop that relic.

The reviews I've read do indicate that it compresses on the fly while putting the music on the Shuffle. It does take longer to copy music that way, but I think it is a cool idea.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    ruudruud Posts: 20member
    From what I understand (not having an iPod shuffle myself (yet)), you don't HAVE to downconvert to 128 kbit AAC. If you downconvert to 256 kbit (or whatever minimum you find acceptable) yourself, you could upload that unmodified to the iPod shuffle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    Quote:

I haven't installed 4.7.1 due to the HYMN problems so can't confirm that myself, but that's what hmurchison implied.

Me too! Brilliant, aren't they?

Ever tried the Shure E5?

hey guys, I'm new.

I've been browsing the site for a while and might I say you guys rock. my family recieved their first macs over the Christmas holidays due to my persistent insisting that they rock. My sister got a powerbook (12 inch, 1.33, SD, 256MB, 60GB, Airport, Bluetooth) and my mom got an iBook ( 14 inch, 1.33, CD, 256MB, 60GB, Airport)

anyways, I've had an iPod for a while, bought a 3rd gen right before the 4th gen came out, used that for a while, (15GB,) sold it to my sister and now I have a 4G 20GB iPod..

and I'll most likely be one of the dudes who buys a shuffle... I can't wait, just got to get the expenditure past my financial advisor (AKA my mom..."but you already have an ipod").
  • Reply 29 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by ruud

From what I understand (not having an iPod shuffle myself (yet)), you don't HAVE to downconvert to 128 kbit AAC. If you downconvert to 256 kbit (or whatever minimum you find acceptable) yourself, you could upload that unmodified to the iPod shuffle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually have most, if not all of my music in Lossless (stuff from iTMS is obviouslyt in AAC). I guess I would have to downconvert everything...
  • Reply 30 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

and I'll most likely be one of the dudes who buys a shuffle... I can't wait, just got to get the expenditure past my financial advisor (AKA my mom..."but you already have an ipod").

It never changes. My wife says, "but isn't your other iPod working?"

And I love my Shure headphones. The only problem is they make everything else sound awful.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    so i'm a little confused, iTunes automatically converts all songs to 128KBs AAC for all music? or is it just when transfering to the shuffle? either way, I agree that its a crappy thing to do.....is there an on off switch (meaning convert, don't convert) ?
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frugle

so i'm a little confused, iTunes automatically converts all songs to 128KBs AAC for all music? or is it just when transfering to the shuffle? either way, I agree that its a crappy thing to do.....is there an on off switch (meaning convert, don't convert) ?

No, not for all music. For importing music from CDs, you have the choice of mp3 CBR, mp3 VBR and AAC all at a wide variety of bit rates, AIFF, WAV and Apple Lossless.

What we are debating is whether there is a setting to convert songs as they are being transferred to the shuffle, so that if you have all your library in (say) Apple Lossless (which the shuffle can't play), then you can keep your library as it is. Since I don't have a shuffle and there's no mention of this feature on Apple's website, I can't verify the existence of this setting, it's just that someone else in this thread implied it existed.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    Quote:

Since I don't have a shuffle and there's no mention of this feature on Apple's website, I can't verify the existence of this setting, it's just that someone else in this thread implied it existed.

That was me. I got the information from this review:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/revi...view/index.php

I quote:

Its first space-saving trick is to limit the kinds of files that can be played by the iPod shuffle. Unlike with other iPods, the iPod shuffle can?t play AIFF or Apple Lossless files?files that consume a lot of storage space (wav files, which consume the same 10MB per minute of stereo audio as AIFF files, can be played by the iPod shuffle, however). The next trick is found in iTunes? iPod preferences. Here you?ll discover the Convert Higher Bit Rate Songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod option. When this option is enabled, iTunes converts AIFF and Apple Lossless files to 128 kbps AAC files. Such a conversion reduces an AIFF file to about seven percent of its original size (and compromises audio quality in a way that those with discerning ears may find objectionable).
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

That was me. I got the information from this review:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/revi...view/index.php

I quote:

Its first space-saving trick is to limit the kinds of files that can be played by the iPod shuffle. Unlike with other iPods, the iPod shuffle can?t play AIFF or Apple Lossless files?files that consume a lot of storage space (wav files, which consume the same 10MB per minute of stereo audio as AIFF files, can be played by the iPod shuffle, however). The next trick is found in iTunes? iPod preferences. Here you?ll discover the Convert Higher Bit Rate Songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod option. When this option is enabled, iTunes converts AIFF and Apple Lossless files to 128 kbps AAC files. Such a conversion reduces an AIFF file to about seven percent of its original size (and compromises audio quality in a way that those with discerning ears may find objectionable).

I guess the question, then, is that conversion ONLY on the shuffle, and not on the source files on the computer?
  • Reply 35 of 126
    Quote:

I guess the question, then, is that conversion ONLY on the shuffle, and not on the source files on the computer?

Since it appears on the iPod preferences pain, and only appears when an iPod shuffle is connected, I think it is reasonable to assume it only effects files being copied to the shuffle--not the original source. This would square with the Meril Lynch report of long copy times with AIFF files as well.

However, I don't have a shuffle, so I can't say for sure. But it would surprise me greatly if it was not the case.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    Cool, thanks. I would appreciate the input of people who get their shuffles as to whether the downconversion happens only to the files that get transfered to the shuffle (and that the source files remain unchanged).

Thanks!

AdL
  • Reply 37 of 126
    Everything I have read indicates that the AIFF -> AAC conversion is done on the fly. That is, the music on the computer will stay lossless, but iTunes will create a compressed version to stick on the iPod shuffle. This is why the Merrill-Lynch analyst report was lamenting long synch times with AIFF files..on an older computer it might be a little painful (especially if it only has USB 1.1, further slowing things down).
  • Reply 38 of 126
    From the iPod shuffle User Guide:

Select ?Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod.?

Note:

If this option is selected, songs encoded in AIFF or Apple Lossless format are converted to 128 kbps when transferred to iPod shuffle (the song files in iTunes aren?t affected). Otherwise, iPod shuffle doesn?t play songs encoded in those formats.

BTW, here's the link to download a pdf verion of the user guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ipod/iPodshuffleUG.pdf
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by YoMaMa

From the iPod shuffle User Guide:

Select ?Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod.?

Note:

If this option is selected, songs encoded in AIFF or Apple Lossless format are converted to 128 kbps when transferred to iPod shuffle (the song files in iTunes aren?t affected). Otherwise, iPod shuffle doesn?t play songs encoded in those formats.

BTW, here's the link to download a pdf verion of the user guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ipod/iPodshuffleUG.pdf

That's *exactly* what I was looking for. Thank you!
  • Reply 40 of 126
    You?re welcomed smatanovic!

This discussion got me to thinking about my aging 3G, 15GB iPod. I too like to encode my music in a higher bit rate. The problem is my iTunes library has outgrown my iPod?s capacity which forces me to use playlists and the like to parse out the music I carry with me. Now, Apple has done a great job on this front but I really like the idea of carrying my entire music library with me so I?ve been considering purchasing a larger 4G version.

Today when I started researching this topic I got encouraged thinking that this ?Convert higher bitrate song? feature would be available to all iPods and I could postpone purchasing a new iPod a bit longer. Alas, reviewing the new help file accompanying iTunes v4.7.1.30, it appears that this conversion-on-the-fly feature is reserved for the iPod shuffle, only.

I realize this option is not for everyone but I am willing to make the tradeoff, at least temporarily. Anyone understand this feature differently?