Got my iPod Shuffle

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Here's another complaint. The Shuffle doesn't fit into any USB port I have. If I plug it into my powerbook the adjacent USB port can't be used. That's where my mouse goes. At work I can't plug it into the Dell upside down angled down wtf were they thinking USB ports. To plug it into the back of Dell I have to unplug the serial mouse or keyboard as they are adjacent too.

The Shuffle is too wide.

You can get a USB extension cable for dirt cheap at any computer supply store, or if you feel like splurging get the dock from Apple. These all have standard sized USB plugs. I had this same problem with a PC that I once built. The front mounted USB ports were recessed in a very cool asthetic way, but it limited the approach to the port. The extension cord solved my problem just fine.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Here's another complaint. The Shuffle doesn't fit into any USB port I have. If I plug it into my powerbook the adjacent USB port can't be used. That's where my mouse goes. At work I can't plug it into the Dell upside down angled down wtf were they thinking USB ports. To plug it into the back of Dell I have to unplug the serial mouse or keyboard as they are adjacent too.

The Shuffle is too wide.

I don't know if this helps, but if the PowerBook ports are the same distance apart as the iBook, it will work just fine. I plug mine in all the time when using a USB broadband modem, and although it is not perfectly straight, I have never had any problems with either device not being properly connected.
  • Reply 103 of 126
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I don't know if this helps, but if the PowerBook ports are the same distance apart as the iBook, it will work just fine. I plug mine in all the time when using a USB broadband modem, and although it is not perfectly straight, I have never had any problems with either device not being properly connected.

15" and 17" PowerBooks have a USB either side. iBooks USB ports are on the left. 12" PowerBooks are the same as 12" iBooks though (cost).
  • Reply 104 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Some site took it apart already... the cap has two spring mounted balls that fir the holes in the USB-connector.

Off-topic:

Can I format an iPod (regular and shuffle) for PC on my Mac and still do the initial setup on the Mac. It really bugs me that it formats it for the Mac by default as I have some Windows PCs that I'd like to use to feed it.

Also, can the data portion of the shuffle be PC formated on a Mac?

You can use disk utility to format it as a PC disk. Then you can sync with iTunes and use it on Macs and PCs.

The reason it automatically formats Mac iPods for Mac is because PC formatting doesn't allow certain characters to be in file names. It also has a stricter limit on the number of characters. To avoid problems when transferring files the iPods are automatically formatted for Macs.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

You can get a USB extension cable for dirt cheap at any computer supply store, or if you feel like splurging get the dock from Apple. These all have standard sized USB plugs. I had this same problem with a PC that I once built. The front mounted USB ports were recessed in a very cool asthetic way, but it limited the approach to the port. The extension cord solved my problem just fine.

Sure that's fine but am I going to carry that everywhere I go? I put my powerpoint file on my Suffle and lug around a 4 foot USB cable with it so I can plug it into what ever computer I'll be doing a presentation off of

I think I'd rather have the Suffle thicker the other way to save some space on the width.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

You can use disk utility to format it as a PC disk. Then you can sync with iTunes and use it on Macs and PCs.

The reason it automatically formats Mac iPods for Mac is because PC formatting doesn't allow certain characters to be in file names. It also has a stricter limit on the number of characters. To avoid problems when transferring files the iPods are automatically formatted for Macs.

Sounds good to me... but what characters cannot be used?

Really OT: If have some problems exchanging documents (.doc, .xls, .pdf) between the PC and my iBook: Certain characters (Math symbols, currency symbols etc.) are either not properly displayed or not displayed at all. They can be typed in, though. Is there any solutions to this?
  • Reply 107 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Sounds good to me... but what characters cannot be used?

Really OT: If have some problems exchanging documents (.doc, .xls, .pdf) between the PC and my iBook: Certain characters (Math symbols, currency symbols etc.) are either not properly displayed or not displayed at all. They can be typed in, though. Is there any solutions to this?

you cannot put a file with a question mark on to a windows drive. if the file contains '?' you have to replace it. The norm is to replace it with a _ this is the same for colons and other grammatical characters. So if the song was Can You Feel the Love Tonight? a windows iPod would need _ at the end. If you tried to copy the file to it you would receive an error.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    I got one at the Bellevue Square Apple Store last Saturday. I love it. However, they didn't have the 1GB model in stock.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I got one at the Bellevue Square Apple Store last Saturday. I love it. However, they didn't have the 1GB model in stock.

i don't know anywhere that has received the 1GB one yet.
  • Reply 110 of 126
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

If you're in Australia I know of somewhere. They also sold out the 400 they got the day they received them
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

If you're in Australia I know of somewhere. They also sold out the 400 they got the day they received them

In the UK CanComUK have got some and so have CWonline. I ordered mine last night and will cancel Apple when they phone to confirm! It seems 1GB are beginning to arrive in the UK.
  • Reply 112 of 126
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    Hooray! I bought my 512 today. cancelled the apple store order because my bookstore got it first. Just unpacked it and now I'm trying to figure out what to name it. boy is it ever SMALL! I'm so happy! wheeee!
  • Reply 113 of 126
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

target, circuit city, best buy..... chances are one of the 3 by you will have one in stock.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

target, circuit city, best buy..... chances are one of the 3 by you will have one in stock.

the store (not apple store) i bought my shuffle from had more 1GB ones on the shelves than the 512mb shuffles.
  • Reply 115 of 126
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

the store (not apple store) i bought my shuffle from had more 1GB ones on the shelves than the 512mb shuffles.

yea. i got mine in 3 days from Best Buy online. (time to ship basically)
  • Reply 116 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I was referring to the UK. Anyway I did correct myself. My 1GB is arriving today.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I haven't installed 4.7.1 due to the HYMN problems so can't confirm that myself, but that's what hmurchison implied.

call me slow or whatever...but what is HYMN? (other than part of female bits)

I've been having trouble with iTunes locking up in the middle of songs...quite embarassing when you are DJing a sorority formal
  • Reply 118 of 126
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Anyone try an iPod shuffle with the older, clamshell iBooks? My sister has an original tangerine iBook 300, and is desperately awaiting her name to come up on the shuffle waiting list at the local Apple Store. Is she going to have trouble using it when it finally arrives?
  • Reply 119 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

call me slow or whatever...but what is HYMN? (other than part of female bits)

I've been having trouble with iTunes locking up in the middle of songs...quite embarassing when you are DJing a sorority formal

What hardware are you using. My iTunes has never been sluggish or locked up unless I was doing heavy CPU use and the CPU couldn't concentrate on iTunes at all. How much RAM do you have? This is not normal!!
  • Reply 120 of 126
    Quote:

What hardware are you using. My iTunes has never been sluggish or locked up unless I was doing heavy CPU use and the CPU couldn't concentrate on iTunes at all. How much RAM do you have? This is not normal!!

1 ghz TiBook...1 gig of ram

iTunes was the only think open...think some of my files get corrupted