Powerbook Speed Update or Tiger Update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What would you rather wait for? A bump in speed or slight drop in price for the powerbook? or when tiger is released and comes with the computer?

The way I see it, probably a speed bump or minor update will come well before tiger...so I am probably gonna wait for tiger and just get both.

EDIT: This is in the case that you are geting a powerbook, not if its a powerbook or tiger(somebody below didn't really get the concept).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    I'm not buying a new PB but I'm definitely going to get tiger. SO WHOOOOOOOO TIGER!
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

EDIT: This is in the case that you are geting a powerbook, not if its a powerbook or tiger(somebody below didn't really get the concept).

Hi Chikara,

Yes, I do plan to buy a Powerbook before the year is over. I was set on buying one with the update that we're expecting in the next two weeks. I was ready to purchase as soon as they became available. However, I'm now thinking about waiting until a possible G5 Powerbook in the summer. I really don't know what to do. I don't feel like waiting until Tiger because, if Tiger comes out in March, that would make it only closer until the possible G5 Powerbooks. However, I think maybe I could wait until G5 Powerbooks, if they come out in the summer, and then I would get Tiger too, which would be good.

However, unless Apple raises the price on the OS, when Tiger comes out, I'm not too worried about having to pay for Tiger. It isn't that much to buy the OS.

Probably the next step in my decision process will be when we see the new Powerbooks released, probably very soon. If the specs look good to me, and they take $100-$200 off, I might go for it.

I really think you should get a system, when you like the specs and price. Unless it is a terrible hardship, I think you should get the Powerbook, when you like the configuration, and then just upgrade to Tiger, when it is released.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'd rather they lower the price of the powerbooks 100-300... and perhaps a minor bump, then to watch them linger any longer.

At this point I'll take a powerbook g4 over a powerbookg5 because of power consumption and heat.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I bought my powerbook before the end of the year.

Computers change too much. You can wait for one to come out.... but there will always be another update and something to make you say "Man, I wish I had waited." but oh well.

The PB does plenty of what I need it to do. And I am completely satisfied with it. Anyways... new computers are exchanged like cars in america. And I see myself doing the same thing.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I'd rather they lower the price of the powerbooks 100-300... and perhaps a minor bump, then to watch them linger any longer.

At this point I'll take a powerbook g4 over a powerbookg5 because of power consumption and heat.

I totally agree with this. Actually I think I said it a few months ago when I was sure there would be no G5 in the PowerBook for a while.

The G4 is still a good_/ actually,,, an Excellent processor, and it's not necessary, BUT (<-Big But Here) Apple is in a position now where every move they make is being viewed by a much broader audience, and to be criticized for not upgrading to a G5 in their Power (Pro) Laptop, could seriously hurt the good word of mouth they are getting on wall street for their decision making, and from the PC users taking notice of them because of the iPod, and the attractive new Mac Mini. (good karma)

Not getting a G5 in a PowerBook could cause a precognitive stigma in the back of the minds of those who may have been swayed just enough from the PC side because of Apples newly found *iconic status* from the iPod, and sway the attraction from the New Mac Mini.

Negative word of Apple traveling down the same old road again could shift the momentum in the other direction. However.. Getting a G5 in the PowerBook would be another boost of good fortune, and the outlook of having a Mac Mini, or any Mac for that matter would appear to be more of a wise choice due to Apples appearance of traveling foreword into their future throughout adversity.

It's going to be an interesting year. Lets all hope this one bestows good fortune for us all.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    ibook911; you are one whole step ahead of me. :-D I have been waiting for a powerbook since september. I figured I didn't need it during that semester of school so i thought I would wait till january, and since mac world SF didn't have an update I didn't get one and got a shuffle. Now that I know my schedule for school and don't really need a powerbook again, I figured I will wait until summer or so.

....idk. why I explained all that, the bottom line of this reply is...HOW FEASIBLE is it for there to be a "G5 powerbook" by the end of summer?
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

....idk. why I explained all that, the bottom line of this reply is...HOW FEASIBLE is it for there to be a "G5 powerbook" by the end of summer?

There are a lot of people who would disagree with me, but I believe it is very feasible we will see a G5 Powerbook, or something similar by the end of the summer. I believe it will happen, and I hope it happens. I'm hoping they show it off in June, and then surely it would be available by the end of summer. Yes, it is some "hoping," but we've also heard whispers.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    I want it to happen.... but the odds are it won't happen ... IMO
  • Reply 9 of 75
    when the hell are these new updated powerbooks arriving ?

is steve treating us like idiots or what ?

this macworld just for announcing a mini G4 and an ipod without screen was a joke

everyone was expecting a new pbook

thinksecret was always right with its rumors by the past...
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

when the hell are these new updated powerbooks arriving ?

is steve treating us like idiots or what ?

this macworld just for announcing a mini G4 and an ipod without screen was a joke

everyone was expecting a new pbook

thinksecret was always right with its rumors by the past...

Not always, they were off on the last Powermac announcement date by a week also, I'd wait till tomorrow I bet you money they will be announced then.

Also TS was wrong on the fastest Powermac speed (they said dual 2.6).
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Though I completely agree with onlooker, that not coming up with a PB G5 soon could hurt apple's reputation, I don't understand why almost everybody is so impatient about it coming out. I mean how much power do you really need? I work with very processor intensive applications (such as Photoshop) and my 17" PB 1.5 Ghz G4 with 1 Gb RAM runs GREAT! Plus, think about all the bugs that have been worked out of the G4 line by now, these are most likely some of the last models we'll see in it. When it comes to computers new technology almost always means new bugs.

So for Apple's sake I would like to see a cool, and slick new PB G5 come out relatively soon, but I certainly think that the G4 line has reached its peak, and let me just say: what a view!
  • Reply 12 of 75
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm pretty sure tomorrow's the day.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Though I completely agree with onlooker, that not coming up with a PB G5 soon could hurt apple's reputation, I don't understand why almost everybody is so impatient about it coming out. I mean how much power do you really need? I work with very processor intensive applications (such as Photoshop) and my 17" PB 1.5 Ghz G4 with 1 Gb RAM runs GREAT! Plus, think about all the bugs that have been worked out of the G4 line by now, these are most likely some of the last models we'll see in it. When it comes to computers new technology almost always means new bugs.

So for Apple's sake I would like to see a cool, and slick new PB G5 come out relatively soon, but I certainly think that the G4 line has reached its peak, and let me just say: what a view!

to be honest i don't need a G5 powerbook

the fact is that i don't to be screwed by spending almost 2000 euros now (i'm french) for a product that would be updated a couple of days or weeks later

every option is expensive (ie a faster HD)

and if options become standards in the future update of the powerbook, i would feel like wasting my money

btw, by the past, was Apple used to update products AFTER the macworld without announcing it during the show ?

thx
  • Reply 14 of 75
    They always announce products right after MacWorld... don't worry they will come out and it will be a very low-key announcement.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:

They always announce products right after MacWorld... don't worry they will come out and it will be a very low-key announcement.

Well, Tuesday may be the day!!! This is what I'm looking for in the 12 inch I want to buy:

1.5 GHZ G4

5400 RPM drive standard

$100-$200 price drop

If that happens, I will place an order.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Though I completely agree with onlooker, that not coming up with a PB G5 soon could hurt apple's reputation,.../B]

Apples reputation? That no longer revolves around them making faster processors, THE only way Apples reputation would go down is if they didn't come out with a smaller iPod and more colors in one year. :-)
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:

i hope so !

your store is always updated before apple stores in europe

which means, i'll have to wait until wednesday to know... or tomorrow very late in the evening probably
  • Reply 18 of 75
    i've been waiting for so long to get a mac

sellers and friends told me not to buy in december and to wait until macworld

i read rumors on mac websites

and finally, the macworld arrived and steve didn't say a word about the powerbook

so i really hope it's gonna arrive tomorrow !
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Lol!!

You sound like me about 8 months ago waiting for the new Powermacs.... my day finally came... don't worry... yours will too .

Know that they will come out in a few weeks maximum, but i'm still putting my money on tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:

Know that they will come out in a few weeks maximum

a few weeks is an eternity for me...