12" Powerbooks in the Apple Stores

Comments

• Reply 61 of 153
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Superdrive 12" models are a custom order, so the Apple stores likely won't have them in stock.

However, our store in Anchorage (a local reseller) will have a bunch of Supers in stock. Those are gonna move like hotcakes.

Personally, I think I might still custom order one. I discovered that you can upgrade the 12" to a 60Gb hard drive for only $50 more through Apple's online store. That's a deal that's hard to pass up!
  • Reply 62 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I checked out the PowerBook today...first time seeing it without a dozen people pushing and shoving around me. I also saw the Burton Amp jacket. I can't say I've ever liked anything Burton makes, but the jacket's nice and conservatively styled. It's just black all around with no weird cuts or anything. It's not a heavy jacket at all, so it's suitable for just about anything. I also like the extra little pouch above the jacket where you plug in your earphones. Everything gets routed inside the jacket, the earphone wires come through the inside collar.
  • Reply 63 of 153
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I saw the 12" PB at Microcenter in KC and thought the speakers were plenty loud.

We put in a DVD and it was definitely louder than my icebook. Maybe it's just the range of sound with the third speaker but to me, it sounds much better.

If you want to fill the room, get some externals.
  • Reply 64 of 153
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Phew! I saw one at the Southpoint store yesterday and I was able to resist! I thought about having to avoid it entirely - just pick up my battery and leave - but I got sucked in. It wasn't as irresistable as I thought. I would have played more, but there was no internet access on it. WTF?? I guess they don't have airport ex. cards yet. Thank god.
  • Reply 65 of 153
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I just checked out the MiniBook at the Salem, NH Apple Store today.

I want one.

I'm going to wait at least one more generation, however, and get some more use out of my 800 MHz TiBook first, but the MiniBook is much closer than the TiBook (which I still think is great) to what I want out of a laptop.

It's amazing what a difference it makes to see the MiniBook in person. I'd looked at my TiBook before going to the Apple store, and mentally tried to chop off the left and right sides right up to the edge of the keyboard, shorten it a little from front to back, and, in my mind, make it just a little thicker.

My imaginary exercise left me thinking, "Hmmm. Smaller, but maybe not a big deal."

In person, however, the MiniBook felt wonderfully compact and light. The extra thickness didn't bother me, and the feeling of reduction in width and height was substantial. Like many others here, I can also say that the MiniBook gave the impression of being much sturdier than the TiBook.

One little detail that I'd wondered about until today: Yes, the MiniBook has an iBook-like battery latch which you need to turn with coin to open. To me, that's a great improvement over the TiBook's battery latch which is prone to accidental battery ejection if you brush up against the latch the wrong way.

I would miss my current nice big 15" wide screen some, but for portable use the trade-off is more than acceptable to me to get the extra ease of portability of a MiniBook.

One thing is certain: The 12" felt so good to me that there's no way I'd go UP to 17" from my 15", rather than down to 12".

As much as I love the current MiniBook, I still have a wish list of improvements that I'm hoping for while I wring a few more months use out my 800 MHz TiBook:
    • DVI port.

• More built-in memory.

• L3 cache. 512KB would do, though of course 1MB is preferable.

• Gigabit ethernet.

• Firewire 800.

• USB 2. (Not expecting Apple to give in on that anytime soon, however.)

• The mythical G4 7457, so that the computer will run cooler and the battery will last longer. If I had to choose between speed and battery life, I'd settle for the current 867 MHz, running cooler and longer. Best of both worlds, of course, would be a faster processor that you can optionally slow down when on battery power.

• I'd be willing to put up with slightly tinier pixels (but nothing too insane like some PC laptops) to squeeze a little more resolution out of the display. Maybe something like 840x1120 (completely non-standard, I know), which would yield a not-too-eye-straining 116 dpi.

• Keyboard backlight Ã* la Lapzilla.

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>
  • Reply 66 of 153
    My TiBook gets holy crap hot. The power adapter burned me the other day. Dammit, look out credit card, here comes mini! I'm getting one!
  • Reply 67 of 153
    Btw, the vents look like they could easily get blocked if you have it on your lap. :eek:

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>
  • Reply 68 of 153
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I saw one today at Woodfeld Mall in the boring ass suburbs. Why do people live there? Oh yea schools.

Anyway it rocks and I can't wait to get mine.
  • Reply 69 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>Superdrive 12" models are a custom order, so the Apple stores likely won't have them in stock.

However, our store in Anchorage (a local reseller) will have a bunch of Supers in stock. Those are gonna move like hotcakes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed. Bought a SuperDrive 12" today for a friend from the Apple SoHo store. It was a very clever move to have these in stock, because the temptation to buy was irresistable. Besides, I was frustrated at the crowd around the demo model and needed to be alone with one

I have a TiBook 1Ghz for myself, but I must confess this 12" is TIGHT and SOLID! Not "creaky" if you know what I mean. It is silent and light as a feather. Very very nice.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that "Full Screen" DVD playback of "Attack of the Clones" is not as smooth as "Normal Size" playback on the 12" or "Full Screen" on my TiBook. I assume this is due to the scaling factor. I haven't put the extra 512MB of RAM in yet, however.
  • Reply 70 of 153
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I just got back from Tysons and all I can say is I need one!

That is the coolest thing. The keyboard is much better than the PB of iBook. The screen looked good and the only critique I have is the RAM.

BTW, if you close the book and hook up an external monitor, can you run higher res than 1024x?

Awesome machine. I think I'll get one in a few months, I need to finish my suspension first.
  • Reply 71 of 153
    Target, what size disk was in the Superdrive 12"?

Thanks.
  • Reply 72 of 153
    40GB with 256MB of RAM.

BTW, I've noticed something curious as I install software, but I'm not sure what it is. Some mouse clicks seem to squeak -- or make a faint quack actually. I haven't figured out if this sound is mechanical (a spring in the trackpad button) or electronic in nature. It's kinda cute actually.
  • Reply 73 of 153
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>BTW, if you close the book and hook up an external monitor, can you run higher res than 1024x?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about closing it and still running an external monitor, but it does support external monitor with spanning up to 1600x1200 IIRC.

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: MCQ ]</p>
  • Reply 74 of 153
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>

BTW, if you close the book and hook up an external monitor, can you run higher res than 1024x?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://a1728.g.akamai.net/7/1728/51/a5006ca582eaf1/www.apple.com/powerbook/pdf/PowerBookG412_DS_012003.pdf"; target="_blank">12" Specs</a>

Burke? Yuck
  • Reply 75 of 153
    There was also a demo model at the CompUSA here today.... they seem to be everywhere now. They still blow me away. I just can't get myself to type in the credit card number........ dddahhh!
  • Reply 76 of 153
    Thanks, could your quack be a system sound? Try muting the speakers. I have a 12" here for a few days and haven't noticed a mouse noise.

ber
  • Reply 77 of 153
    It is not a system sound, and I did mute the speakers. But, I still heard it -- mostly when there was a CD or DVD in the drive. I'm not sure it is a real issue yet, because I'm not able to figure out how to reproduce it. It's intermittent, but not obtrusive.
  • Reply 78 of 153
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, shit. Now compusa has them and I've got a PPC itching to get replaced under their replacement warranty. I wonder if they'll let me get a credit instead of replacing it, then I could buy the minibook. What to do, what to do...

Anyone know if they give credits rather than merchandise for the TAP's?
  • Reply 79 of 153
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    inside the minibook:

<a href="http://deafchurch.net/hdswap/"; target="_blank">http://deafchurch.net/hdswap/</a>;
  • Reply 80 of 153
    paispais Posts: 34member
    You bought a SuperDrive model in person at an Apple Store? Didn't know they even had those in stock!