Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to ship April 29

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Is that list just laptop cards or does it mean my Radeon 9000 Pro is out too?

I don't remember the Radeon 9000 (Pro) being in the initial list. Only hope in systems with older cards is the Altivec unit of the G4.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by lawrenceg

Spotted video conference requirements part way down spec page, looks like none of Apples Laptops, emac, mini will be able to initiate a multiway video conference in Tiger!!!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

As follows:

Video conferencing with iChat requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4 or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access. Initiating_a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and_384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.

Erm I think many of Apple's laptops, definitely the mac mini, have over 1GHz G4 processor...

Well just ordered my copy for £58.75 on NUS education pricing. What kind of stuff goes on at the Apple Stores?
  • Reply 23 of 96
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

As follows:

Video conferencing with iChat requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4 or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access. Initiating_a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and_384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.

wow, so my dual-1.25 GHz G4 is JUST within the iChat minimum requirements for a multi-way video chat. i guess i'm not surprised, but there goes anyone wanting to video chat with two other family members on lower-end hardware.

still keeping my ear to the ground for a dual 2 GHz G4 upgrade, and a 4x AGP card that's core image compatible (might not even be possible, though).
  • Reply 24 of 96
    But is requires a dual 1GHz processor or faster to initiate! That means no laptop users can initiate a conference call to more than one person.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:

But is requires a dual 1GHz processor or faster to initiate! That means no laptop users can initiate a conference call to more than one person.

My bad, I read that tidbit about 5 times, and managed to miss initializing everytime...
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Does anyone know if it's gonna use serial numbers on this version, or is that still server only. Not a big deal for me really- gonna get the family pack and curious if they do use a serial number scheme, if it will supply a 'blanket number' or five separate ones.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If there is no typo in this list, then even the Radeon Mobility 9600 Powerbook will be unable to run Core Image/Video on GPU. If I remember well, the 9600 was initially included. Anyone knows what is going on here?

Don't know whats going on, but the mobility 9600 was on the initial list. I was excited that my PB just scaped by and made the min. requirements.

I guess they realized that the 9600 couldn't handle it or something.

Time for a new machine perhaps.... no wait, i guess i should pay tuition first....
  • Reply 28 of 96
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

Does anyone know if it's gonna use serial numbers on this version, or is that still server only. Not a big deal for me really- gonna get the family pack and curious if they do use a serial number scheme, if it will supply a 'blanket number' or five separate ones.

If it is no big deal for you, why do you mention anyway?
  • Reply 29 of 96
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    In some cases, the CPU would supposedly be faster than the GPU in the same model. The 9600 might have technically been able, but maybe its performance was actually worse than having the CPU pick up the task.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

OK, ONE LAST TIME:

... Any Mac with a G4 or higher will support CoreImage! Don't make me repeat it 100 times!

Er... what about my good ol' G3?

Teach me don't hit me, please.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

If it is no big deal for you, why do you mention anyway?

Because I am curious...and if you don't know- don't answer
  • Reply 32 of 96
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    G3? You're probably out of luck. The scenarios are from best to worst:

1. some CI/CV effects and plug-ins work OK, but others are dropped due to their poor performanceon a G3,

2. all effects and plug-ins work but vary between irksome to drunk-donkey slow since the G4 uses Altivec to optimize CI and CV,

3. Some CI/CV effects work really, really slowly and others not at all, or

4. CI/CV stuff is flat out turned off if it doesn't at least see a G4.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Mac OS X version 10.4 ?Tiger? will be available on April 29 beginning at 6:00 p.m. at Apple?s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $129 (US) for a single user license. The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after April 12 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Tiger requires a minimum of 256MB of memory and is designed to run on any Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire.

First, I thought it was going to be released on the 15th!

Second, is the up-to-date program cheaper then before? I thought it was always 19.95.

Third, aren't the specs for Tiger the same as panther (10.3)? There was lots of concern that the specs for 10.4 would be different, but they seem the same to me (or was 10.3 any computer with built-in USB?)

And, damn, does anyone know for sure what the build number is. I'm wetting my pants waiting to find out this critical piece of information. Is it really the same as the "GM" build mentioned weeks ago? Are we going to have to wait until end of the month to find out? Arrrgh! (Sorry, couldn't hold it in anymore, gotta go find another pair of pants).
  • Reply 34 of 96
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The love in this thread is very strong...
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Anyone have any info on the serial number thing? No, I am not asking for any if they do, mine will be in the box- just want to find out what I am in store for...2 laptops, one iMac and one G5....anyone?
  • Reply 36 of 96
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Anyone have any info on the serial number thing? No, I am not asking for any if they do, mine will be in the box- just want to find out what I am in store for...2 laptops, one iMac and one G5....anyone?

*a tumbleweed rolls by*
  • Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:

You know, for $149 (Amazon, after rebate), you can get the family pack and not worry about it...
  • Reply 38 of 96
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Would also be interesting to me - I wonder if they´ll use something like this again, since their marketshare grew, and now, I think it would matter. I also wonder if there will be a version available on various P2P Networks after the lawsuit regarding the Beta-Version...
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Would also be interesting to me - I wonder if they´ll use something like this again, since their marketshare grew, and now, I think it would matter. I also wonder if there will be a version available on various P2P Networks after the lawsuit regarding the Beta-Version...

Yeah, because we know all those P2P lawsuits for music and software have basically stopped all usage of them!

Apple sued because (a) they knew who to sue, and (b) someone broke an NDA, which they don't like a lot more than just giving away the software. I'm sure you'll find it out there somewhere (you probably could find it now).
  • Reply 40 of 96
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I see on apples site that tiger requiers firewire: what for? surely there are a few non-fw PMs that could use tiger...