Items missing in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

...Is there some problem that needs to be resolved before Apple turns it on by default?

I'm turned on by the idea.
  • Reply 42 of 171
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    After scanning through the Tiger's iSync page, I had to find out that support for recent phones - such as the Nokia 9300 and 9500 communicators - are still not supported. Sad!
  • Reply 43 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I would like the actual folders to change color as opposed to the label, when can I get that?

Beyond that, I think everything is hunky dory.

try haxies http://www.unsanity.com/products/ although there are problems with stability.
  • Reply 44 of 171
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.
  • Reply 45 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.

I can understand why some people want them, but rollbacks are a very difficult thing to handle with any safety. I have yet to see a system that doesn't break more often than it helps. And yes I have used several of the package systems available on linux... they are not capable of what would be required here.
  • Reply 46 of 171
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Do you really want to rollback once you've installed something or sent a new email? Probably not.

I'd rather not risk data loss with sketchy features that non-Apple apps (and maybe Apple apps too) won't be 100% compatible with. Hell... think back to the File Vault problems when that feature was launched.

Just be glad you don't have a registry.
  • Reply 47 of 171
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't know if this counts as a "missing feature" but I am disappointed that portable home directories will only be available in the server version. I would really like this feature, but I don't think I want to spend an extra $400 to get it. I hope that some third party will be able to use spotlight to speed up file synchronization.
  • Reply 48 of 171
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

After scanning through the Tiger's iSync page, I had to find out that support for recent phones - such as the Nokia 9300 and 9500 communicators - are still not supported. Sad!

We can hope for the future, but I'm very happy that my 6620 syncs like a dream with 8a425.
  • Reply 49 of 171
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If I Remember Correctly?

Anyway, back on topic. It seems that the information concerning Quartz 2D Extreme is a little confusing. JLL says it is turned off by default. lundy says it works on his machine and gives a very noticeable boost in 2D operations. Just in my mind it does not make sense to disable by default such a feature. On the other hand, this explains why Apple is mum on the subject. Is there some problem that needs to be resolved before Apple turns it on by default?

Perhaps it's the machine - it seems that it's at least turned off on machines that just meet the requirements, but Apple did state last year that there were bugs, and perhaps they haven't been able to squash them all yet.
  • Reply 50 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I don't know if this counts as a "missing feature" but I am disappointed that portable home directories will only be available in the server version.

You would need a server to store the home folder on anyway. Remote home folders and other features requiring a server is naturally included in the server version
  • Reply 51 of 171
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

You would need a server to store the home folder on anyway. Remote home folders and other features requiring a server is naturally included in the server version

It's not that farfetched to want syncing for laptop and desktop at home, is it?
  • Reply 52 of 171
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hey guys...

Portable home directories. I understand it syncs with a server if you're using macs, but does it also sync with a server when you use your OS X server as PDC and you host home directories for win users?

Do i have to have tiger on both ends for that to work (on a mac of course) or can i have OS 10.4 server and 10.3 client?
  • Reply 53 of 171
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I don't know if it's resolution independence or what, but from a grpahic designers point of view I'd like a 100% view to be 100%. So if you select 100% and hold a sheet of paper next to the monitor they are the same size.

Makes a big difference if you can make a judgement call about pt size or line width on the screen rather than having to send it to the printer?
  • Reply 54 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I don't know if it's resolution independence or what, but from a grpahic designers point of view I'd like a 100% view to be 100%. So if you select 100% and hold a sheet of paper next to the monitor they are the same size.

Makes a big difference if you can make a judgement call about pt size or line width on the screen rather than having to send it to the printer?

And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is? That information is not given to it, only the resolutions are. Additionally, on analog units there can be up to a 1/2 inch (across the whole screen) of fudge factor due to settings not accessible to the computer.

Short version: not really possible at this point.
  • Reply 55 of 171
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is?

This looks so blindingly obvious that I probably misunderstand the issue somehow, but I think it would be perfectly possible to calibrate the computer's space perception using a normal ruler. The calibration would take as long as it takes to measure one vertical and one horizontal thingy displayed on the screen, and type in the measurements.
  • Reply 56 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

This looks so blindingly obvious that I probably misunderstand the issue somehow, but I think it would be perfectly possible to calibrate the computer's space perception using a normal ruler. The calibration would take as long as it takes to measure one vertical and one horizontal thingy displayed on the screen, and type in the measurements.

No, people want this to be automagic. They can already do that by simply setting their default zoom in the applications we are talking about with a little tweaking and patience.
  • Reply 57 of 171
    w00tw00t Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Java 1.5/JSE 5

True, Tigers is

java version "1.4.2_07"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_07-215)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-50, mixed mode)
  • Reply 58 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

It's not that farfetched to want syncing for laptop and desktop at home, is it?

But that's not really what Portable Home Directories is.
  • Reply 59 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

That's resolution independence. In Tiger you don't decide the resolution from the monitor's size, but that could probably be the case when resolution independence is made available to end users.

Quote:

Karl Kuehn

And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is? That information is not given to it, only the resolutions are.

Most monitors return a product ID to the computer, so yes, it could be possible, but I don't think it would be too difficult for a user to answer a question about what monitor size he is using.
  • Reply 60 of 171
    I'm pretty sure we'll get openGL 2 and java 1.5 in future updates.