Items missing in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

There is a need nowadays for an option to "kill your hard drive" before selling it to someone, etc. Like in iTunes where you can deauthorize your computer to reset it, there should be an option that will nuke (Secure Delete) of EVERYTHING in your home directory and whatever else necessary before handing over a computer to another person

definitely, i nearly forgot to do the iTunes thing when i reformatted my girlfriend's Dell.
  • Reply 82 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

there should be an option that will nuke (Secure Delete) of EVERYTHING in your home directory and whatever else necessary before handing over a computer to another person

That's already in Panther.

Boot with the Install disk, run the disk utility and you can format the hard disk, writting random bit patterns to it.
  • Reply 83 of 171
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

There is a need nowadays for an option to "kill your hard drive" before selling it to someone, etc. Like in iTunes where you can deauthorize your computer to reset it, there should be an option that will nuke (Secure Delete) of EVERYTHING in your home directory and whatever else necessary before handing over a computer to another person

I think a deep format has always been an option though... Format the drive with either the "write zeroes" or "random character" option turned on. You will have to re-install the OS afterwards, but at least you will be selling the computer the way you bought it...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 84 of 171
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    thing is, Im talking about joe-user. Joe user can understand something like the iTunes option, the same should be available to the system and such.
  • Reply 85 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

thing is, Im talking about joe-user. Joe user can understand something like the iTunes option, the same should be available to the system and such.

Oh i thought you meant an option that would automatically disable all music as well as erasing.
  • Reply 86 of 171
    gnupg / pretty good privacy

system wide and especially in mail
  • Reply 87 of 171
    Finder

...at least there is no mention of a new Finder.
  • Reply 88 of 171
    lupinlupin Posts: 1member
    I use IP over Firewire every day for hours on end to access a windows laptop via RDC without any problems. It's fast and stable and significantly faster than regular 100mbit.
  • Reply 89 of 171
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SAVE AND SHUTDOWN. WHAT THE HELL APPLE. It would make a HUGE difference for any user on a laptop...which is a good portion of Mac users.
  • Reply 90 of 171
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    As opposed to sleep?
  • Reply 91 of 171
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

definitely, i nearly forgot to do the iTunes thing when i reformatted my girlfriend's Dell.

I forgot to de-authorize my work computer before I left, but all was OK. After a quick trip to Apple support they simply de-authorized all of the computers on my account. Just meant I had to authorize each one again, which wasn't that big a deal. I was just glad I didn't have that machine locked onto my account.
  • Reply 92 of 171
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    It seems as though Columns view is being removed, That makes me sad,

I would like full FTP connection (secure FTP) not the weak ftp access there is now.
  • Reply 93 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

It seems as though Columns view is being removed, That makes me sad,

I would like full FTP connection (secure FTP) not the weak ftp access there is now.

Column view - where do you get that from? It's been there since Jaguar and is most people's favourite view.
  • Reply 94 of 171
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Column view - where do you get that from? It's been there since Jaguar and is most people's favourite view.

Unless its preview crashes the Finder.
  • Reply 95 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Unless its preview crashes the Finder.

that's never happened to me! I always use the column view and it's so much better than anything else, I'm surprised Windows hasn't copied it already. It makes looking through folders faster, easier and less frustrating. Also the previews for music and movies are ingenious.

Column view obviously doesn't work with Spotlight, hence the Spotlight view but it works with everything else.
  • Reply 96 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

There is now in Tiger. When you boot off the DVD and go into Disk Utility you now have a couple of options.

1. Erase Free Space (New to Tiger, not really relavent but just saying)

2. Go to Erase -> Security Options (then you have a list)

A.) Zero out HD (0's to every block)

B.) Random data write

C.) Zero out the HD 7 Passes (securely erases all data, I am doing it now and it takes about 3 hours on a 160GB HD)

D.) Zero out the HD 35 Passes (obviously only FBI could get info off the HD and even then it would be quetsionable)

So as you can tell Tiger has the ability to just about make any HD impossible to read.
  • Reply 97 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

There is now in Tiger. When you boot off the DVD and go into Disk Utility you now have a couple of options.

1. Erase Free Space (New to Tiger, not really relavent but just saying)

2. Go to Erase -> Security Options (then you have a list)

A.) Zero out HD (0's to every block)

B.) Random data write

C.) Zero out the HD 7 Passes (securely erases all data, I am doing it now and it takes about 3 hours on a 160GB HD)

D.) Zero out the HD 35 Passes (obviously only FBI could get info off the HD and even then it would be quetsionable)

So as you can tell Tiger has the ability to just about make any HD impossible to read.

Cool, I bet 35 passes takes an age! How many over-writes would you need to make it FBI proof!?
  • Reply 98 of 171
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

D.) Zero out the HD 35 Passes, [SNIP] so as you can tell Tiger has the ability to just about make any HD impossible to read.

I was under the impression that it's far easier and quicker to kill a hard drive by throwing it out of the window. Can you imagine how long 35-pass low-level format of a 160GB drive will take?
  • Reply 99 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

I was under the impression that it's far easier and quicker to kill a hard drive by throwing it out of the window. Can you imagine how long 35-pass low-level format of a 160GB drive will take?

I think this is so you can the hard drive on to someone else to use without worry of them getting hold of your data. Also if you want to crate a fresh install may want to recover things later you wont want other data getting in the way.

Does zeroing all sectors make the hard drive unrecoverable or is 35 better? Surely the best would be 35 and then zero?
  • Reply 100 of 171
    Quote:

I think this is so you can the hard drive on to someone else to use without worry of them getting hold of your data. Also if you want to crate a fresh install may want to recover things later you wont want other data getting in the way.

Does zeroing all sectors make the hard drive unrecoverable or is 35 better? Surely the best would be 35 and then zero?

The 35 pass write is writing 0's to every block 35 times over. I am now approaching the 3 hour mark and I am on pass 3 of 7. It still says "Estimated time: 3 hours." When I tried the 35 pass it was like "Esitmated time: 12 hours." So I canceled that operation and decided to chose 7 and like I said it's been 3 hours and I've still got 4 more to go.