Items missing in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you want to be "fbi proof" forget doing these multi pass wipes, if it is that important, disassemble the HDD, and go over the surface of each platter with the rare earth magnet, then grind the platters to the dust from whence they came....

You can pretty much move the metal arround enough with 8 re writes, but if you have something to hide, get a new drive

geeze

So the FBI can recover anything! I don't have anything to hide but that's quite impressive data recovery. So i know who to call when I lose my photographs!
  • Reply 122 of 171
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

So the FBI can recover anything! I don't have anything to hide but that's quite impressive data recovery. So i know who to call when I lose my photographs!

not anything per se, they understand the bit patterns and have people that look at the platters with high power microscopes that can reconstruct the data - but it is a known fact that they have a lot more trouble with mac than windows - but the canadian mounties have the apple experts...

Mind you, after 8 wipes, they would have one hell of a time getting at data, so yea it is safe for most people, but it makes me laugh when people say things like "how can I make it do that the fbi cant read my stuff?" when these same people feel perfecly safe with 128bit encrypted banking - as anything over 128 is illegal in the usa - all of this because the feds can now break 128 in about 10 miniuts.
  • Reply 123 of 171
    Quote:

not anything per se, they understand the bit patterns and have people that look at the platters with high power microscopes that can reconstruct the data - but it is a known fact that they have a lot more trouble with mac than windows - but the canadian mounties have the apple experts...

so smashing the hard drive is the only safe option if you do have something to hide. Well I'm ok the FBI don't have a right to search my computer.
  • Reply 124 of 171
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    atomicchan: that's an interesting idea... you're right in that a three-column view (type, items, preview) would do basically the same as what Spotlight view does now, but I also agree with MacCrazy that it might be confusing for users.

Also, the advantage I see of the Spotlight view is that when requesting a search, and you're not sure what it's going to come up with, you want to be able to see a broad-spectrum view to see at-a-glance what it came up with, then you can narrow down. Remember, this is a view that needs to be focused primarily on content, not on type. The type info is just to help organize it. Note that you can also go by straight list or icon.

Column view is great when your primary focus is narrowing your view to one specific hierarchy path, but you want to see the breadth of possible paths.

Spotlight view is oriented towards a global view on pre-selected items, and the type listings with disclosure triangles are to then reduce the view until you can home in on what you want. Column view would require a user to click on each type in turn to see what had been returned before they could even make a decision on how to proceed.
  • Reply 125 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

so smashing the hard drive is the only safe option if you do have something to hide. Well I'm ok the FBI don't have a right to search my computer.

read the second part of the post that I just added above

Quote:

Mind you, after 8 wipes, they would have one hell of a time getting at data, so yea it is safe for most people, but it makes me laugh when people say things like "how can I make it so that the fbi cant read my stuff?" when these same people feel perfecly safe with 128bit encrypted banking - as anything over 128 is illegal in the usa - all of this because the feds can now break 128 in about 10 miniuts.

• Reply 126 of 171
    Quote:

read the second part of the post that I just added above

Cool, I was just trying to work out how a criminal could protect themselves. I might keep on the straight and narrow!
  • Reply 127 of 171
    The neat thing about criminals is that since they are criminals, they can go ahead and use real encryption! Speaking of which, I wonder if I can remember the passphrase to my 4 Mb encryption key. It took forever to do anything with it!

I look forward to the new views presented by Tiger. Since 10.0, I've used column view exclusively. I generally have two windows open, one on the top half of my screen, and one on the bottom, each the full width of the screen. With column view, I can then see much of the hierarchy, a preview and have my sidebar. This set up lets me copy to and from places pretty easily.

But there are bugs with Panther's column view still. I hope these gets fixed in Tiger. Sometimes the scroll bar doesn't show when there is scrollable content, and they haven't fixed the issues or media previews causing weird selection behavior and mislocated previews and after images.

What I see as improvement in Tiger is the ability to do on the fly Éxposé of graphics files as per http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/spotlight.html. I am hoping that we'll be able to do this on any folder at some point, or even with any type of file! That will blow me away!

Edit: Fixed link. -Kickaha
  • Reply 128 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

What I see as improvement in Tiger is the ability to do on the fly Éxposé of graphics files as per http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/spotlight.html. I am hoping that we'll be able to do this on any folder at some point, or even with any type of file! That will blow me away!

what do you mean? That link doesn't work.
  • Reply 129 of 171
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    (nevermind)

On the fly Expose -- you mean the slideshow feature, yes? Pretty nice.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    Hey, I have always wondered about encryption. If one was trying to crack the encryption, how would one know if they did or not, unless they know what it is they're looking for? Like suppose you were looking at a hard drive, and there was an image file, if you happened to be missing the one small part at the beginning that says "this is an image", then all the numbers and binary would just look like garbage to you. Same thing with pretty much any file type, except plain text.

*Or what if you don't know how it was encrypted, do you just hope to get lucky?

It seems like if you were trying to anyalize a corrupted harddrive with a microscope it would be very lucky to find those small headers that say what the rest of the info is supposed to be interperated.
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

(nevermind)

On the fly Expose -- you mean the slideshow feature, yes? Pretty nice.

Yeah that is cool.
  • Reply 132 of 171
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Mind you, after 8 wipes, they would have one hell of a time getting at data, so yea it is safe for most people, but it makes me laugh when people say things like "how can I make it do that the fbi cant read my stuff?" when these same people feel perfecly safe with 128bit encrypted banking - as anything over 128 is illegal in the usa - all of this because the feds can now break 128 in about 10 miniuts.

So, is File Vault a waste of time with a good password?

Canadian Mounties ... Apple Experts? No kidding? How did that happen I wonder?
  • Reply 133 of 171
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

You can perform a slideshow on any images you select in the Finder. You can read about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/finder/
  • Reply 134 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

You can perform a slideshow on any images you select in the Finder. You can read about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/finder/

I had noticed that. Windows users have had that feature for a while.
  • Reply 135 of 171
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

That isn't a spotlight search result window though. Spotlight search result windows are in the new platinum metal theme.

Only if activated through the Spotlight menu. Cmd-F gives you the window shown above.
  • Reply 136 of 171
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

As opposed to sleep?

Kickaha, it is like Hibernate on Windows. It was present in certain builds of OS 9 I believe. It saves the RAM contents to the hard drive and the completely shuts down the computer. Sleep in OS X uses a lot of battery. Far more than 9. And even in 9, it still uses battery.

Save and Shut Down is one of the features I'm most looking forward to having added in OS X.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    1. The ability to choose between brushed metal and aqua.

2. Sounds with an option between the set in OS9 and a new OSX set

3. A link to the applications folder in the Apple menu and/or dock.
  • Reply 138 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

3. A link to the applications folder in the Apple menu and/or dock.

You can drag the applications folder to the right of the dock and have that as a link. I have it there, holding it down brings up a menu of what's inside which is handy.
  • Reply 139 of 171
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

You can drag the applications folder to the right of the dock and have that as a link. I have it there, holding it down brings up a menu of what's inside which is handy.

Me too. I have tried DragThing and TigerLaunch for launchers and this no-extra-apps solution is actually working a lot better.

I'm still gonna check out Quicksilver, though that is supposed to be much more powerful than a launcher.
  • Reply 140 of 171
    Quote:

The neat thing about criminals is that since they are criminals, they can go ahead and use real encryption! Speaking of which, I wonder if I can remember the passphrase to my 4 Mb encryption key. It took forever to do anything with it!

Yes, but If the FBI can break 128 bit, certinly organized crime groups (particularly rogue dictatorships and terrorist groups) could break into comunicas of those of us who stay legal...I just think that these stupid rules, as much as they help, also hurt, you have to admit, if all confedential comunicas were transmitted with say 512 or higher bit encryption, then they couldnt break into our system without one MASSIVE supercomputer, one that likely couldnt be built without American company involvment - IBM, SYSCO, and maybe even Apple...who would most likly report to the feds if...lets say just for the sake of example N. korea ordered a large scale supercomputer.

but enough with my crazy tin-foil-hat theories...What is missing in tiger? 2048-bit pgp in mail.app out of the box!