Items missing in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    voloxvolox Posts: 11member
    Concerning resolution independence.

If you try out the "Zoom" feature in Universal Access, it's a hell of a lot clearer and smoother for me on a IGHz PB. On Panther, it was a bit clunky and when you really zoomed in, you just got a magnification of the normal pixels with some anti-aliasing. With Tiger, it is something far better. Not pure vector drawn independence, but very pleasant to use.

Try it out and maybe someone in the know can tell us about the relation of this effect to pure res-independence.
  • Reply 62 of 171
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

No, people want this to be automagic. They can already do that by simply setting their default zoom in the applications we are talking about with a little tweaking and patience.

I'm talking about a system-wide calibrate once, use in each and every software that prints and supports the "real size" feature. No tweaking required, no patience required, just a braindead simple calibration. "You see a line. Measure line with ruler. Type measurement in this box".

People go through an equivalently complicated procedure when they want to use an analog joystick, yet no one is whining about the need for better joysticks.
  • Reply 63 of 171
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Come to think of it looking at Bonjours documents I don't see any "proof" that Bonjour now works across subnets. If it doesn't then that's still a huge limitation of Bonjour.
  • Reply 64 of 171
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Core Data, Quartz 2D Extreme, although one could argue that those are included in Spotlight and Quartz Extreme respectively. But seeing the details Apple included as features, I was surprised to see the above two missing.

Core Data is in Tiger. Look here --> http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coredata.html
  • Reply 65 of 171
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.

I offered to build something that did this last year and received a very negative response. In theory this would be simple since you just need to read the .pkg list and back up those files before running the upgrade .pkg. If anything went wrong, just copy the backed-up files to their original locations and remove the update receipt.

You could also do this manually by using Pacifist to read the update .pkg list then dumping this list to a file and creating a short shell script to backup the soon to be upgraded files. Just copy the original files into a backup directory.
  • Reply 66 of 171
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

But that's not really what Portable Home Directories is.

What is it then?
  • Reply 67 of 171
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

We can hope for the future, but I'm very happy that my 6620 syncs like a dream with 8a425.

I am hoping for two years now that either Apple or the phone manufacturers improve the situation and actually add iSync support as soon as the phones are released like they are on the Windows side.

On another note: I had to configure a Windows (CE) based navigation system... had to use my old Win rig again.

Why do even companies that sell premium products to early adopters and even use macs in the advertising not provide a Mac version?!?
  • Reply 68 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I am hoping for two years now that either Apple or the phone manufacturers improve the situation and actually add iSync support as soon as the phones are released like they are on the Windows side.

On another note: I had to configure a Windows (CE) based navigation system... had to use my old Win rig again.

Why do even companies that sell premium products to early adopters and even use macs in the advertising not provide a Mac version?!?

i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud. Sony Ericsson always have quick support - so go for them.
  • Reply 69 of 171
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud.

This is exactly what is frustating me: I'd love to use iSync, but if your phone is not supported yet chances are good it won't be supported at all (the Siemens S65 is almost a year old - no support yet - the same with the Nokia communicators). What is taking them so long?

Other peripherals like PDAs require third party apps (namely Mark/Space) - and most of the times those are not available at all. Apple needs to get improve this situation rapidly, time to form some more cooperations. I see them becoming a closed eco-system again with the iPod being one of the rare manufacturer supported devices.
  • Reply 70 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

What is it then?

Portable Directories is like what you would use in a lab environment, for example on a school campus, you want to be able to log onto any of the computers and have your home directory be the same. The home directory is actually not stored on any of those computers, but on a server computer.

In your case, I think what you actually want is have the data stored on both computers, so that you can disconnect your laptop and still have the data.

I would suggest just setting up a shared folder on your desktop, and add the icon for in to your Finder sidebar. Then you can just copy files between the computers at will. There might even be some software that can check everytime you connect them, if files have changed and copy them over. I don't know any off the top of my head.
  • Reply 71 of 171
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud. Sony Ericsson always have quick support - so go for them.

So, just because iSync is 'better' than any Windows software [it isn't], he should feel PROUD?

Did he write iSync or smth?
  • Reply 72 of 171
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    WhiteRabbit, PHDs are precisely the second thing you described.

Centralized home directories on the server have been in MacOS X for, well, a few years.

PHDs let you have a laptop that syncs with a central server, then take that laptop off the network, go elsewhere, work, come back, hook in, and have it all sync back up again such that you can then immediately log onto any other machine on the network and have the same files.

Hence, 'Portable'.

It's new in 10.4.
  • Reply 73 of 171
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

PHDs let you have a laptop that syncs with a central server, then take that laptop off the network, go elsewhere, work, come back, hook in, and have it all sync back up again such that you can then immediately log onto any other machine on the network and have the same files.

Hence, 'Portable'.

It's new in 10.4.

If you log on to a new computer you will have to wait until it's all copied over to the new machine.

Portable Home Directories is a feature of Mobile Home Directories which means that the homedir physically is placed on the computer. The server only acts like a kind of backup, but you could use the feature to sync two computers.

Mobile Home Directories appeared in 10.3, and that allows you to manage user accounts from the server - names, passwords, basic settings.

The main point of Portable Home Directories IMO is that with Tiger it is now possible to have data from mobile users placed on your servers so it's possible to take backups.

Since it hasn't been available in the last couple of seeds I haven't been able to test it thoroughly to see what a mess it will make if you're using two (or more) computers with one account using Portable Home Directories.

Remote Home Directories are all on the server, and the second you log in you have access to your data, but you can't take it with you.
  • Reply 74 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

Portable Directories is like what you would use in a lab environment, for example on a school campus, you want to be able to log onto any of the computers and have your home directory be the same. The home directory is actually not stored on any of those computers, but on a server computer.

That's Remote Home Directories which as Kickaha said has been there since day one.
  • Reply 75 of 171
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Remote Home Directories are all on the server, and the second you log in you have access to your data, but you can't take it with you.

So there's no mixing of Remote and Portable Home Directories? Darn. I was hoping that it could be set up along the lines of "Okay, *THIS* laptop is my Portable workstation. Sync it with my account. I log in anywhere else on the system, just treat me like a normal Remote account user."

That would have made it a no-brainer for the family business network. Each person has their own laptop right now, and there's a server, but sometimes they need to borrow one of the G5s for a big job. Keeping all the files in sync and share correctly is a nightmare for them. If there was a central server with Remote accounts that could also be set up to specific laptops as PHD accounts, Apple would have the easiest office-wide upgrade sale they've ever seen.
  • Reply 76 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So there's no mixing of Remote and Portable Home Directories? Darn. I was hoping that it could be set up along the lines of "Okay, *THIS* laptop is my Portable workstation. Sync it with my account. I log in anywhere else on the system, just treat me like a normal Remote account user."

As it is (or were in the seeds were it was actually available) it's tied to Mobile Accounts.

It seems that Apple is still fighting with it, and even though the feature is mentioned on the site, I still have a feeling that it won't work perfectly in 10.4.0 - the feature was even promised for 10.0, but suddenly disappeared from the web site before 10.0 was released.
  • Reply 77 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

So, just because iSync is 'better' than any Windows software [it isn't], he should feel PROUD?

Did he write iSync or smth?

OK a stupid thing to say - I was probably rushing!

Proud of the Mac, proud of iSync just pissed off that it doesn't work with his phone. I've got used to buying phones that are only compatible with iSync - that would be my solution. I ordered a new phone the day Tiger was announced and considered the RAZR but then used it - not good and went for a Sony Ericsson. I'm sure Apple wants to work with every phone but the resistance could be the other end. Apple and Sony work well but the other companies (Motorola less recently - obviously) seem to lag.
  • Reply 78 of 171
    Quote:

I'm sure Apple wants to work with every phone but the resistance could be the other end. Apple and Sony work well but the other companies (Motorola less recently - obviously) seem to lag.

To add, I thought vCards and all the calendar things and such were industry standards, in which case it would be the phone breaking the standards. I don't know this for sure, but I am positive, at least with the vCards, that they are.
  • Reply 79 of 171
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    There is a need nowadays for an option to "kill your hard drive" before selling it to someone, etc. Like in iTunes where you can deauthorize your computer to reset it, there should be an option that will nuke (Secure Delete) of EVERYTHING in your home directory and whatever else necessary before handing over a computer to another person
  • Reply 80 of 171
    Quote:

That is not really the perfect answer.

Apple has a great product in his hand but he is doing anything with it.

The real point is that when you buy a new phone, you can do anything you between it and a PC, but not with a mac. It doesn't matter if iSync is a great product or not, the fact is that it's unusable.