any news on updated ibooks?...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    bastionbastion Posts: 16member
    Part of me says wait until wwdc, the other part says I'll just be disappointed.

I know the iBook needs an update urgently to bring it up to Tiger requirements. I also know that even the minimum update will at first glance take its specification beyond that of the 12" PowerBook. We all know what the cost difference between the two is, so that will simply not happen while the Powerbook waits for something new to justify it's premium, probably the G5, size and heat problems aside.

And when you consider Apple sells 3 or more iBooks for every PowerBook, you have to wonder if it's not getting its priorities a little mixed. Surely one of the first rules of business is to go where the market demands.

Okay, so the PowerBook has a few gimmicks that the new iBook might not inherit, but you have to ask yourself why. Why is Apple intent on artificially crippling it's junior notebook? It has to be allowed to compete for territory with similarly priced PC's.

I remember in the early 80's when Volkswagen used to offer rear foglamps as a £40 option. Every car they made had the foglamps, they just pulled out the wires for those who didn't pay for them, because it wasn't cost-effective to make two different sets of light clusters. They artificially crippled a whole slew of cars at a cost timewise to themselves.

The bottom line is, Apple only has one laptop in it at the moment. But whether that is a silver iBook or a white Powerbook is anyone's guess. Whichever way you look at it, without updates - good ones - and fast, any Apple laptop will be seen as overpriced, outdated and underpowered.

With PC laptops offering more and more and costing less and less, Apple has to be very careful to ensure it doesn't send itself into the niche corner of the already niche market it sits in.

I'm not in the market for a desktop, I'm in the market for a laptop. And when I see PC's with Pentium mobile's with 512MB RAM as standard, 80GB hard disks, 64 or 128MB of graphics that can support external monitor spanning without hacks, huge widescreen displays with X-black coating or equivalent, memory card slots, PC card slots, dual layer DVD burners and 4 to 5 hour battery life costing the same as, if not less than Apple's turkeys, plus I already have a wall full of software for it, I have to wonder if the incentive to switch is not rapidly diminishing.

In February I was a guaranteed sell. I'd made up my mind. An iBook was coming my way. But then the Tiger rumour went into overdrive so I waited. Then everybody in the know seemed to reckon there'd be an update to go along with it. Now there doesn't seem to be anything at all. And all the while Apple has been treading water with its laptops, the PC laptop market has become quite a desirable arena.

I know there are virus' and spyware and pop-ups, but any PC user with one third of a brain or more, is well aware there's a load of free software to sort it all out. And so it's not really a big deal. I was much more looking forward to the ability to sleep and all the nice touches like expose and filevault. But all that is coming at a cost, punitive financially and in terms of ability now too.

Now I'm no fan of Windows, but at least it's better than nothing. And that's just what Apple's got at the moment - nothing.

Come on Apple, pull you finger out, there are lots of would-be switchers like me who have been waiting too long now, sitting on the fence looking your way, while all the while the grass has been getting greener behind us. I was a guaranteed sell. I'm not anymore. You'll have to fight hard and work quickly if you want my bucks. Come the middle of June, I'm buying. The ball's in your court.

p.s. I haven't been dormant during this waiting period. I've read much, perhaps too much about Apple build quality of recent years. I don't want to go into a big debate about it here, suffice to say, everything I've read is available for you to read on one forum or another. I'll just mention them in list format:

1) Logic board failures. 2) Dead pixels. 3) Screen DOA's. 4) White patches. 5) Dark patches. 6) LCD stripes. 7) Ill fitting batteries. 8) Uneven keyboards. 9) Warped casing. 10) Faulty trackpads. 11) Latch problems. 12) Faulty RAM. 13) Reed switch problems.

Now I don't think this is limited to Mac's, I would expect similar problems from PC laptops and in no way do I suppose these problems would not be present on a PC. But that is just my point. These are things I would expect from a PC. I wouldn't expect them on an Apple. Yet they are there. And in seemingly large quantities too.

Now I don't want to sound like a salesman for PC laptops, because you must believe, I consider them to be second best, second choice, second, plain and simple. But, limited as all laptops will be, when it comes time to upgrade some internal components, most PC's seem to give better access to almost everything, just by removing 1 screw. Nothing has made me laugh so much in recent weeks as the procedure for getting to the iBook's hard drive, a process that if applied to your house as a security measure, would deter all but the most dedicated cat burglar. Is it intentionally this way - or did the designer lose a bet with Bill Gates?

I'm not looking to cause animosity here. It's difficult because you are all Apple people. I am what you all were before your first Apple purchase. It's just looking less and less like I'm going to have my first Apple purchase and that disappoints me somewhat. Ah well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.

Oh, and that funny smiley thing up there - I didn't put it there, I wrote 8 with a bracket after it and it changed all by itself!
  • Reply 82 of 135
    cnuco2007cnuco2007 Posts: 73member
    i just bought a 12" ibook g4 and i love it. it runs tiger fine. maybe i dont get a cool riple effect but i thought it was cool newayz. i have 512mb of ram and i have never felt ne lag in this OS. its great. it may not be the most powerful laptop but where most PC laptops have a 2 hour battery life. mine gives me a low battery warning at 2 hours haha. it actual lasts for over 5 hours. how many pc laptops can do that? even if the pc's have better prices, i bet they wont last as long or be as stable. fact is, these apple laptops are much better quality and i am more than willing to pay a little extra for that quality. I see no need to wait for a newer laptop cuz the current ones run tiger fine. im not too worried about the bells and whistles cuz this isnt my main computer. well it is right now cuz my main rig is down at the moment waiting on a new mobo. err. but yea, you wont be dissapointed if you just buy a laptop now. im sure not
  • Reply 83 of 135
    drewmgdrewmg Posts: 21member
    Well, I've decided to hold off until WWDC, but if they don't announce upgrades then, I'm going to be very very upset. I've been without a laptop now for about two weeks, and I get more and more tired of it every day. Oh well, this gives me a few more weeks to make the purchase a little easier on my pocketbook.
  • Reply 84 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

i just bought a 12" ibook g4 and i love it. it runs tiger fine. maybe i dont get a cool riple effect but i thought it was cool newayz. i have 512mb of ram and i have never felt ne lag in this OS. its great. it may not be the most powerful laptop but where most PC laptops have a 2 hour battery life. mine gives me a low battery warning at 2 hours haha. it actual lasts for over 5 hours. how many pc laptops can do that? even if the pc's have better prices, i bet they wont last as long or be as stable. fact is, these apple laptops are much better quality and i am more than willing to pay a little extra for that quality. I see no need to wait for a newer laptop cuz the current ones run tiger fine. im not too worried about the bells and whistles cuz this isnt my main computer. well it is right now cuz my main rig is down at the moment waiting on a new mobo. err. but yea, you wont be dissapointed if you just buy a laptop now. im sure not

nice to know ty, damn no ripple affect damn i loved that to. but i j/k i like it but my main concerns are Video editing (Parents want me to make them a movie from our trip) and playing Unreal 2004... Thats the only reason i don't call apple right now and order a ibook (Really tempted though) 32mb is Questionable... ESPECALLY with all the grahics with Mac OS Tiger... (Compared to Windows where my 32mb ran ok with more ram..

Quote:

Originally posted by DrewMG

Well, I've decided to hold off until WWDC, but if they don't announce upgrades then, I'm going to be very very upset. I've been without a laptop now for about two weeks, and I get more and more tired of it every day. Oh well, this gives me a few more weeks to make the purchase a little easier on my pocketbook.

yup same here if they don't update at latest June 17 (My bday) then i will have to decide if i want a ibooks with really low Video memory, or get Powerbook with more features and more Vram...
  • Reply 85 of 135
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Just for the record, this is the first time in two years, perhaps more, that the iBooks did not get their update in the regular 6 month interval (it should have happened in April). I don't know if this means something or not. But if I was in the market for an iBook, at this point I would certainly wait.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    The iBooks now have changed to 1-2 days shipping, whereas they had been same day every since the Tiger change over...

Never mind! Everything is 1-2 days now! (weird...)
  • Reply 87 of 135
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Just for the record, this is the first time in two years, perhaps more, that the iBooks did not get their update in the regular 6 month interval (it should have happened in April). I don't know if this means something or not. But if I was in the market for an iBook, at this point I would certainly wait.

Make that 4 years
  • Reply 88 of 135
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

The iBooks now have changed to 1-2 days shipping, whereas they had been same day every since the Tiger change over...

Never mind! Everything is 1-2 days now! (weird...)

All iBooks are shipping "...within 24 hours" at the UK Appple store.
  • Reply 89 of 135
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You heard it here first, folks:

G5 iBooks at WWDC!!!
  • Reply 90 of 135
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    g3pro let's hope you're right.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    just put my fathers IBM Thinkpad on ebay, it's going to be replaced with an 12" iBook or Powerbook.

Let's hope there is an update of the Apple Laptops before or at WWDC.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    jaycrjaycr Posts: 25member
    Before you read what i've typed below you should understand that I do not have any "inside info" on what's really going on at Apple. Being in the market for a new iBook i've simply read EVERYTHING I can find and have come to the following conclusions...

Unless iBook updates appear early this week (unlikely) I do not believe iBook updates will appear until the end of July or beginning of August. I believe that those updated machines will sport the following:

12-inch: 1.33GHz

$1,199.00 CDN

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz

12-inch TFT Displays

1024x768 resolution

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme built-in

Scrolling Trackpad

-------------------------

14-inch: 1.42GHz

$1,599.00 CDN

1.42GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1.42GHz

14-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme built-in

Scrolling Trackpad

-------------------------

14-inch: 1.42GHz

$1,849.00 CDN

1.42GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1.42GHz

14-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme built-in

Scrolling Trackpad

I also believe that a new iBook will be introduced featuring a design centered around a widescreen display at next Januarys MacWorld 2006. Updated PowerBooks featuring the same Widescreen displays for the 12" and 15" models could appear as early as WWDC next month or as late as this fall.

Also, I wouldn't expect to see G5's in Apple notebooks until at least 2006, probably 2007 for the iBook. In the meantime I expect more to be done with the G4's in the time being, such as dual processors for the PowerBooks.

Please let me know what you think of this assessment. Based on this (unless I wake up to something tomorrow morning) I expect i'll make my purchase tomorrow since I want to have my iBook no later than the end of May...
  • Reply 93 of 135
    thanks for info damn (No offense) hope your wrong about the 32mb Vram wtf Tiger can't run fully on 32mb of ram needs AT LEAST 64mb wtf are they thinking??!!

Here is currency converter from CAN to US

1,199.00 CAD

Canada Dollars = 946.479 USD

United States Dollars

1 CAD = 0.789390 USD 1 USD = 1.26680 CAD

1,599.00 CAD

Canada Dollars = 1,263.00 USD

United States Dollars

1 CAD = 0.789869 USD 1 USD = 1.26603 CAD

1,849.00 CAD

Canada Dollars = 1,459.85 USD

United States Dollars

1 CAD = 0.789536 USD 1 USD = 1.26657 CAD

damit Apple looks like i am getting a Powerbook then... Ok damn need a smoke if this is true!!
  • Reply 94 of 135
    Heh, I knew somebody would post a currency coversion sooner or later. Me and my damn Canadianism (is that a word?)

Like I said I have no inside info, but taking a look at what's happened in the past and what's being said now I just don't think they'll move past the 32MB VRAM barrier quite yet on the iBooks. Although do notice I figure they'll up the video card to something Core Image compatible at least. Gotta love those ripples...
  • Reply 95 of 135
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JayCr

Please let me know what you think of this assessment. Based on this (unless I wake up to something tomorrow morning) I expect i'll make my purchase tomorrow since I want to have my iBook no later than the end of May...

If there is no iBook upgrade early this week, I'd expect it the week of WWDC. If it is a minor upgrade, it probably won't be part of the keynote, rather just a quiet spec change shortly after. I don't believe Apple will go until July without upgrading at least the GPU (same for the Mac mini).
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

If there is no iBook upgrade early this week, I'd expect it the week of WWDC. If it is a minor upgrade, it probably won't be part of the keynote, rather just a quiet spec change shortly after. I don't believe Apple will go until July without upgrading at least the GPU (same for the Mac mini).

It won't happen anywhere near WWDC. I know that's kind of a bright Apple star right now but truth be known WWDC is about Pro, not Consumer. Apple won't want a minor iBook update gumming up the works during its biggest developer event.

The July/August timeframe basically puts it at a spot where it can still entice Back to School shoppers while at the same time preparing the line for a possible refresh at the beginning of next year. It would make more sense for the minor update to happen now, who knows what Apple is waiting for.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

It won't happen anywhere near WWDC. I know that's kind of a bright Apple star right now but truth be known WWDC is about Pro, not Consumer. Apple won't want a minor iBook update gumming up the works during its biggest developer event.

We shall see. I'm of the opinion that anything that's good for the platform is good for developers. I'm really not expecting a minor bump this spring, although it still might happen. Kinda expecting a new iBook design really soon, based only on the fact that the current design is four years old and the bump that was expected with Tiger is late.
  • Reply 98 of 135
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Heh, I knew somebody would post a currency coversion sooner or later. Me and my damn Canadianism (is that a word?)

Like I said I have no inside info, but taking a look at what's happened in the past and what's being said now I just don't think they'll move past the 32MB VRAM barrier quite yet on the iBooks. Although do notice I figure they'll up the video card to something Core Image compatible at least. Gotta love those ripples...

I actually prefer people posting in canadian currency - is closer to Australian dollars, hence can use it easier.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    drewmgdrewmg Posts: 21member
    Well, I got tired of waiting. Yesterday morning, I broke down and ordered a 12" iBook, complete with 512 RAM, and a 60 GB drive. I don't really care that I didn't wait. Maybe I would have gotten a new form factor, but I REALLY like the white case. And maybe I would have gotten a better GPU, but I'm not really going to use the iBook for gaming or video editing or anything like that. No one knows when they're gonna be updated. First everyone thought it'd be in April, and that didn't happen. Then everyone thought after the iMac was updated, but that didn't happen. Then everyone said WWDC, but now I'm reading that they NEVER update consumer products at WWDC, just professional and developer products. (note, nothing starting with "i"). So then everyone's saying maybe later this summer, in Paris or at MacWorld...

You know what? I want a laptop now, and I don't feel like waiting until July. I should have it next week. I'm giddy!
  • Reply 100 of 135
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Actually Apple was going to announce the iMac g5 at WWDC last year. While I was there I noticed an empty podium they never used. Besides the stage was a monitor looking item that had a sheet over it, and it never got uncovered. Instead jobs said they were going to stop production of iMacs completely... why did he do this? Probably because he knew yields would have been complete shit at that point.

Anyways, the biggest reason NOT to get an iBook right now is 1 thing... the GPU. Not for games or video editing, but because tiger screams with certain things with a better graphics card. You only hurt yourself by not waiting for a tiger compatible card.