Cool things found in Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I'm coming across allot of new programs and updates in Tiger that I haven't seen posted before. Lets discuss, I'll start. Check out the DVD player, it now supports real-time resizing of the window instead of the three preset sizes. You can also right click in the player window to get all the options found on the controller widget.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

In Dashboard select a widget and click Apple-R which resets widget and does a cool effect.

Oooh good one, that is cool!
  • Reply 2 of 114
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    In apps like Safari, Mail (and maybe others) hover over a word and press Control-Command-D

A little floating window should appear with the definition and a toggle to the thesaurus.

The longer/less integrated method would be to right-click a word and select "Look up in dictionary". Here you can also see the new "Search in Spotlight" feature. The google one existed before.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

In apps like Safari, Mail (and maybe others) hover over a word and press Control-Command-D

A little floating window should appear with the definition and a toggle to the thesaurus.

The longer/less integrated method would be to right-click a word and select "Look up in dictionary". Here you can also see the new "Search in Spotlight" feature. The google one existed before.

Very neat feature thanx. I love this, it's like Easter morning.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

In Dashboard select a widget and click Apple-R which resets widget and does a cool effect.

If they can do that on a 9200, and things like gene effect min/maximize then why no ripples, Did Apple handycap the feature on purpose or is it really that intencive that a 9200 could not do it when it can play Wolftenstien ET just fine?

If they knew the heart of the tiger graphics subsystem wouldnt work on a 9200, then why did they put that in a NEW unit that was relesed 4 months ago???
  • Reply 5 of 114
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If they can do that on a 9200, and things like gene effect min/maximize then why no ripples, Did Apple handycap the feature on purpose or is it really that intencive that a 9200 could not do it when it can play Wolftenstien ET just fine?

If they knew the heart of the tiger graphics subsystem wouldnt work on a 9200, then why did they put that in a NEW unit that was relesed 4 months ago???

The 9200 cannot do the ripples, doesn't have pixel shader 2.0 support (which the ripples uses). Get over it. And it's only eye-candy, it's not criticial.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    Quote:

Stay on target, stay on target. Besides new OS, new requirements, if it pisses you off that much update. 9200, must be an iBook, expect nothing but non-compliant.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    anyone else notice that system profiler is much much more robust now?

it gives you way more info on your system than it did before: audio, firewall, fiber channel, diagnostics, etc.

pretty damn handy if you ask me.
  • Reply 8 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by jedifunk

anyone else notice that system profiler is much much more robust now?

it gives you way more info on your system than it did before: audio, firewall, fiber channel, diagnostics, etc.

pretty damn handy if you ask me.

Agreed, very nice indeed, good eyes.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Stay on target, stay on target. Besides new OS, new requirements, if it pisses you off that much update. 9200, must be an iBook, expect nothing but non-compliant.

I have a Mini, but other than that one little thing, I love this, I had no false expectations of running hi-end apps on this or anythiong of the sort, I just find it odd that they "couldnt" make the ripples in the 9200 when it does all of the other fun gui effects fine.

I would have to say that I like that they included KB shortcuts to all the new stuff- F12 means no dashboard icon in the dock is nessasary, apple key(or windows key) + space gives an instant spotlight and Steves MWSF "nowhere" easteregg in the weather widget is great for showing off to jelious friends.

I don't know if it was documented, but I love the RSS screensaver, that is a great ides.

Oh and shift +f12 will exit dashboard in slo-mo
  • Reply 10 of 114
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

And if you continue pressing just the Control and Command keys, you can scrub over all the words on the page and it'll load definitions as you do so.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Steves MWSF "nowhere" easteregg in the weather widget is great for showing off to jelious friends.

? explain please
  • Reply 12 of 114
    Get Info in a POP server account in Mail and you can download just the headers in a window and remotely delete messages/SPAM.

BUG: Be aware that making selections to these messages can be dangerous. When you delete the messages, the old selection (contiguous or not) remains and is applied to the remaining files (which may well be ones you want to keep!).

So you might at first still see the selection and think they are the messages you just "tried" to delete and try clicking Remove From Server again in haste. (It does delete the ones you select, it just never deselects the list items...)

Anyway, the part that works is cool. Don't need Pop Monitor anymore really...but gosh it would be nice if this window also used Spotlight (duh) so you can search the messages...
  • Reply 13 of 114
    i cant seem to get the ctrl+cmnd+d definition thing to work? i'm on a PB 1.33, is it not possible for me? seems like it wouldnt be a big deal. do you have to turn that on somewhere?
  • Reply 14 of 114
    Unlimited Undo In Safari Text Fields!!!!!!!!!

Wahooooooo! <fires AK-47 into sky>

Really though, it was a sin to have had to put up with it's omission for so freaking long...
  • Reply 15 of 114
    Quote:

i cant seem to get the ctrl+cmnd+d definition thing to work? i'm on a PB 1.33, is it not possible for me? seems like it wouldnt be a big deal. do you have to turn that on somewhere?

You need to press them and hold them while over the word. Are you letting go too soon? And it only works on selectable text (I think).

Once it appears, you can let go of the "d" and mouse over other words to define them too.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

? explain please

Bring up the "weather" widget and do an apple/windows key+alt+click on the sun (or moon or clouds) and the city changes to "nowhere" and you can see all the weather conditions like rain, wind, sleet, hail and so on.

I do have one problem with my weather widget, every time I close it out and re-open it, restart, log out or anythinfg, it sets the default city to Indy, I am in Lafayette, it is VERY annoying - I think it has something to do with the fact that I had to select indy from the time zone list at setup because it is the closest major city.
  • Reply 17 of 114
    by selectable text do you mean links? or just any text that can be highlighted, copied, pasted?

either way, i still cant get it to work. i'm holding the keys down for over 30 seconds (which i would hope to god would be longer enough).
  • Reply 18 of 114
    still cant get the dictionary popup thing to work. wtf! anyone got any suggestions? thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Oh and shift +f12 will exit dashboard in slo-mo

Yes, that is very cool. It also works for opening dashboard or doing any of the expose commands.
  • Reply 20 of 114
    igiligil Posts: 23member
    Quote:

still cant get the dictionary popup thing to work. wtf! anyone got any suggestions? thanks.

Double check that the keyboard shortcut is defined in the Keyboard & mouse preferences.

As far as I can tell the dictionary lookup works whenever the mouse cursor changes to an i-beam cursor (the vertical text selection thingy). Don't select any text. Just hover over the word you want to lookup and press the keyboard shortcut. No need to keep the keys pressed down. Just press and release the keys and the dictionary entry will appear in less than a second.