ctrl+apple+d

ctrl+cmd+d

ctrl+command+d

...while over a word.

Not much to it.

You are running Tiger, I trust?
  • Reply 22 of 114
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    ok, finally got it (with some help from apple discussions board). i had moved the dictionary app into a new folder inside the main apps folder. apparently tiger couldnt find it inside that folder. moving it back to the main apps folder solved the problem.

thanks for the help btw.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I noticed that there is an option to use secure virtual memory. I'm assuming that this refers to the swap file...
  • Reply 24 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jedifunk

still cant get the dictionary popup thing to work. wtf! anyone got any suggestions? thanks.

Move your mouse over a word until the I-beam cursor appears.

With your left hand. Roll control->Command->D: Hold it and it should appear.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    All open/save dialog boxes appear to have resizable columns now. In Panther and earlier you had little control on the column width (the little column resize badges weren't there) in apps like those from AdobeCS.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

All open/save dialog boxes appear to have resizable columns now. In Panther and earlier you had little control on the column width (the little column resize badges weren't there) in apps like those from AdobeCS.

Consider that as a kindness on Apple's part by duplicating functionality in Cocoa AppKit to expose it for Carbon apps.

Perhaps Adobe CS3 will actually be written in ObjC++, atleast?
  • Reply 27 of 114
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    the same problems are coming up for me with the dictionary thing. I gave up already because its a function I doubt I would use regularly.

One problem that REALLY does affect me is the new use for apple/commd + spacebar. This brings up spotlight now. In panther it would switch my language settings from the little american flag to my japanese. Now everytime I want to switch languages on the go I need to click the little flag by the time and date(top right hand corner) and switch languages. This may sound small but since I am a language student I write one sentencce and switch languages three times or so just for one sentence.

Anyone know any short cuts? I know some people are able to set function keys to do these types of actions. How would I do that so I could just hit F11 or something every time?
  • Reply 28 of 114
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

Anyone know any short cuts? I know some people are able to set function keys to do these types of actions. How would I do that so I could just hit F11 or something every time?

You can modify your keyboard shortcuts at:

System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse-->Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Reply 29 of 114
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    a_greer, are you not able to see the widget twist (i assume that is the ripple)?

I must be missing something here because I am able to see the ripple just fine and I have an eMac w/ a Radeon 7500 32MB.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

a_greer, are you not able to see the widget twist (i assume that is the ripple)?

I must be missing something here because I am able to see the ripple just fine and I have an eMac w/ a Radeon 7500 32MB.

That's not the ripple, apple's quicktime movie will show it (while adding a widget):

http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/dashboard.html
  • Reply 31 of 114
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    My bad. Man, I wish I had that happen. The ripple is much cooler than the twisiting/spinning trick. Time to upgrade!
  • Reply 32 of 114
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jedifunk

i cant seem to get the ctrl+cmnd+d definition thing to work? i'm on a PB 1.33, is it not possible for me? seems like it wouldnt be a big deal. do you have to turn that on somewhere?

go into dictionary and preferences there is an option to open the application or pop-down menu.

Quote:

? explain please

press command-option on the weather icon and then it changes to nowhere, then keep that held down and you can cycle through the weather.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

My bad. Man, I wish I had that happen. The ripple is much cooler than the twisiting/spinning trick. Time to upgrade!

that ripple annoys me - I'm in dashboard adding something quickly and that bloody transition sets in!
  • Reply 34 of 114
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

that ripple annoys me - I'm in dashboard adding something quickly and that bloody transition sets in!

I'm with you to, I still wish Apple would allow us to tone down the effects or even better yet turn them off completely. I know half the fun of OSX is the GUI goodness but when I?m at work I want nothing to do with it. In fact when I'm programming in C or Java I usually kill Aqua and use a X11 desktop manager like Afterstep. Eclipse (my IDE) runs better in an X11 environment then Aqua, actually pretty much any Java app for that matter.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

You don't have to wait for it to finish ya know. You can actually overlap multiple widget ripples if you drag fast enough. Also, if you click the widget that's rippling it'll stop and jump to it's finished state.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The coolest thing so far is PDF support in Safaria. ABOUT FREEKN TIME!!! YEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW W!
  • Reply 37 of 114
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

one crowd is pissed because they can't see a ripple and the other crowd is pissed because it's there.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

one crowd is pissed because they can't see a ripple and the other crowd is pissed because it's there.

haha it's like all things that are only for the cool factor - completely useless! Do you need Quartz Extreme for the effect or more?
  • Reply 39 of 114
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Click on the ripple and it stops
  • Reply 40 of 114
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Is it just me, or did they switch how Get Info works when multiple items are selected in the Finder?

I think in Panther it brought up 1 unified window, now it brings up 1 window for each item unless you hold down the option key.