Cool things found in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

if you drag a widget it opens it in dashboard

I don't understand how this is related to either what Relic said or what I said.

I guess I shouldn't have suggested anything.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreeneGirl7

I'm not a guy.

I wasn't trying to insult you by either calling you a guy or by saying you had no idea what relic said - I was rushing with my response and therefore didn't find out your name (or your gender - but i use guy generically)).

Anyway what Relic wants is a konfabulator style keep on top of windows - keep on desktop or special layer options.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    Quote:

I wasn't trying to insult you by either calling you a guy or by saying you had no idea what relic said - I was rushing with my response and therefore didn't find out your name (or your gender - but i use guy generically)).

Anyway what Relic wants is a konfabulator style keep on top of windows - keep on desktop or special layer options.

I see.

I just thought maybe having it open automatically like that instead of having to press F12 while holding the file he wants to put in the Transmit widget would be helpful.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    Quote:

I see.

I just thought maybe having it open automatically like that instead of having to press F12 while holding the file he wants to put in the Transmit widget would be helpful.

yeah it's a good implementation that you can drag into the dashboard layer.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    resunaresuna Posts: 4member
    People who bought the Mac mini with the 9200 aren't upset that they can't get the Dashboard Ripple effect, they're upset that Apple must have known when they put the 9200 in the Mac mini that the 9200 didn't have the functionality they require for QE2d, the new GPU-based rendering engine (QE just does GPU compositing). So why didn't they at least use a 9600SE? The price difference between the 9200 and the 9600SE isn't that great... about $20. Apple's margins on the mini are pretty substantial, they could easily have afforded it.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by resuna

People who bought the Mac mini with the 9200 aren't upset that they can't get the Dashboard Ripple effect, they're upset that Apple must have known when they put the 9200 in the Mac mini that the 9200 didn't have the functionality they require for QE2d, the new GPU-based rendering engine (QE just does GPU compositing). So why didn't they at least use a 9600SE? The price difference between the 9200 and the 9600SE isn't that great... about $20. Apple's margins on the mini are pretty substantial, they could easily have afforded it.

But is that the price difference now - or then? I agree it's a bit short-sighted of Apple but they also only made Tiger on DVDs which pissed off recent iBook purchases.
  • Reply 87 of 114
    resunaresuna Posts: 4member
    Quote:

But is that the price difference now - or then?

It's the price difference last summer, when I was looking for a new video card so my son could play Halflife 2 when it came out.

Quote:

I agree it's a bit short-sighted of Apple but they also only made Tiger on DVDs which pissed off recent iBook purchases.

But they didn't... they just didn't ship the CDs in the package. I could live with having to wait for Apple to ship me the CDs if it meant I could get an upgrade to my 9200.
  • Reply 88 of 114
    Another cool thing:

You can control-click or right-click on preference panes to remove them from the system preferences.

I think Apple needs to create a tour telling people about these niceties - .Mac tutorials aren't enough.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Just to clarify the above. that only works on the "other" ones. Not the deafult ones
  • Reply 90 of 114
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Where do you get the information that Apple's margins on the mini are substantial? In what way is QE compositing not a reasonable tradeoff? It's switched off in Tiger on all machines anyway, most likely because of an incompatibility with Motion. But who's going to use Motion on a mini? The mini can't hardware accelerate Tiger's newly acquired 64-bit capabilities either. So? The OS scales with the hardware. That's a good thing.

Mini users do get the same massive (up to 10x) speedup in software rendering that all other Tiger users get.

The mini is still exactly what it was when people bought it: A cheap, quiet little Mac. They haven't lost anything. They've gained a lot with the upgrade to Tiger. What's the problem?
  • Reply 91 of 114
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    What Amorph said.

Time to quit whining that the lowest end computer of the lineup has less hardware acceleration than the faster machines.

If I am not mistaken, the end result is supposed to be the same whether something gets done in software or in hardware.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

I'm not a guy.

How do I know that? There was a this time that I was e-mailing these dogs, and I never knew that. There names were Kibbles and Bits, I mistook canine for clever.
  • Reply 93 of 114
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

yeah it's a good implementation that you can drag into the dashboard layer.

FWIW, it does work to drag a file into the Dashboard corner. It activates Dashboard, and if you just drop the file on empty space, it does nothing; but if you drop it on something that can take the drop, it works. The Translation widget will take the file path of a file, for example.

Edit: it also works to select and then press and drag words from Safari onto the translation widget.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    I think this is the same as the slow-mo opening and closing of Dashboard, but doing Shift+Click on the Weather Widget will do a slow-mo expand/contract of the widget.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Oh in Dashboard, the track pad scrolling works on the Version Traker widget. Other widgets that have scroll bars don't seem to work, but I've gotten the Version Traker one to work.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

Oh in Dashboard, the track pad scrolling works on the Version Traker widget. Other widgets that have scroll bars don't seem to work, but I've gotten the Version Traker one to work.

The shift works for closing widgets as well.

Scrolling doesn't work on any widgets that I've tried - this is a real shame.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Another cool thing:

You can control-click or right-click on preference panes to remove them from the system preferences.

This is not new, it could be done in Panther.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

This is not new, it could be done in Panther.

oh - it's still cool though! If only it worked for Classic - which is there even though I have no classic folder.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    rhythmrhythm Posts: 16member
    Concerning the Systran translation Widget, the speed and accuracy of English to Simplified Chinese has been impressive. Really useful to have on the desktop.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

This way you'll have to buy MacMini Rev2 when it comes out. I don't think your whining. I would be disapointed too.