Cool things found in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I think the additions to Font Book are pretty cool.

We were having some slowdowns in TextEdit, Word etc. when using the font palette or font menus.

With the new FontBook, you can highlight all of your fonts and ask it to verify your fonts. After doing this we found about a dozen fonts that FB recommended to remove from our list. Did that.

Then you can have it remove duplicates.

Now are word processing apps and font palettes/menus work like you would expect.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I think the additions to Font Book are pretty cool.

We were having some slowdowns in TextEdit, Word etc. when using the font palette or font menus.

With the new FontBook, you can highlight all of your fonts and ask it to verify your fonts. After doing this we found about a dozen fonts that FB recommended to remove from our list. Did that.

Then you can have it remove duplicates.

Now are word processing apps and font palettes/menus work like you would expect.

Hi, i just wanna ask, how many fonts did you have installed, when the slowdown appeared. I also think i've lots of font installed - but my fontmenus are working fine - so i just wanna find out how much is lot?

And to all the others:

I'm still running panther - wanna switch in the next half year,

but it's cool to listen to your comments - a big community has finally gotten a new toy! have fun guys!
  • Reply 63 of 114
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

There is an Apple supplied Automator script for this.

With Automator open click on Spotlight. Select the "Add Spotlight Comments to Finder Items" script.

Drag a folder into the workspace. Then select the above script. Hit run. This will add your comments to the Folder. If you want them added to each individual file within the folder, you have to select the files and drag them into the workspace then select the script and run.

It would be nice if someone could amend this script so that just by dragging in a folder it would add the comments to the files in that folder.

Just "Save As" as a Folder Action. It works.

Although the script launches each time, annoying.

And it'll just keep adding the same keywords if you re-drop it, not sophisticated like a custom script would be.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    How do you make Dashboard stay open all the time? Can you place these on the desktop permanently?
  • Reply 65 of 114
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

How do you make Dashboard stay open all the time?

You can't. It wouldn't make any sense.

Quote:

Can you place these on the desktop permanently?

Start dragging one out of the row of icons at the bottom of Dashboard. As you are dragging, hit F12 to kill Dashboard. Then drop the item. It will float above all of your windows.

To get rid of it, put it back into Dashboard by dragging it, then hitting F12, then dropping it.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

You can't. It wouldn't make any sense.

Start dragging one out of the row of icons at the bottom of Dashboard. As you are dragging, hit F12 to kill Dashboard. Then drop the item. It will float above all of your windows.

To get rid of it, put it back into Dashboard by dragging it, then hitting F12, then dropping it.

Thank you, but this seems to be more of a debug thing then a feature as;

A. you can only have one at a time on the desktop

B. when F12 is pressed again, the widget is purged from the desktop

C. the now purged widget is stuck on stupid untill you remove it by clicking on the add/remove panel at the bottom.

I would like to start creating my own widgets like the drag and drop ftp "Transmit". But I want them visible all the time, I hate doing the dog and pony show every time I need to use a widget. Grab file, while still holding it press F12 and now drop the file over widget, naaah I just want to drop it.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    I found this from Versiontracker Amnesty Widget Browser , It gives me the ability to do want I want. It's actually pretty neat, it puts a little menu in the right hand screen with all available widgets. Just select the ones you want on the desktop, easy.
  • Reply 68 of 114
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kampfkolos

Hi, i just wanna ask, how many fonts did you have installed, when the slowdown appeared. I also think i've lots of font installed - but my fontmenus are working fine - so i just wanna find out how much is lot?

And to all the others:

I'm still running panther - wanna switch in the next half year,

but it's cool to listen to your comments - a big community has finally gotten a new toy! have fun guys!

I only have about 250 fonts installed at this time. The few that were corrupt and the duplicates must have been enough because fixing them made things work better.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    Quote:

I would like to start creating my own widgets like the drag and drop ftp "Transmit". But I want them visible all the time, I hate doing the dog and pony show every time I need to use a widget. Grab file, while still holding it press F12 and now drop the file over widget, naaah I just want to drop it.

That's why the Transmit widget is a stupid idea for a widget, imo. Sounds neato keen until you actually need to use it.

Developers, we want less complexity, not more.

Transmit should just be able to make droplets.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Click a widget (to select it) and then hit Command-R. Mmmmm, tasty widget reloading eye candy.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Not sure if I installed anything weird, but I just noticed that pressing F5 in all programs enables a word autocomplete feature. I.e. start typing a word, and press F5.
  • Reply 72 of 114
    rhythmrhythm Posts: 16member
    Hmmm... Pressed F5 while typing, but couldn't activate any autocompletion feature. However, that command-R "Widget twirl" feature is pretty cool... Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Reply 73 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Not sure if I installed anything weird, but I just noticed that pressing F5 in all programs enables a word autocomplete feature. I.e. start typing a word, and press F5.

That's not auto-complete. Not sure what the proper name for it is though.

It only works in Cocoa apps, I think.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

now that is ingenious - i think it's using the built in dictionary! Hell it even works in Safari! THAT IS SO APPLE!
  • Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:

Thank you, but this seems to be more of a debug thing then a feature as;

A. you can only have one at a time on the desktop

B. when F12 is pressed again, the widget is purged from the desktop

C. the now purged widget is stuck on stupid untill you remove it by clicking on the add/remove panel at the bottom.

What if you set Dashboard to open when your dragged your mouse to a certain corner? It's under System Pref/Dashboard Expose. And then, when you were holding and dragging an item, if you took it to that corner, wouldn't Dashboard open? Hmm... I should try it out at home, but it seems like that would work.
  • Reply 76 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreeneGirl7

What if you set Dashboard to open when your dragged your mouse to a certain corner? It's under System Pref/Dashboard Expose. And then, when you were holding and dragging an item, if you took it to that corner, wouldn't Dashboard open? Hmm... I should try it out at home, but it seems like that would work.

if you drag a widget it opens it in dashboard
  • Reply 77 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

if you drag a widget it opens it in dashboard

I think the last two posts don't understand what Relic is talking about.

Or I could be confused. Or both.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I think the last two posts don't understand what Relic is talking about.

Or I could be confused. Or both.

I was replying to the guy who had no idea what relic meant!
  • Reply 79 of 114
    Quote:

Ah, ok True, you were just clarifying.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Quote:

I'm not a guy.