Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Comments

• Reply 61 of 185
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I would have preferred an X600 and CPU options up to 2.3ghz, but overall this is a very good mid year update.
  • Reply 62 of 185
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

that is the best idea i have seen on appleinsider for a while, and someone actually suggesting a practical, reasonable, and enticing solution instead of just whining

apple's message definitely includes saying, we can't give you a g5 portable just yet, but hey, the iMac is easy to transport if you need to and is simple and sexy AND powerful.

i'm honestly surprised griffin hasn't tried something like this yet. everyone's all on the bandwagon for ipod cases, why not imac? plus, i would get some perverse joy of walkign around with the handle of said case handcuffed to my wrist.

p.s. griffin, while you're at it, throw in a retractable powercord, like they have on vacuum cleaners and such. then you just sit at your desk, prop the back, pull out the cord and plug in, lower the keyboard and boot up. the keyboard wouldn't even need to be corded to the imac, since it's got bluetooth (though you need to make the batteries easy to change out).
  • Reply 62 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Personally I always thought the 20" iMac displays were lower spec'd (lower contrast, higher delay) then their 20" Cinema Displays.

According to Anandtech's review there's only one panel supplier for the 20" wide-screen, so they're all the same. (Apple Cinema, iMac, and Dell 2005FPW)
  • Reply 64 of 185
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Yes pity that. I would have also liked it to come with an SLI 6800 Ultra system in it. Oh and for it to be one inch thinner, and should come as standard with a case made of diamonds as well. Guess there's no pleasing some people.
  • Reply 65 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Unfortunatly Apple is playing with the USB specs again.

The COMPUTER doesn't come with 5 USB ports. It comes with 3 USB 2 Hi-Speed ports.

The keyboard comes with 2 USB 2 Full-Speed ports.

Which means that if you opt for the wireless keyboard, you lose the two Full-Speed ports, and are down to 3.

Apple really should add those two ports to the computer itself. In the PC Forums, whenever it comes to talking about the Macs and ports, it's always pointed out that even a $400 PC has at least 4 USB ports, very often five. on the COMPUTER.

I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?
  • Reply 66 of 185
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Unfortunatly Apple is playing with the USB specs again.

The COMPUTER doesn't come with 5 USB ports. It comes with 3 USB 2 Hi-Speed ports.

The keyboard comes with 2 USB 2 Full-Speed ports.

Which means that if you opt for the wireless keyboard, you lose the two Full-Speed ports, and are down to 3.

Apple really should add those two ports to the computer itself. In the PC Forums, whenever it comes to talking about the Macs and ports, it's always pointed out that even a $400 PC has at least 4 USB ports, very often five. on the COMPUTER.

Apple's been playing with their specs for years. You don't get 5 USB ports, you only get 4, and, in truth, just three.

Why? Well, they count the three on the computer, plus 2 on the keyboard. But you need to plug the keyboard into the computer (goodbye one computer port). Then you need to plug in one mouse (usually into the keyboard). So just to run the computer, you've already used 2 of the five, including one of the hi-speed ports for a low-speed device.

Gotta love apple! For some reason they limit internal expandability (in the iMac, PowerMac, whatever) to where you need external devices for everything, then they limit the number of ports to plug all these external devices into. Like, they think people just use their computer, a printer, and that's it?
  • Reply 67 of 185
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883102612

4 USB ports, 2 FireWire.
  • Reply 68 of 185
    dschangodschango Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

I would have preferred an X600 and CPU options up to 2.3ghz, but overall this is a very good mid year update.

what? i love this update! this is more than every realistic rumor! especially after the (in my opinion) bad update uf pm's (two models nearly didn't change....)!!

2.3 ghz would have gone too far!
  • Reply 69 of 185
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

According to Anandtech's review there's only one panel supplier for the 20" wide-screen, so they're all the same. (Apple Cinema, iMac, and Dell 2005FPW)

That's good to know, thanks. I have a Dell 2005FPW for my Shuttle and it's a great screen.
  • Reply 70 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yeah, I have. Printer, scanner, keyboard (they DO use a port), media card reader, Palm or Windows phone, mouse.

That's six. A game controller would be another, etc.

Remember that these ports are NOT made to be continually plugged into. They are rated for a couple of hundred of plug-ins at MOST. In my electronics supply catalogs, some USB port parts are rated for >>>50<<< insertions.

Many devices don't work through a hub, powered or not.

Apple is selling these machines on the simplicity of the desktop. In their ads, they even remove the wires.

A hub destroys the "look" Apple is trying to achieve. And that is the LEAST important part of it. >>>50<<< insertions. You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.

On my Powermacs, I have several Firewire cards, and several USB cards, on each machine, sometimes.
  • Reply 71 of 185
    dschangodschango Posts: 49member
    Do I use the same memory for the rev.B as I used for the first G5 iMac? Or do I need to buy new ones?
  • Reply 72 of 185
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

A hub destroys the "look" Apple is trying to achieve. And that is the LEAST important part of it. >>>50<<< insertions. You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.

Since Macs started having USB ports 7 years ago we haven't witnessed one failed port - and yes our users user media card readers.

I think it's insane to have them all plugged in at all times.
  • Reply 73 of 185
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Ahh, thanks. I did not know the iMac G5 had two USB 1.1 ports too.

on the keyboard
  • Reply 74 of 185
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

originally posted by rok

p.s. griffin, while you're at it, throw in a retractable powercord, like they have on vacuum cleaners and such. then you just sit at your desk, prop the back, pull out the cord and plug in, lower the keyboard and boot up. the keyboard wouldn't even need to be corded to the imac, since it's got bluetooth (though you need to make the batteries easy to change out).

Well if they went to trouble of developing such a case, how about an adapter that at one end the imac plugs into. On the underside you plug in an ibook battery.
  • Reply 75 of 185
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Yeah, I have. Printer, scanner, keyboard (they DO use a port), media card reader, Palm or Windows phone, mouse. That's six. A game controller would be another, etc.

Remember that these ports are NOT made to be continually plugged into. They are rated for a couple of hundred of plug-ins at MOST. In my electronics supply catalogs, some USB port parts are rated for >>>50<<< insertions.

Many devices don't work through a hub, powered or not.

You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.

On my Powermacs, I have several Firewire cards, and several USB cards, on each machine, sometimes.

I just replaced a IOGEAR PCI 5-port USB (model GIC250U) in my Blue and White. It was randomly ignoring USB devices. I replaced it with a Belkin 5-port (model F5U220) which works much better. The hubs I tried don't work well either.

Could the iMac G5 have an open PCI Slot in the future?
  • Reply 76 of 185
    hodog16hodog16 Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Do I use the same memory for the rev.B as I used for the first G5 iMac? Or do I need to buy new ones?

According to Apple's website, if you're buying memory, make sure it is PC3200, which I believe was used in both rev A and rev B now.

Quote:

Note: DDR-SDRAM is closely correlated with your computer's processor. You should purchase PC3200 DDR-SDRAM for iMac. If you don't purchase memory directly from Apple, be sure to check with the third-party manufacturer to verify compatibility before purchase. Refer to your user's manual for a detailed description of the memory used in your computer.

With that said, is there a difference in companies if I decide to buy non-Apple branded RAM? Looking at places on dealram.com, I can get 2 GB of RAM for $180-$290 but from Apple it is $400+?
  • Reply 77 of 185
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Well if they went to trouble of developing such a case, how about an adapter that at one end the imac plugs into. On the underside you plug in an ibook battery.

haha! i love it! it's like they could retrofit the imac INTO a laptop case... er, um, briefcase. heck, throw in two battery bays, and we'll kick it pismo-style like it was 1999!
  • Reply 78 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Since Macs started having USB ports 7 years ago we haven't witnessed one failed port - and yes our users user media card readers.

I think it's insane to have them all plugged in at all times.

If they are continually being plugged in and out of then you're lucky, as I've said.

Most people, including myself, would prefer to leave everything plugged in, if possible, especially with these plugs in the rear.
  • Reply 79 of 185
    resres Posts: 711member
    This is a tempting update, the only things I would have liked to see on this would be firewire 800 (or two separate firewire 400 buses) and a 9600 XT.
  • Reply 80 of 185
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.

Perhaps this is not what you are looking for, but it is very handy for carrying a G5 iMac.