Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
CUPERTINO, Calif., May 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today unveiled a new iMac(R) G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort(R) Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Mac OS(R) X version 10.4 "Tiger," the latest version of the world's most advanced operating system. The new iMac G5s also include faster graphics, a new 8X SuperDrive(R) with double-layer support, built-in Gigabit Ethernet for faster networking, and 512MB of memory across the line. Every new iMac G5 comes with iLife(R) '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, making it the ultimate consumer desktop for today's digital lifestyle.

"Reviewers have called the iMac G5 'the most elegant desktop computer in the world' and now it's getting even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a faster processor, built-in wireless networking, Tiger and iLife '05, the new iMac G5 offers the best consumer desktop computing experience in the world."

The iMac G5 makes the ultimate statement in design simplicity with the entire computer, including the power supply and slot-load optical drive, built right into a two-inch thin display. The new iMac G5 offers gorgeous widescreen displays including a 20-inch model with 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution or a 17-inch model with 1440-by-900 pixel resolution. With built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless modules, it's even easier to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Featuring the breakthrough performance of the PowerPC G5 processor and offering up to a 667 MHz front-side bus, the new iMac G5s include 400 MHz DDR memory expandable to 2GB and storage capacity up to 400GB. All new iMac G5s offer the ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB of dedicated video memory to deliver high-performance graphics and effects for next-generation games and provide ultra-fast, pixel-accurate image processing when combined with the graphics capabilities of Tiger.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54Mbps wireless networking*, built-in Bluetooth, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as Apple's market-leading iPod(R) digital music player, digital video camcorders, digital still cameras and printers.

Every new iMac G5 includes Tiger, the fifth major release in four years of the world's most advanced operating system. Tiger delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac(R), including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

The new iMac G5 includes iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto(R), iMovie(R), iDVD(R), GarageBand(R) and iTunes(R), the world's number one online music store. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

A collection of productivity and entertainment titles is included with every iMac G5, including AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh(R), 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac G5 line is available immediately through the Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;

-- 1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

-- 512MB of 400 MHz DDR SDRAM;

-- 24X Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;

-- ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB video memory;

-- Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR;

-- 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networking, 56K V.92 Modem;

-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

-- Two FireWire 400, three USB 2.0, two USB 1.1 ports; and

-- Built-in stereo speakers and microphone.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;

-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:

-- 20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680-by-1050 pixels;

-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

-- 250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB of RAM, 250GB and 400GB hard drives, AirPort Express(TM) and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new iMac G5 line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education at www.apple.com/education/store or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL.

*Actual speed will vary based on range from the base station, environmental conditions and other factors.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 185
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    I hoper they are less noisy.
  • Reply 2 of 185
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple today unveiled a new iMac G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger."

The new iMac G5s also include faster graphics, a new 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support, built-in Gigabit Ethernet for faster networking, and 512MB of memory across the line. Every new iMac G5 comes with iLife '05, Apple's suite of digital lifestyle applications.

"Reviewers have called the iMac G5 'the most elegant desktop computer in the world' and now it's getting even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a faster processor, built-in wireless networking, Tiger and iLife '05, the new iMac G5 offers the best consumer desktop computing experience in the world."

The iMac G5 makes a statement in design simplicity with the entire computer, including the power supply and slot-load optical drive, built right into a two-inch thin display. The new iMac G5 offers widescreen displays including a 20-inch model with 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution or a 17-inch model with 1440-by-900 pixel resolution. With built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless modules, it's easier to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Featuring the performance of the PowerPC G5 processor and offering up to a 667 MHz front-side bus, the new iMac G5s include 400 MHz DDR memory expandable to 2GB and storage capacity up to 400GB. All new iMac G5s offer the ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB of dedicated video memory to deliver high-performance graphics and effects for next-generation games and provide ultra-fast, pixel-accurate image processing when combined with the graphics capabilities of Tiger.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54Mbps wireless networking, built-in Bluetooth, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire 400 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals.

Every new iMac G5 includes Tiger, the fifth major release in four years of the world's most advanced operating system. Tiger delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac®, including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

The new iMac G5 includes iLife '05, Apple''s suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes, the world's number one online music store. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

A collection of productivity and entertainment titles is included with every iMac G5, including AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh, 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac G5 line is available immediately through the Apple Store, at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;

1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

512MB of 400 MHz DDR SDRAM;

24X Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;

ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB video memory;

Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR;

10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networking, 56K V.92 Modem;

160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Two FireWire 400, three USB 2.0, two USB 1.1 ports; and

Built-in stereo speakers and microphone.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;

2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:

20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680-by-1050 pixels;

2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;

8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB of RAM, 250GB and 400GB hard drives, AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new iMac G5 line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education.
  • Reply 3 of 185
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Radeon 9600 128mb ...

And there was much rejoicing.
  • Reply 4 of 185
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I hoper they are less noisy.

Noisy? The 17" I bought for my mother is almost completely silent.
  • Reply 5 of 185
    webavatarwebavatar Posts: 55member
    I think we can expect a new Powermac model on the high-end now at WWDC.. at least it has a little more credibility, now that the low-end model is shit compared with iMac's
  • Reply 6 of 185
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Radeon 9600 128mb ...

And on all models! Good for you, Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 185
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Noisy? The 17" I bought for my mother is almost completely silent.

We have 22 17" iMacs and they all have a fan with an irritating whiny noise.
  • Reply 8 of 185
    Wait a minute - do these actually have AirPort and Bluetooth STANDARD?!
  • Reply 9 of 185
    webavatarwebavatar Posts: 55member
    Yes!

They have to be standard when Apple releases iHome in June :P
  • Reply 10 of 185
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

I think we can expect a new Powermac model on the high-end now at WWDC.. at least it has a little more credibility, now that the low-end model is shit compared with iMac's

phenomenal is what i can say. f8ck me. 512mb standard, airport extreme + bluetooth 2.0 built in, tiger, ilife, DOUBLE LAYER dvd-burner, ati 9600 128mb ram standard, apple NOW WE'RE TALKING. THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO SEE

yes, hopefully the fixed (a) fan noise issues and (b) 7200rpm hard drive performance issues (xbench rates it as low as an iBook hard disk in some cases)

PowerMac (edit:affordability and value) looks shite compared to this. It looks like Apple is making iMac g5 and iBook (updates/price cuts next few weeks hopefully) the core SWITCHER/ HALO EFFECT hooks (the iPods being the bait of course). OS X Tiger is the line and iLife the sinker. bait, hook, line and sinker. awesome. now apple just has to reel 'em in... !! YEAH
  • Reply 11 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Wait a minute - do these actually have AirPort and Bluetooth STANDARD?!

you got it my friend
  • Reply 12 of 185
    I just priced out a 20-inch model and all the stuff I would have added (AP, BT, 250GB HDD, 512MB on one stick) is now standard! This amounts to about a $300 price cut for me! I am SO getting one of these.
  • Reply 13 of 185
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    What about the voltage? Is it still only 120V for the US, universal auto-switching everywhere else?
  • Reply 14 of 185
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The eMacs have been updated too! 1.42GHz, 64MB 9600!
  • Reply 15 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I just priced out a 20-inch model and all the stuff I would have added (AP, BT, 250GB HDD, 512MB on one stick) is now standard! This amounts to about a $300 price cut for me! I am SO getting one of these.

it's excellent value mate... it's a G5 too. G5s have been so bloody maligned but don't forget a single G5 1.6ghz destroys a dual-G4 1.25ghz in some CPU-intensive operations (i have experienced this myself with Reason 2.5 pure software synthesis)... the ghz myth is over. 2005 sees a big shift in my-ghz-is-better-than-yours attitudes, hopefully.
  • Reply 16 of 185
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

it's excellent value mate... it's a G5 too. G5s have been so bloody maligned but don't forget a single G5 1.6ghz destroys a dual-G4 1.25ghz in some CPU-intensive operations (i have experienced this myself with Reason 2.5 pure software synthesis)...

Right, just look how the G4 and G5 perform in HD decoding .
  • Reply 17 of 185
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well - this is a shame. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?
  • Reply 18 of 185
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

HD video is there, just not 1080p. For this one we have to wait for the dual processor 23" iMac .
  • Reply 19 of 185
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well - this is a shame. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

You can download a firmware update from somewhere that allows dual spanning. I've been using it on my current iMac G5 and it's been great.
  • Reply 20 of 185
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sadly I can't get an iMac G5 now but I'm definitely setting myself up for a RevC. Now I know i'll have Gigabit and built in wireless plus a 2.2 or greater G5 I'm thrilled.