Photoshop X?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    And it will probably hard it's on Aqua GUI elements and not use the Extras.rsrc just like Illustrator for some things.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    gorgonzola wrote:

[quote]PHP is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, I believe, but I'm just nitpicking ;-)<hr></blockquote>

That would make more sense, actually.

PERL, anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 126
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>

and yes - Photoshop will be the final nail in the OS9 coffin. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it will be Quark and SCSI support.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    Yeah, where is Adobe??
  • Reply 25 of 126
    I am sure Adobe was waiting on OS X working at a decent speed
  • Reply 26 of 126
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. As stated before dreamweaver is for lamers - i call it DreamONweaver because of the pitiful and I Mean PITIFUL code it writes.

here is a made up example of dreamwever code

&lt;font color=#123456&gt;&lt;img src=something&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;Here&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;is&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font...&gt;my&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;sucky&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;dreamweaver&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;web page&lt;/font&gt;

• Reply 27 of 126
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by mania:

<strong>You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. As stated before dreamweaver is for lamers - i call it DreamONweaver because of the pitiful and I Mean PITIFUL code it writes.

here is a made up example of dreamwever code

&lt;font color=#123456&gt;&lt;img src=something&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;Here&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;is&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font...&gt;my&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;sucky&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;dreamweaver&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;web page&lt;/font&gt;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That looks like it's been created with Microsoft Word. If it happens in dreamweaver, just it the auto-clean code button and all that's gone.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by mania:

<strong>You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. </strong><hr></blockquote>

1) Try to allocate more than 436800KB of RAM

---&gt; Crash immediately

2) Opening and saving file usually 3x slower

3) Option click outside of the working window will crash the ENTIRE Classic environment

4) Pen tools and creating selection are very jerky

5) Sometime saving file can cause serious data corruption with that file

6) Brush at the size of 100 pixel or bigger usually is slow like hell

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 126
    les not mention what happens when in Photoshop in Classic and someone say messages you on ICQ and you get that icon bouncing going on
  • Reply 30 of 126
    [quote] If it's not optimized, I will throw stones towards Adobe's headquarters.

<hr></blockquote>

Im going over to do that right now wana join me?
  • Reply 31 of 126
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

---&gt; Crash immediately </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have that much RAM, so that's not a problem for me.

[quote]2) Opening and saving file usually 3x slower <hr></blockquote>

Yes, it's slower, but not too much on my iBook.

[quote]3) Option click outside of the working window will crash the ENTIRE Classic environment<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't do that for me, I just tried.

[quote]4) Pen tools and creating selection are very jerky<hr></blockquote>

Works exactly the same as in 9 for me.

[quote]5) Sometime saving file can cause serious data corruption with that file<hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen that and I've been using Photoshop in Classic since March.

[quote]<strong>6) Brush at the size of 100 pixel or bigger usually is slow like hell</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but it's like that in OS 9 for me too, so I don't notice any difference.

[quote]Originally posted by thentro:

<strong>

Im going over to do that right now wana join me? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I was going to wait until it was released first. You go ahead, I'll catch up later.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MacAgent ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 126
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Remember when Photoshop 4.5 was 'carbonized' for use on Rhapsody 5 or 6 years ago? </strong><hr></blockquote> :confused:

Would that work in OS X.1?? May be a stupid question but will it?

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>
  • Reply 33 of 126
    There was never such a thing.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

[QB]

---&gt; Crash immediately <hr></blockquote>

Holy crap, so that was my problem. Thank you!! I should have asked somebody earlier...
  • Reply 35 of 126
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Fran411

In regards to it being carbonized already a few years ago, I used to use that arguement too (when the demo was shown)

But lately I heard that that build was just the very basics. It wasnt actually ported fully. You could only select a few tools (shown in demo) and thats it. 90% of the functionality was not there yet. So basically, they started (maybe) 2-3 years ago and have yet to finsih.

Imagine the demo Jobs gave of 10.1 a few months ago. For example whe showing the menu bar 'docklings' (volume, battery status etc), the battery status indicator was just hard coded to 77% (or whatever it was). It didnt actually work.

anyway I hope they put the same level of attention as the MacBU at MS did when making Office v.X. That really is a VERY nice piece of work. Illustrator 10 also seems to be very good
  • Reply 36 of 126
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    How are you so sure it will be PS 7? Im not so sure. Think about it, Adobe is most definatly a cross platform company. They are not going to release a new version of Photoshop just for users of OSX. The program must be compelling for both Mac and PC users. Illustrator 10 added support for OSX, but that was a bonus for Mac users - not the reason they upgraded the product. Adobe will not release a whole version number for simple upgrades, as was demonstrated by the 5.0 - 5.5 upgrade. Not a major upgrade, but had a few new features. I can see 6.5 with a few new features along with OSX support, not 7. PS 6 had a slew of new features, it will be difficult for them to improve on such a great product so soon.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Most likely, we will have the product in late January, and based on what I know it will be version 6.5 Basically, there will be improvements to the features that arrived with version 6 (tweaks to the Brush palette, improved vector capabilities, streamlined layer effects, etc), more so than a lot of brand new features.

Also, the fact that Illustrator 10 has just been released for OS X is a very good sign. Usually it's about a year between releases and this is when Illustrator 9 came out last year. Basically, we can assume Adobe now has the tools they need (in terms of a more mature API and OS) to get their OS X products out the door.

Photoshop 6 came out last December, so a January or February release makes sense, given the app is being written for a new OS.

The only product that at this time, that seems long overdue, is InDesign 2. That application has been in the works much longer than the others if memory serves correctly. Something on the order of 18 months now. It's available for pre-order, but who knows what that means in terms of a final release date.

Anyone know the precedent for that - how many months after a "pre-release" the actual product usually arrives? I never keep track of these things as I don't pay much attention to pre-release hype.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 126
    [quote]Anyone know the precedent for that - how many months after a "pre-release" the actual product usually arrives? I never keep track of these things as I don't pay much attention to pre-release hype.<hr></blockquote>I don't know what their usual lead time is, but it seemed like Illustrator 10 went from pre-order to shipping in just a couple of weeks.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: nebosuke ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 126
    [quote]Originally posted by 4fx:

<strong>How are you so sure it will be PS 7? Im not so sure. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They have added enough new features (which has pushed back the release date to April 2002) to justify calling it 7.0 (of course, that also lets them charge more for the upgrade).

By that time it will be almost 18 months since the release of 6.0, which is just about right for Photoshop's whole point release schedule.

Fru
  • Reply 40 of 126
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by FruJu:

They have added enough new features (which has pushed back the release date to April 2002) to justify calling it 7.0 (of course, that also lets them charge more for the upgrade).<hr></blockquote>

Where do you get that idea...that somehow version 7.0 would cost more to upgrade to than 6.5? As far as I know the upgrade price would be the same either way.

Also, seems you know about a bunch of new features and the release date. Care to elaborate?