News Flash: Mac OS X 10.4.2 around the corner

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer's new Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system is less than a month old, but already the company is rumored to be knocking the kinks out the second maintenance release, Mac OS X 10.4.2.

Rumor has it that the operating system update, the second on a list of many scheduled for Tiger, could be released within the next 45 days.

So far there is no word on which key enhancements Mac OS X 10.4.2 is expected to deliver, but tipsters said builds of the operating system should begin to surface within a week's time.

The most recent version of Tiger is Mac OS X 10.4.1, which Apple released on May 16th -- about 2 weeks after Tiger was released to the purchasing public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Maybe iSync will get a little better after coming out of hibernation. iSync gets better and better but still isn't "there."
  • Reply 2 of 74
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quartz 2D Extreme please.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Quartz 2D Extreme please.

yes - and a fix to those crap Widgets.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    woosterwooster Posts: 27member
    Or perhaps fix the very annoying bug with Automator workflows saved as self containd applications. They just do not work when saved without user interaction.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Between me and allyuh, 10.4.1, was not worth the upgrade. It slowed down my system, corrupted Mail beyond repair, damaged my iTunes library THREE times and affected Safari and other apps adversely. I was not impressed and have since reverted to 10.4. Much snappier, Mail works, Safari works... everything is working.

So I'll be seriously thinking through any upgrades... 10.4.2, had better fix whatever went tragically wrong in 10.4.1.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I have never had much of an issue with any upgrade I have done. The only one I can think of was 10.2.8 before they issued the fix for it. Every other upgrade (since 10.1.2) has been fine (shrug). Don't know what to tell ya...
  • Reply 7 of 74
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is a known issue in the transmittal of data from the US to the UK when done through SWU.

• Reply 8 of 74
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Sticking with 10.3.9 I do not understand the rush into a purchasing a Release Candidate which I believe 10.4.0 is, and 10.4.1 is RC1

10.4.3 should probably be what would really be called Gold.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Running 10.3.9 almost makes me feel cocky.

Let me know when 10.4 is safe
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

I just got Tiger on Tuesday and everything is running great. And I just did an upgrade, no erase & install for me.

No sense in waiting, now's as good a time as ever.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hugodrax

Sticking with 10.3.9 I do not understand the rush into a purchasing a Release Candidate which I believe 10.4.0 is, and 10.4.1 is RC1

10.4.3 should probably be what would really be called Gold.

So true. The first two releases of Tiger were release candidates, at best.

And I think that is being generous. Q2D is turned off. iSync obviously doesn't work as billed. Spotlight doesn't index everything. And hundreds of painful serious but not critical bugs.

This sounds more like a mid to late beta than a RC.

I think 10.4.3 should be "gold quality." But it really depends on how fast Apple is bug fixing.

It would not surprise me if 10.4.4 or even 10.4.5 is gold quality. Yes, still with bugs, but with most functionality working as advetised on most configurations.

I wish I had your strength to stay with 10.3.9. But I am a nerd. And I am paying the piper for it now.

Come on Apple. Tiger has such great potential, just kill the bugs.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    One other thing...

As to this rumor that 10.4.2 is "around the corner."

Unless something has drastically changed, this is not true. I think Apple is trying to get Tiger actually working for 10.4.2. The .1 release was mostly stuff they had on the shelf prior to launch. I think .2 is the serious bug fixing post live.

But, things change. And I could be wrong, but this is not my understanding. Maybe the big bugs are taking longer than expected and .2 will be another minor update.

Personally, I hope this is a 150mb+ update. Yes, Tiger is that buggy.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    well, i hope they add opengl 2.0 (and q2de)

for the rest tiger work well for me
  • Reply 14 of 74
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

did a fresh install a few days ago,

went from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1

i am LOVING it. seriously. just be sure to not run too many widgets, take it easy on dashboard. i've just got 3 world clocks and magic8ball widget (yeah!!!) and it's cool, even with Azureus in the background

lots of great improvements.

a few 'gotchas' some people have had trouble with (nothing that has personally affected me so far, like i said) so i donno what to say

iTunes library from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1 was a flawless drag and drop transfer from my external hard disk \

Dashboard cleanup is in the pipeline for 10.4.2 ~ people who have like 20 widgets running though and then complain its slow are idiots IMHO

• Reply 15 of 74
    oh, and the Magic8Ball says that 10.4.2 WILL come with improvements to dashBoard
  • Reply 16 of 74
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

oh, and the Magic8Ball says that 10.4.2 WILL come with improvements to dashBoard

• Reply 17 of 74
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I am hoping they do something about battery consumption. I am lucky if I get 2 hours just using Safari. With Panther I was getting close to 4.5 hours listening to iTunes, surfing with Safari, and using other applications (Quicken, AppleWorks, etc.) when I needed them. Since I do not use my iBook in a way I am dependent on good battery life I can live with it, but I am not happy at all. If I was using my laptop for business I would have already moved back to Panther, but since I am using it for personal computing I will ride the Tiger because it's usability is more fluid than Panther's.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Sticking with 10.3.9 for now, but I've got 10.4.1 installed on a second drive. It mostly works quite well, actually, but I have one major problem (and several minor ones)...my M-Audio Sonica USB doesn't work at all in Tiger...which means no 5.1 sound from DVD Player. I won't be switching until that one is fixed, at the very least.

There was a time when I would have jumped on the latest OS releases even if I had to deal with a few setbacks until updates were available to fix them. But nowadays I have work to do and absolutely cannot accept anything critical being impaired, nor do I have the desire to put up with even relatively minor glitches if they will add frustration to my day. So I'll be testing Tiger safely on my second drive until such time as it all works properly, and if I have to wait till 10.4.5 in six months (not a real projection -- just an example), that's what I'll do.

That said...I do look forward to switching, when Tiger is mature enough. I very much like a lot of what it has to offer -- not just its headline features, but also the many significant improvements under the hood.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stormchild

Sticking with 10.3.9 for now, but I've got 10.4.1 installed on a second drive. It mostly works quite well, actually, but I have one major problem (and several minor ones)...my M-Audio Sonica USB doesn't work at all in Tiger...which means no 5.1 sound from DVD Player. I won't be switching until that one is fixed, at the very least.

There was a time when I would have jumped on the latest OS releases even if I had to deal with a few setbacks until updates were available to fix them. But nowadays I have work to do and absolutely cannot accept anything critical being impaired, nor do I have the desire to put up with even relatively minor glitches if they will add frustration to my day. So I'll be testing Tiger safely on my second drive until such time as it all works properly, and if I have to wait till 10.4.5 in six months (not a real projection -- just an example), that's what I'll do.

That said...I do look forward to switching, when Tiger is mature enough. I very much like a lot of what it has to offer -- not just its headline features, but also the many significant improvements under the hood.

yeah, totally. m-audio is pretty good with their updates but we'll have to give them a few months for stable m-audio drivers for 10.4.x
  • Reply 20 of 74
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Dashboard cleanup is in the pipeline for 10.4.2 ~ people who have like 20 widgets running though and then complain its slow are idiots IMHO

You do know that Dashboard widgets do not use any processing time when the Dashboard is not visible, right?