Paris expo: speculation thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    How many minutes until Steve's Keynote? Wasn't it about this time last year that we learned he was battling cancer? I am hoping for something a lot more upbeat than that, but do not think I could stand one more long series of "it will be wonderful when we get to the Promised Land of Intel."
  • Reply 82 of 153
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Prediction for Paris:

Might Mouse with Bluetooth.

You know, you just might be right murky! With Tiger now in everybody's tank, Wouldn't that be G-R-E-A---T!?

I know it's a long flight from Tokyo to Paris, but after opening up iTunes Japan-- VERY NICE SITE, by the way-- what more could we do this year?
  • Reply 83 of 153
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Eh, I'm still not convinced Apple will want to use the 32-bit Yonah in it's Power products. Definately in the iBook and Mac Mini, but since Apple's Power products won't be updated until later Intel should hopefully have a 64-bit Pentium M / Yonah derivative ready by the time Apple transitions the power products.

the iMac was forgotten in the previous post.

PB G4 (32-bit G4) [now] -> PB G4 (32 bit FS7448 1.8GHz) [oct '05] -> PB Pentium M (dualcore 32-bit x86 Yonah) [Q1 '06] -> PB Pentium M (dualcore 64-bit x86 Merom) [Q4 '06]

PM G5 (dual 64-bit G5) [now]-> PM G5 (dual dualcore 64-bit G5) [nov '05] -> PM x86 Conroe (dual dualcore 64-bit) [Q3 '06]

iMac G5 (single 64-bit G5) [now]-> PM G5 (dualcore 64-bit G5) [dec '05] -> PM x86 Conroe (dualcore 64-bit) [Q4 '06]

iBook (32-bit G4) [now] -> ibook Pentium M (32-bit singlecore Yonah) [Q2 '06] -> iBook Pentium M (single core 64-bit x86 Merom) [Q1 '07]

Mac mini (32-bit G4) [now] -> Mac mini Pentium M (32-bit singlecore Yonah) [Q2 '06] -> Mac mini Pentium M (single core 64-bit x86 Merom) [Q1 '07]

XServe G5 (dual 64-bit G5) [now]-> XServe G5 (dual dualcore 64-bit G5) [Q1 '06] -> Speedbump [Q4 '06] -> XServe x86 ?????? (multi-core 64-bit) [Q3 '07]
  • Reply 84 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

the iMac was forgotten in the previous post.

PM G5 (dual 64-bit G5) [now]-> PM G5 (dual dualcore 64-bit G5) [nov '05] -> PM x86 Conroe (dual dualcore 64-bit) [Q3 '06]

Beg pardon ... you earlier had the PM G5 dual-dual in Paris '05. That is SEPT 20-24, a long, long time before November (at least it seems so from now).

Let's not have any more deadlines slip, ok? (yes I know everything has an error bar of +/- 6 months and +/- processor architecture).

Waiting/wanting to spend some $$$ on Apple hardware+software,

Brian
  • Reply 85 of 153
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

Beg pardon ... you earlier had the PM G5 dual-dual in Paris '05. That is SEPT 20-24, a long, long time before November (at least it seems so from now).

Let's not have any more deadlines slip, ok? (yes I know everything has an error bar of +/- 6 months and +/- processor architecture).

Waiting/wanting to spend some $$$ on Apple hardware+software,

Brian

The first post ( Paris '05 ) wasn't mine... I was suggesting other dates and CPUs than ngmapple and adding the missing pieces.

m
  • Reply 86 of 153
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The PowerMac as we know it will probably transition to the woodcrest (merom family zeon). I think there is a real chance of a "PowerMac light" similar in features to the development machines though.
  • Reply 87 of 153
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Here's my tentative guesses for the expo (keeping in mind that it's still over a month away):

If they emphasize portables, we'll see a PowerBook update. The 7448 is supposed to offer up to a 25% clock speed boost at the same power/thermal capabilities, so 2 GHz isn't out of the realm of possibility. Form factor change? Probably not; doing it with the Pentium M switch would make more sense. If laptops are updated at all during the expo, though, expect a Wireless Mighty Mouse (which would likely replace the Wireless Mouse altogether).

If desktops are the focus - and this is more likely, actually - I'd guess that they'd have a redesigned PowerMac. Dual-core is a significant bump, and there are enough new technologies that Apple needs to add (PCI Express, etc.) that it would be worth the move. I don't expect any Mac mini, iMac, or eMac updates at the expo itself. If they arrive, they do so 2 weeks before or after.

iPods are good candidates as well. The colour iPod mini is a prime candidate. The timing is right (just in time for the holidays!). The iPod shuffle could possibly get a screen, but Apple may actually make it part of a remote if they try to add more controls. I think Apple will be apprehensive about repeating the iPod photo fiasco by launching an iPod video at a premium: as we all know, iPod photo sales didn't take off until Apple lowered prices to where the gap between models was much smaller.

And, as always, there's the possibility of a New Apple Widget showing up, but I honestly couldn't imagine what it would be unless it was Asteroid. And that's hardly worth Jobs showing up for a keynote speech.
  • Reply 88 of 153
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Here's something else to worry about. I noticed that XCode 2.1 - the version which makes both Intel and PPC binaries - isn't available for the PowerPC. Well of course, you say, that's why the developer machines are available. But think about it: if they stick with that, PPC machines will never be able to produce Intel code. I think that bodes ill for any PPC update, especially for the PowerMac.

Other than that, I agree with Commodus. The 7448 PowerBooks will be fast and cool, and have long battery life. The color iPod Mini is an easy and popular update. I'd like to see a flash-based version of the Mini, leave the Shuffle alone.
  • Reply 89 of 153
    whats really going to happen is uncle steve is really going to say:

"hey kids, sorry about this, you see we really said all that stuff about moving to intel at wwdc to just, well piss off IBM, well i know it was a bit childish, but it was the only way i could see of getting them off their fat arse to do some work, so yeah, we're not really moving to intel, and here, have a G5 powerbook"

stu
  • Reply 90 of 153
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

whats really going to happen is uncle steve is really going to say:

"hey kids, sorry about this, you see we really said all that stuff about moving to intel at wwdc to just, well piss off IBM, well i know it was a bit childish, but it was the only way i could see of getting them off their fat arse to do some work, so yeah, we're not really moving to intel, and here, have a G5 powerbook"

stu

Maybe uncle Steve will tell us how the porting to Intel is going since Apple should know that or at least for the big apps. Once that is complete or at least wrapping up then Apple can move. If the chips are ready is another story... But we are wrapping up '05 quickly, so is will be off to the races very soon. Intel is aligning up the chip sets for Yonah support. Now as far as the PowerMac goes that may depend more on technologies than CPU performance, like off loading current CPU tasks that would boost CPU performance, and then there is on board graphics, I never hear what Intel is doing there, but I'm sure that they want to better compete for the $$$ Anyone know about the on board graphics chips that Intel has planned?
  • Reply 91 of 153
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I totally see a few demos of MAJOR apps running on Intel other than Mathmatica. I think such a demonstration is a major psychological thing to investers and developers, more so than the average users. Of course when I say major, I speak of things like even Apple's own internal apps like Final Cut Pro or Logic, for example. It would also be nice to see an alpha or beta of Photoshop or ProTools running natively on x86 too.
  • Reply 92 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    [EDITED] nvm
  • Reply 93 of 153
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Here's something else to worry about. I noticed that XCode 2.1 - the version which makes both Intel and PPC binaries - isn't available for the PowerPC.

I'm running 2.1 here, on a Powerbook G4.
  • Reply 94 of 153
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Here's something else to worry about. I noticed that XCode 2.1 - the version which makes both Intel and PPC binaries - isn't available for the PowerPC.

Funny, I DL'ed v2.1 the day after WWDC'05...

Seems to run fine on the PPC boxes here...
  • Reply 95 of 153
    I'd like to think the Paris Expo was going to bring a Dual core PowerMac.

But it may be the iTunes 'Phone', a colour screen for mini iPod and a Powerbook revision to 2.0 G4.

I'm not expecting great things...until San Fran'.

Then, I'd really like to see an updated PM line...with PCI Express...and new Ati/Nividia cards...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 96 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Funny, I DL'ed v2.1 the day after WWDC'05...

Seems to run fine on the PPC boxes here...

Link, please. I have looked all over the Apple site for it.
  • Reply 97 of 153
    Quote:

You have to register for the free developer account to download it I believe. I've been running it since about a few weeks after the WWDC myself.
  • Reply 98 of 153
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

I got mine from ADC.
  • Reply 99 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

You have to register for the free developer account to download it I believe. I've been running it since about a few weeks after the WWDC myself.

You're right! Downloading now. ...And I must say there are a lot of nice things on that site. Don't know how I missed this 8)

On the other thread they say inventory of PMs is way down. Paris is still a long way off, though...
  • Reply 100 of 153
    Steve will come out and say: "We have done better than expected.. the cancer (IBM) is gone! Introducing the new MacIntels...........

NOT!!!

I think it will be the Dual-Dual's G5's (which the rumors indicate they have been working with for a long time) hence they probably already have the boards designed. It would be sooner then later (Jan would be to late, think of the rev cycles the will produce before Intel PM's). I bet they will release a PB G5's (freescale chip)...

thoughts?

g