Apple unveils faster iBooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

A better question ... Of all the people complaining about the upgrades that Apple did to the iBook and Mac Mini, how many were even planning to purchase one?

put me on the list of 'planning to' but today decided against. Can't live with that GPU or Screen. ick.
  • Reply 42 of 165
    Quote:

A better question ... Of all the people complaining about the upgrades that Apple did to the iBook and Mac Mini, how many were even planning to purchase one?

Hmm that is a better question!

Quote:

Well I hope this Apple policy changes as soon as they start using Intel chips. If they don't upgrade on a faster pace, they will be left standing in the dust in the wacky world of Intel/AMD competion.

this s true also, can't wait!
  • Reply 43 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

The last update before mac intels. Just 9 months to go before next update.

mothers may beg to differ but i swear it's gonna be another 9 painful months of gestation
  • Reply 44 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

me \ guess what i'll be doing now... scoping out the 1st gen Mac mini for my dad and take over his iBook
  • Reply 45 of 165
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tikiman

Good systems for the most part (for the price), but I would really have liked the graphics resolution to have gone up. They're still 1024x768.

In all honesty, 1024*768 is great on a 12 inch, and untill true resolution independance is in place and as smooth as Expose, anything higher would be really bad for people with not so perfect vision, like me..
  • Reply 46 of 165
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

It's just the Apple no competition (high % profit) thang.

That is the problem. Apple only needs to better this iBook from the previous one and they think they've done a good job.

It will come to bite them on the a** when potential switchers walk into a Apple retail store and chuckle at the outdated features at double the cost of a PC laptop.

Macheads will probably bite the bullet and still pick one up because of the OS.

But it just amazes me how Apple keeps letting the opportunity to make real significant marketshare gains, slip away. Yes, they're growing, but it could be so much more.
  • Reply 47 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

Why can't they change the design?? It's getting so boring and old...

compare that "old boring" design to the new "innovative" laptop designs from Dell, heavier, thicker, slide-out optical drive trays v the slot load (the slide-out drawr optical drives scare me on a college campus, students tend to be rough on their equipment and with a slot loader, you cannot break off the tray)finish/color shceam, durability...

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 48 of 165
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Such a random video card and bus speed...
  • Reply 49 of 165
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

In all honesty, 1024*768 is great on a 12 inch...

But not on a 14 inch.
  • Reply 49 of 165
    bbgunbbgun Posts: 1member
    Why, oh why, does Apple persist with these pathetically inadequate 1024x768 displays?
  • Reply 51 of 165
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i think some of us should fill out the feedback for the ibook and let Apple know what we think:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/powermac.html

(use the drop down for the 'what type of computer do you own' and select ibook g4)

Might be useful...but somehow I think Apple themselves already know this was a lame update. At least I hope they do.
  • Reply 52 of 165
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    For the price, I honestly wouldn't have much problem ponying up for the 12" iBook model, but PC laptops are starting to become very, very nice (and the prices keep coming lower and lower).
  • Reply 53 of 165
    This is a great upgrade, for a consumer laptop, this is superb, a much needed bump in RAM, a bigger HDD, and the biggie for students, the drop-proof HDD technology, making the end product faster and more durable is great, the proc doesnt mean everything, hell with the old config, I don't think the jump form 1 to 1.2 ghz mattered at all speed wise because the ram was a huge bottle neck that is now gone, so yes, it will be faster than yesterdays model..
  • Reply 54 of 165
    Why ATI Radeon 9550 with only 32MB
  • Reply 55 of 165
    I'm surprised the graphics card is as good as it is. I would have though the next logical step would have been the 5200 which is Core Image/Video compatible. Also you don't need the 64 Mb of video RAM for core image, my Nvidia 5200 with 32 MB works just fine in my 12" Powerbook, more is better but not required. Also why is everyone expecting the iBook at $999 to have the same or a better video card as a $2,500 PowerMac. Anyway I think it is good enough for the moment and I won't be expecting anything else until it goes Intel.
  • Reply 56 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

Also why is everyone expecting the iBook at $999 to have the same or a better video card as a $2,500 PowerMac.

No one wants the Power Mac GPU in an iBook. Apple should offer a BTO option to up the VRAM at 64 MB, which the minimun standard for the Powerbook. It just does not look normal like it is now.
  • Reply 57 of 165
    tutleytutley Posts: 7member
    i was planning on buying a 12" powerbook with superdrive... but now the updated ibooks look pretty comparable. is the extra $$$ for the powerbook worth it???
  • Reply 58 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by tutley

i was planning on buying a 12" powerbook with superdrive... but now the updated ibooks look pretty comparable. is the extra $$$ for the powerbook worth it???

As things are now, no.
  • Reply 59 of 165
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tutley

Depends what you want to do, for me, yes. The iBook simply does not meet my needs. I need to use my big external Apple cinema display, and you cannot do that with the iBook.

Furthermore, I have to burn DVDs, and I do not want an external drive. Plus, although the speed difference is somewhat negligible, it is there, and the 5400 RPM drive in the Powerbook also helps.
  • Reply 60 of 165
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I am really shocked by the negative responses to this fantastic update, from Apple Computer. The 12-inch iBook is now an out-of-the-box performing machine, for so many more people. You have the airport (yes I know that isn't new), you have the bluetooth, and you have 512MB of memory. Plus, it is faster. All of this, for just under one thousand dollars.

There are going to be a lot of students and consumers a lot more impressed, when they turn on their iBook for the first time, or play with one at the Apple store, now that it has an acceptable amount of memory. Furthermore, there is less one has to "add on."

Finally, I point out the 512 MB is built-in, so if you want to add memory, you have a completely open So-dimm slot, which is not the case on the current 12-inch Pbook, which has 512 split, between built-in and so-dimm.

I congratulate Apple. I think this was an acceptable update, and I look forward to the Q4 numbers.