Apple unveils faster iBooks

Comments

• Reply 121 of 165
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

And the dollar is stronger now than it was when the previous iBooks were launched.

I don't care and I will tell you why. Every time that the currency balance changes in favor of the dollar, Apple is in a hurry to adjust the prices. If the change favors the euro, they leave the prices for much longer unchanged just to better milk the european market.

So I don't care if the dollar is stronger now.
  • Reply 122 of 165
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't care and I will tell you why. Every time that the currency balance changes in favor of the dollar, Apple is in a hurry to adjust the prices. If the change favors the euro, they leave the prices for much longer unchanged just to better milk the european market.

Apple adjusts the prices when they release new models. It has been that way for years.

Only once in the last couple of years have they adjusted prices on existing models, as far as I remeber, and it was in our favor as Europeans.
  • Reply 123 of 165
    still have my g3 700mhz, and my applecare. when that runs out by april, i'll be looking for a new ibook. either via applecare or when this g3 goes. which ever comes first! the next major repair applecare promised to replace. but this last repair has been awhile and i do not anticapate this going anytime soon.
  • Reply 124 of 165
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Hmmm, anybody want to try this upgrade?

I'd love to get a 7448 notebook. From what I understand, it will run a lot cooler at the same clock speed. It will run all my current software for years to come without the need to upgrade to avoid the Intel performance hit.
  • Reply 125 of 165
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I'd love to get a 7448 notebook. From what I understand, it will run a lot cooler at the same clock speed. It will run all my current software for years to come without the need to upgrade to avoid the Intel performance hit.

What makes you think there will be a performance hit? Even if Apple doesn?t use the new dual core mobile chips in their first Mactel models the normal Centrino would defiantly outperform the G4. 2MB of L3 cache, 2GHz clock, shitt count me in.
  • Reply 126 of 165
    Quote:

What makes you think there will be a performance hit? Even if Apple doesn?t use the new dual core mobile chips in their first Mactel models the normal Centrino would defiantly outperform the G4. 2MB of L3 cache, 2GHz clock, shitt count me in. Unless you own older software that will not be compiled to 8086, even then I'm sure Rosetta should run it fine if not at the same slow speed your used to on the G4.

Update.
  • Reply 127 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    "....even then I'm sure Rosetta should run it fine if not at the same slow speed your used to on the G4..."

ouch. me-owww..!!
  • Reply 128 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

"....even then I'm sure Rosetta should run it fine if not at the same slow speed your used to on the G4..."

ouch. me-owww..!!

Not so harsh really, the G4 just isn?t competitive in terms of speed anymore. In fact I?ll even go, as far as to say I think G4?s are slower then molasses on a cold winter morning; wait, wait I should rephrase that, it?s slow with OSX. If your happy with the performance fine, nothing to say more but my money is going to a Centrino processor notebook with or without Apples help. These miniscule G4 updates are a joke and a waste of my money. I rather be buried up to my neck next to a ant hill before I lay down one more cent for a G4 anything Apple. G4, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE already.

Ok, maybe this was a little over the top but it?s been a while since I posted due to a lack of anything worth mentioning about Apple. Until they come out with a worthy update to the iBook or Powerbook it?s just one big yawn.

Relic: takes of Troll boots and goes back to his daily Pron regiment.
  • Reply 129 of 165
    Quote:

Not so harsh really, the G4 just isn?t competitive in terms of speed anymore. In fact I?ll even go, as far as to say I think G4?s are slower then molasses on a cold winter morning; wait, wait I should rephrase that, it?s slow with OSX. If your happy with the performance fine, nothing to say more but my money is going to a Centrino processor notebook with or without Apples help. These miniscule G4 updates are a joke and a waste of my money. I rather be buried up to my neck next to a ant hill before I lay down one more cent for a G4 anything Apple. G4, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE already.

Ok, maybe this was a little over the top but it?s been a while since I posted due to a lack of anything worth mentioning about Apple. Until they come out with a worthy update to the iBook or Powerbook it?s just one big yawn.

you know, i agree in terms of -performance- and -value-for-money- the g4 is on it's way out.

looking at it as a consumer platform and initial switcher platform, it's swan song, its last 6-12 months, it will be laid to rest peacefully.

i'm on an iBook g4 933mhz 10.4.2 640mb ram, modded with 5400rpm drive and screen spanning hack, ati overclocked 20% core, 10% mem. running multiple applications, organising my stuff, listening to music at the same time, i'm enjoying myself.

i'm not really into games, just don't have time to sit down for hours at a stretch fraggin, though there's nothing wrong with that once in a while. but with the PS3 and such things round the corner, gaming on Mac is well, not a priority. it's weird that we use these pretty little computers for serious work, huh?

also i got an old Pentium2-333mhz with windoze 2000 as my bitTorrent slave i'm not going to demean my mac with all that azureus stuff running in the background clogging it up

i will NOT buy another g4. i'm looking at a iMac g5 17" 1.8ghz for value for money. got my tax refund.... YEAHH !!.... but temperature wise, i really dont know. on "better performance" energy settings, temperatures are showing 130degrees F on average on this sub-1ghz g4. it doesn't help that i am in a place that is 90-95 deg F all year round .

i'm gonna go hang out at the PC overclocker places in this town and see what is up with say two large (removable!!) liquid cooling or somethin' heat blocks to place on the back of the iMac g5. this along with a table fan (to keep mySELF cool as well) will be superb for some awesome G5, ATi 9600, and HDTV 720p action

i'm damn lucky i'm in a part-time job now that doesn't require a powerbook, an iBook with 512mb ram is enough.

now how should i spend my $2000 AUD YEAHHHHH

well, toodles and poodles,

laterz.

you gotta wear the Troll boots every now and then... as long as you're not extremeTroll like that RealityCheck dude on macObserver, its all cool mate
  • Reply 130 of 165
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    I'm about to bail out on sites like this because many people posting in the forums seem to pull so many "facts" completely out of their ass. I was a little bummed out because I had been planning to buy an iBook but so many people here were griping that the video card did not support Core Image and Video which is something that I wanted. And yet today, we hear otherwise from a more authoritative source:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

I wish people would post to these places ONLY when they know what they're talking about. That's not asking a lot. If you're one of the people who got so worked up and griped about this, stop and ask yourself why you felt the need to vent over something you clearly... CLEARLY... didn't know anything about. I know this is a rumors site, but why spread misinformation by overreacting?

On the other hand, this is cool. Now I'm sure I'm going to buy one.
  • Reply 131 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

I'm about to bail out on sites like this because many people posting in the forums seem to pull so many "facts" completely out of their ass. I was a little bummed out because I had been planning to buy an iBook but so many people here were griping that the video card did not support Core Image and Video which is something that I wanted. And yet today, we hear otherwise from a more authoritative source:

I wish people would post to these places ONLY when they know what they're talking about. That's not asking a lot. If you're one of the people who got so worked up and griped about this, stop and ask yourself why you felt the need to vent over something you clearly... CLEARLY... didn't know anything about. I know this is a rumors site, but why spread misinformation by overreacting?

inkswamp, i understand your frustration. but don't give up on appleinsider yet? generally, you should stay away from the "new hardware just released" kind of threads because lately (and who can blame them) people like myself have felt that apple is not always offering great value for money.

the current hardware, future hardware, general, and genius bars have a number of other threads that have a bit more information and discussion, other than just venting.

that's why i started this thread on the ati 9550, which had some good responses, including confirming full core image compatibility and apple updating their website to reflect that. this was before xlr8yourmac posted that article:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=56413
  • Reply 132 of 165
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

I cant say I disagree - but.

Thjis update was really just to get mac mini's and ibooks Tigering. While the video cards ant really up to scratch - still 32mb ram, it is good that apple started bundling BLuetooth as standard on the ibooks, as well as doubling the ram.

This simply means that the rumored 14" widescream that everyone keeps talking about will come with the macintels.

If you dont need a computer now, wait 12 months for real updates.
  • Reply 133 of 165
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

This update was really just to get mac mini's and ibooks Tigering.

The memory upgrade was welcome, although without an empty slot, the mini is still hard to stomach. The GPU upgrade in the iBook brought it up to Tiger standards, but nothing was done for the mini. I'd give the iBook upgrade a "B" and the mini upgrade a "D."

<off-topic> I see that Apple now offers refurbished older minis for $50 or $70 off the original price. Kinda laughable since it'll cost that much to bring the memory up to snuff after you buy one.
  • Reply 134 of 165
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I'm about to bail out on sites like this because many people posting in the forums seem to pull so many "facts" completely out of their ass.

What can I say - you're right. The urge to post exceeds the urge to research.

Just like - how many of the people saying "32 MB isn't enough VRAM" actually know the performance metrics of Quartz Extreme's virtual memory system under various apps? Answer: none. I'm sure that the Apple engineers know, though - every year at the WWDC they take us through performance profiling and they do it on everything as a routine part of development. They are not going to put 32MB in the machine if QE's VM system is thrashing its ass off with just a few apps running.
  • Reply 135 of 165
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

You might as well bail out of every forum. Forums are for venting as much as anything else. If incorrect info is posted someone will come along and correct it. It's like real life, except it's not face to face, so people can say things they would never get away with.

We do argue about things that NOBODY knows anything about though.
  • Reply 136 of 165
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    It wasn't my intent to thread-jack, so I'll keep this brief.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You might as well bail out of every forum. Forums are for venting as much as anything else.

I understand that, and I don't begrudge people their venting when there's an actual reason to vent. My point was that those who whined about the iBooks not being core image and video compatible should stop and ask themselves why they did that. Obviously, they didn't know what the hell they were talking about and therefore, it's logical to assume, they had no reason to vent. It was unnecessary venting that caused confusion and annoyance for me--a fellow Mac-user--with whom they are here ostensibly to communicate.

I mean, who goes around imagining reasons to freak out when there are so many legitimate reasons, anyway?
  • Reply 137 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

What can I say - you're right. The urge to post exceeds the urge to research.

Just like - how many of the people saying "32 MB isn't enough VRAM" actually know the performance metrics of Quartz Extreme's virtual memory system under various apps? Answer: none. I'm sure that the Apple engineers know, though - every year at the WWDC they take us through performance profiling and they do it on everything as a routine part of development. They are not going to put 32MB in the machine if QE's VM system is thrashing its ass off with just a few apps running.

That's very true; however once you connect that iBook to a second monitor all bets are off. So I to will go down in books as saying, "32 MB isn't enough VRAM", Apple just squeaked by with the bare minimum lets all rejoice.

Inkswamp, buy it already and stop seeking other peoples approval, lunging at a forum for bitching about a product your interested in is silly. We're mostly pissed off at the fact that the iBook hasn't gone anywhere spec-wise in the last two years.
  • Reply 138 of 165
    Quote:

It wasn't my intent to thread-jack, so I'll keep this brief.

I understand that, and I don't begrudge people their venting when there's an actual reason to vent. My point was that those who whined about the iBooks not being core image and video compatible should stop and ask themselves why they did that. Obviously, they didn't know what the hell they were talking about and therefore, it's logical to assume, they had no reason to vent. It was unnecessary venting that caused confusion and annoyance for me--a fellow Mac-user--with whom they are here ostensibly to communicate.

I mean, who goes around imagining reasons to freak out when there are so many legitimate reasons, anyway?

heh. maybe we should start initiating virtual Spanking** for all the people that came out and were like "it's not core image compatible!"

inkswamp, start naming Names.... heh

**oops, i'm on the wrong website for this kind of stuff

• Reply 139 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. maybe we should start initiating virtual Spanking** for all the people that came out and were like "it's not core image compatible!"

inkswamp, start naming Names.... heh

**oops, i'm on the wrong website for this kind of stuff

We should deputize him first to give him the power of the spanker.

• Reply 140 of 165
    Quote:

That's very true; however once you connect that iBook to a second monitor all bets are off. So I to will go down in books as saying, "32 MB isn't enough VRAM", Apple just squeaked by with the bare minimum lets all rejoice.

Inkswamp, buy it already and stop seeking other peoples approval, lunging at a forum for bitching about a product your interested in is silly. We're mostly pissed off at the fact that the iBook hasn't gone anywhere spec-wise in the last two years.

also, i think its just that spend 6 months or more on appleinsider and you pretty much figure out how apple tweaks its specs and 'adjusts' it's hardware to maintain a certain level of profit margins.

while i think good on them for their profitability and keeping mac os X as a stellar operating system that is very important to my lifestyle,

i WAS looking for a decent iBook and maybe thought that apple WOULD bring out the big guns to keep interest in their products post-macintel. Hence, admittedly, i am dissapointed....