iPod nano sales off to slow start

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
First week sales of Apple's new shockingly thin iPod nano have fallen short of expectations, with most Apple retail stores having sold only one-fourth of their initial inventory of the players, AppleInsider has learned

A couple of Apple retail stores in California, which last week received over 1400 iPod nanos, said they sold only a couple of hundred units by Saturday. This despite favorable reviews from both analysts and the media.

"Our checks indicate good, but not great initial sales of iPod nano," said Shaw Wu, an analyst for American Technology Research. "This may be surprising given the consensus view from both the investment community and technology reviewers that the iPod nano would be a big success."

According to the analyst, many Apple stores who were contacted reported selling only 200-500 of their initial 1800-2500 iPod nano allocation. Additionally, Wu confirms earlier reports that the black iPod nano is greatly outselling the white models.

"[The] black-colored ones are outselling the white ones by a great deal," Wu wrote in a research note released to clients on Tuesday. "5 to 1 and in some cases as high as 8 to 1." Coincidentally, these sales ratios completely contrast Apple's initial production ratios of the nano, which reports suggest were 1 black nano for every 5 to 8 white nanos.

AppleInsider's own checks reveal that at least two other retail locations had sold out of the 4GB black model, but retained stock of all other models.

At the same time that sales of the nano appear to be lacking, demand for the now discontinued iPod mini continues to be strong, according to Wu. He notes that the price cuts applied to the mini just prior to the release of the nano have since been retracted.

"We believe iPod nano is a great product and evolutionary step combining the best elements of iPod shuffle, iPod mini, and iPod photo, but we believe Apple may need to make some changes to ensure its success as a high-volume product," Wu added.

The analyst speculates that the iPod maker may need to slash the price of the nano by $50 if sales continue to under-impress.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    They should've released 4 and 6 gig models.
  • Reply 2 of 149
    Just goes to show that the analysts hardly ever get it right. Remember when the original mini came out, it got panned by the pundits as being too expensive for the storage capacity and then proceeded to become the most popular ipod model in the lineup.
  • Reply 3 of 149
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I went in to the Apple store and handled them myself (both colors). I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just didn't want to buy. Strange...

I think the difference betwen this and the normal iPod is that the nano reminds you of something else. It doesn't matter what (hifi remote? pcmcia card?), the point is that by virtue of not reminding you of something else, the original iPod was unique. But this does remind you of something else.

It's just a thing, not a unique thing. Maybe... that's not the whole story either, still trying to figure out why I didn't want to buy.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    Well, it hasn't even been out a week yet so I guess we'll see if it picks up. It's top selling at Apples online store and quickly moving up the charts on Amazon.com.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    yeah,,,i dont know. I know there really wasnt room for an additional ipod but I wish they wouldnt have replaced the minis....My wife loves her blue mini and my sister desperately wanted a pink one for her birthday coming up...I told her to wait cuz i thought she might be able to get a pink one with a color screen. Well now she might not even be able to get a pink one at all! For me I have a 40 gig that is full and cant imagine only having 4gigs.....unless it was my second ipod. But I dont really need that. And can say with certainty that the women in my life really liked the minis A LOT more than the nanos. Or so they say. I think they just liked the colors it came in. All though they have not seen the nanos in person.

I also feel like I would lose or break the nano. \
  • Reply 6 of 149
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I had expected this.

You get less storage space for the same price as the Mini, and you also get a smaller product (that argument is purely psychologically)

Also perhaps the fact that it doesn't support Firewire might turn down a few customers...
  • Reply 7 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

yeah,,,i dont know. I know there really wasnt room for an additional ipod but I wish they wouldnt have replaced the minis....My wife loves her blue mini and my sister desperately wanted a pink one for her birthday coming up...I told her to wait cuz i thought she might be able to get a pink one with a color screen. Well now she might not even be able to get a pink one at all! For me I have a 40 gig that is full and cant imagine only having 4gigs.....unless it was my second ipod. But I dont really need that. And can say with certainty that the women in my life really liked the minis A LOT more than the nanos. Or so they say. I think they just liked the colors it came in. All though they have not seen the nanos in person.

I must say it does LOOK like it could be easily broken but it irks me when people say things like that. Just like when that one analyst said the iMac G5 LOOKS like you could just touch it and it would fall over. That's a negative review but it wasn't true. Just becuase you think somthing will happen doesn't mean it will. The nano was tested for durability and was very very durable. Now, the losing thing, that's another story.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    It's possible that black is just far more popular than white, and so people are waiting until there are more black ones so they can get one. It's also possible, however, that there are many people who are upset about the loss of the mini.
  • Reply 9 of 149
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It could simply be a matter of not enough black Nanos to go around.

If Apple's production ratio favoured the white Nano, and demand is for the black one, supply may be the issue of lower than expected sales.

Hindsight is 20/20 (we all know from the original iPod), but a $50 drop would probably have gone a long way in guaranteeing a successful launch.
  • Reply 10 of 149
    I think afalkner hit the nail on the head. We learned from the mini that price isn't an issue (or shouldn't be - chances are, if it is, you have bigger priorities than an iPod!), many people owned a 4gig Mini not a 6gig mini and sleeker is always better ("Hooray, an iPod I can slip into my purse.")

What the Nano doesn't have is color selection. It may have a color screen, but it still doesn't come in color - and rubber/silicon skins are not the answer. I tried one of these recently and it felt gross to touch my iPod (plus the iSkin I tried left some nasty marks on my iPod).

If production costs are the issue, maybe Apple should develop a faceplate system for iPods. A potential problem is that doing so would add to the bulk of the device, but color, it seems, matters more than size.
  • Reply 11 of 149
    I dont put a lot of faith in this story. I was in Indy this weekend and the store there was selling very quicky, lots of floor traffic,etc. Then Sunday we came home to Columbus and hit the Apple store here. Black 4 GIG Nano's were sold out. I heard a store associate say they sold out of those in a few hours on Friday. Again, floor traffic was very heavy, the store was packed.
  • Reply 12 of 149
    I was going to buy an iPod mini if they were going color screen, that was one of the reason why I was waiting, anyway, I already have an iPod mini (4GB) but when I saw the nano I was a click away from ordering it from Amazon since I don´t live in USA I can´t buy from the Apple Store, I though it will be an iPod color but smaller, but it is not... I want the TV output and not all my macs has USB 2 and neither I can use the camara adapter, so for me I will still using my mini and wait for a slimmer regular next version of the iPod color.

It´s a shame they will not sell the mini anymore, there is a lot of accesories for it, and the size form factor/HD is really great. This is the kind of move that Apple loves to do and now they risk more of what the need to risk.

If the coustumer wants the ipod mini as it is (and the sales charts show you that) don´t touch it, just add a new product to the mix, you dont need to replace it.

It´s like Adobe stop selling Photoshop and start selling a combo of Photoshop Elements with Acrobat!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 149
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmmm, I don't know, I find this report overblown as well.

If anything, it sounds like Apple misjudged the appeal of the black Nanos more than anything else. Which can be fixed fairly quickly.

The change must be a little disorientating for consumers at first, but once people see and handle them... I just don't see how these aren't going be a big hit.

p.s. Note that iPod Nanos are (of course) now the top sellers at the online Apple Store.
  • Reply 14 of 149
    No way will Apple drop the price very soon - they have more costs in the nano than the mini from what I have read.

I'm not worried about sales, especially with the holiday buying season very close. I'm actually more concerned with what Apple is going to do with their Macs for the rest of the year.
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Apple still makes Macs?
  • Reply 16 of 149
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Apple still makes Macs?

Sadly, for a generation of kids, Apple is only about iPods.
  • Reply 17 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

I went in to the Apple store and handled them myself (both colors). I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just didn't want to buy. Strange...

Question. Did you have the money to buy an iPod nano? If not, that could be the reason why you didn't get one. I'll leave you to think about it for a bit.
  • Reply 18 of 149
    Quote:

Lose it maybe. Break it? Not likely

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3
  • Reply 19 of 149
    Thats sweet! I take it back....i would not worry about breaking it anymore although when i was writing that...i was thinking of having it in the small pocket and sitting down with it...resulting in it bending. But since I havent actually held one in person I was making assumptions. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • Reply 20 of 149
    Good to see Chicken Little isn't dead

"Poor sales" or "great sales but starting slower than expected" or simply "people waiting because black is sold out?"

Reminds me of the people who said the 60 GB iPod was a flop because it sold fewer than the 20