Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Comments

• Reply 161 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by PookJP

South African Apple Site Slip

This seems to be relevant.

Already debunked.

It's a 'Video' of 'iTunes + iPod', not 'iTunes' + 'iPod Video'.
  • Reply 162 of 290
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'm thinking no ipod video. instead the apple projector...
  • Reply 163 of 290
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

Careful, last time I mentioned this some guy who's official duty it is to debunk Apple projector rumors jumped all over me.
  • Reply 164 of 290
    Was in the Regent Street store last night buying a few things....

Asked the guy who served me whether he was ready for Wednesday - he gave me a knowing look and said that it would be a big day.

He wouldn't tell me what it was but when I said that a video ipod didn't seem right given recent iPod announcements - he agreed and said that it wasn't a video ipod.

Gave the impression that it was powerbook related.
  • Reply 165 of 290
    Powerbooks are due, but unless Apple has pulled off a dual G4 (or G5) design, I can't see how big it can be.
  • Reply 166 of 290
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Powerbooks are due, but unless Apple has pulled off a dual G4 (or G5) design, I can't see how big it can be.

No way for a dual G4 (or G5), so if it is Powerbook, I guess it has to do with higher resolution displays (hopefully HD) with a h.264-decoding-capable GPU. Now the question is: do Quicktime/DVD player support hardware h.264 decoding, or if they don't, can this be added easily with some CI/CV trick?
  • Reply 167 of 290
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macdoginthefog

Was in the Regent Street store last night buying a few things....

Asked the guy who served me whether he was ready for Wednesday - he gave me a knowing look and said that it would be a big day.

He wouldn't tell me what it was but when I said that a video ipod didn't seem right given recent iPod announcements - he agreed and said that it wasn't a video ipod.

Gave the impression that it was powerbook related.

Yeah. I was working at the Regent Street store last night and this guy came in trying to get us all to say something about the Big Event? tomorrow, and we all decided just to take the piss and give him a look like we were trying to tell him he had a bogey hanging out of his nose.

• Reply 168 of 290
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Responding to comments that the PowerMac G5 case still isn't large enough, Apple announces the eight-processor PowerMac G5, suitable for use as a room divider. A single-processor model will be available which can double as a bookcase.
  • Reply 169 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

No way for a dual G4 (or G5), so if it is Powerbook, I guess it has to do with higher resolution displays (hopefully HD) with a h.264-decoding-capable GPU. Now the question is: do Quicktime/DVD player support hardware h.264 decoding, or if they don't, can this be added easily with some CI/CV trick?

I don't think anybody can say 'no way' to 2x G4 or G5, but I agree it's very unlikely.

Higher res LCDs is still playing catchup, so no biggy. Hardware h.264 would be nice but again not that essential.

None of that will make me upgrade my Alu Powerbook 1.25.
  • Reply 170 of 290
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    (Smacking him lightly on the face) "Kormac, can you hear me? For God's sake wake up man!" (Repeats smacking to no avail. Grabs collar and begins to shake Kormac's body.) "Somebody get the paddles! We need to shock him!"
  • Reply 171 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Careful, last time I mentioned this some guy who's official duty it is to debunk Apple projector rumors jumped all over me.

Wouldn't be talking about me would you?
  • Reply 172 of 290
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I don't think anybody can say 'no way' to 2x G4 or G5, but I agree it's very unlikely.

Yeah, my statement is exaggerated. Never say never, but as you already pointed out, it is very unlikely.
  • Reply 173 of 290
    Quote:

I know that delivery times are not a definitive factor when looking for updates, but they can provide backup to existing rumors. Therefore, I would like to point out that the delivery time on PowerBooks from the UK store have just been bumped up a few days for the 15in and 17in models.
  • Reply 174 of 290
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    History has shown that any hubbub about an upcoming Apple product in the mainstream media generally turns out to be true. I've only seen articles about new iPods (maybe video) and Macs. There's been nothing about media centers. Nothing about Airport A/V, and nothing about tablets. That leads me to believe that the "One more thing" is going to have iPods and possibly a G5 Powerbook or the first of the Intel Macs.
  • Reply 175 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

History has shown that any hubbub about an upcoming Apple product in the mainstream media generally turns out to be true. I've only seen articles about new iPods (maybe video) and Macs. There's been nothing about media centers. Nothing about Airport A/V, and nothing about tablets. That leads me to believe that the "One more thing" is going to have iPods and possibly a G5 Powerbook or the first of the Intel Macs.

I still think G5 PowerBooks are a little far fetched - after all, part of the reason for going to Intel is that you can't get a G5 into a laptop. So I'm going to stick my money on an iPod update (maybe not video, just 5th gen), and PowerBooks G4 updates. Maybe the Mac mini will be mentioned as well since it is unofficially updated already. Other than than, I am unsure. PowerMacs are possible, as is another Aiport Express type device. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 176 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

How about an Apple Projector in an iPod? Who is going to watch video on a dinky little screen, so instead everyone will be projecting onto the nearest wall as they walk along. Of course there will no doubt be issues with the legality of presenting your content to more than 8 people at a time, but maybe it'll come with decoder glasses so to everyone else it'll just look like a light show.

• Reply 177 of 290
    EchoStar gets it. This is the next step in PVR technology and the game Apple should've beat EchoStar to...

http://news.com.com/EchoStar+debuts+...3004&subj=news

Here's hoping.
  • Reply 178 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I know that delivery times are not a definitive factor when looking for updates, but they can provide backup to existing rumors. Therefore, I would like to point out that the delivery time on PowerBooks from the UK store have just been bumped up a few days for the 15in and 17in models.

I'm 99% sure 6-8 days is a store code for updating.
  • Reply 179 of 290
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

EchoStar gets it. This is the next step in PVR technology and the game Apple should've beat EchoStar to...

http://news.com.com/EchoStar+debuts+...3004&subj=news

Here's hoping.

Someone has already beaten EchoStar (and Apple) for over a year now...

iZak

I think it compares favorably to EchoStar's device. On the other hand, if Apple would add AV i/o to the Mac mini...

8)
  • Reply 180 of 290
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Already debunked.

It's a 'Video' of 'iTunes + iPod', not 'iTunes' + 'iPod Video'.

I think you mean, "alternately interpreted."

It's going to be a video-enabled iPod.