Apple introduces iMac with built-in iSight

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Anyone notice that there's no inbuilt modem?

Anyone on dial-up (there are still a hell of a lot of users on dial-up) have to buy an external Apple 56k modem add-on

Would it have cost so much to include an internal modem? Space issues or just cost cutting?

No it wouldn't have cost much but even $3 dollars multiplied by 3 million in sales adds up to some serious coin. It goes both ways...some people are happy to have the isight built in while others would prefer the modem.

I'm in hte former camp as Apple creating a USB modem makes my job a lot easier when it comes to dealing with fried or non-existant modems in older computers. Apple just gave us a $50 part that should work with most macs running a current OS X version. There's definitely a silver lining on this cloud.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    I really think Apple has awoken from the stupor they have been in.

I know the pro crowd is upset that it's always about the iPod and now this spectacular iMac (The ultimate dorm room computer). But it is exactly what Apple should be doing.

They are chasing the under 25 crowd as hard as they can. It's where the moneys at.

I mean be honest. Why would Apple even want to enter the enterprise market of no margins? I know that they would like to keep A/V, print and various other pro markets as well as education. But if they can capture the 12-25 crowd, all the rest doesn't matter.

I foresee in the near future that all macs will be consumer devices and that there will be a seperate pro line named something else.

I know it upsets the pro crowd because they have been so faithful and feel that if it wasn't for them then Apple would have been done a long time ago. But Apple can't survive on the pro market and education. It's just not there.

My hats off to Apple. Man what a company! This new iMac, the nano and new iPod is the start of something great.
  • Reply 83 of 138
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Yes, Apple's future looks very bright indeed. The itunes video concept is the start of something as big as the mp3 industry. It is just the very beginning but before long I bet almost all tv shows will be available on iTunes and then movies as the infrastructure catches up. The new iMac really isn't all that wonderful; however, the concepts apple has combined are really more than the sum of their parts. When apple has a replacement for the G4 all their lines will look as good as the imac... just give it time. Stock went up a good 4+ dollars today.
  • Reply 84 of 138
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

Why would Apple even want to enter the enterprise market of no margins? I know that they would like to keep A/V, print and various other pro markets as well as education. But if they can capture the 12-25 crowd, all the rest doesn't matter.

I foresee in the near future that all macs will be consumer devices and that there will be a seperate pro line named something else.

I think you've blurred the distinction between "enterprise" and "pro" there, maybe without intending to? Still, I mostly agree with what you might have meant.

Apple's strategy seems to be more one of finesse in choosing its markets rather than engaging in more direct confrontation with any opponents in them. Their success in certain markets may simply be having a noticeable and "significant enough" presence, without the need to dominate them.

Of course the iPod and iTMS are the exceptions, for now. And by the time that dominance wanes maybe they'll have diversified enough that it needn't matter. They can be satisfied letting someone else handle the long-term "mainstream maintenance" of those ventures while playing other markets where another "big thing" may or may not emerge.

That's one way to imagine Apple sustaining its current momentum without endangering itself to overgrowth. Sort of a fluctuation between little bits of Apple in many places and one big Apple in only a few. There's a lot of BS to that, too.

Oh, wtf, I forgot this is an iMac thread.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by TofuTodd

doesn't the X600 have VIVO, ie H.264 decode acceleration?

i think you are confusing VIVO with AVIVO

AFAIK in terms of the gaming cards only x1300, x1600 and x1800 have AVIVO.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Most people don't need one - I would rather have the minority pay £35 then the majority have to pay more for a computer for something they don't need! I can understand that it does seem slightly backwards!

OS X updates are very modem-unfriendly anyway, I'd say people stuck on dial-up might be better off under Windows. Sure, service packs are large, but any updates to any part of iLife entail a ~30MB download, the same goes for some security stuff, iTunes has gone down in size only because Quicktime was split off, QT 7.0.3 was 33MB, IIRC. I think one recent batch of updates meant 130+MB, which is approaching Windows service pack territory. I don't think Apple understands differential updates or patches, it's basically re-downloading the entire program.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the "minority" of internet users, I think it could vary between 30 and 70% depending on region. Apple didn't give the education market any break for buying modem-less machines, at least with the mini. I think the camera is a more valuable update, but I can imagine there are a lot of people that would have more use for a modem than a camera, skimping a $5 part to charge $50 doesn't seem so friendly to me.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by aturner10

I know it wouldn't be the most seemless way to do it, but couldn't you buy the video adapter and run a cable to your tv so you could use front row on something besides the iMac?

You could, and that might be a good idea given that the iMac has no inbuilt TV tuner...
  • Reply 88 of 138
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Note that the 1.5G option is $200. The cost of a 2GB stick is pretty damn high. On crucial's website it's above $1000. The big question is: Is the built-in 512MB a slot ("not user accessible") or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

The need for memory, and the desire for something like the 2.5 GB maxshould certainly be considered. I do not know how easily the slot can be accessed, but for now i would pay the $200 and wait some time before I went the max. This is usually against my philosophy of max memory is best, except perhaps on laptops where you want to save battery or if you happen to have an 8 GB max G5 PM!
  • Reply 89 of 138
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

...but I can imagine there are a lot of people that would have more use for a modem than a camera, skimping a $5 part to charge $50 doesn't seem so friendly to me.

I certainly can understand that the whole community is not yet off modems, but I wonder if the decision to make the modem a dangle wasn't a function of space in the new box...
  • Reply 90 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

i guess this means steve finally got over his bias against TV and its convergence with PCs.

This is nothing to do with TV but more about digital content. Now we definately will never see a TV tuner from Apple since all the TV stuff is converging with the digital side.
  • Reply 91 of 138
    splinemodel, i was thinking though, what if say in the middle of 2006 you need 4gb or more? in any case 2gb sticks will certainly be excessively expensive through to the first half of 2006.

a powermac g5 with 4x512mb sticks would be sweet. that gives you 2gb right there. the models with 8 memory slots would give you that headroom to go to 4gb and then 8gb if you really needed. anyway we'll see by the end of october tha powermac updates. there will be a few more "great new powerpc products". the iLord has restored my faith. i suppose then we can see what type of memory slots 4 or 8 or whatever in the new powermacs
  • Reply 92 of 138
    jidojido Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I was wondering how good the X600 XT really is compared to other graphics cards like the 9800 XT and etc. Thanks

The Radeon x600 XT is more or less a higher-clocked 9600 XT with PCI Express connectivity.
  • Reply 93 of 138
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jido

The Radeon x600 XT is more or less a higher-clocked 9600 XT with PCI Express connectivity.

What is PCI-Express?
  • Reply 94 of 138
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

What is PCI-Express?

Serialized PCI that has an upstream/downstream speed of 4GBps.
  • Reply 95 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

I certainly can understand that the whole community is not yet off modems, but I wonder if the decision to make the modem a dangle wasn't a function of space in the new box...

The modem is not big enough to actually affect the case size on way or another. I mean technically, yea it saves space getting rid of it, but the real world implications are more than likely unnoticeable.
  • Reply 96 of 138
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

The modem is not big enough to actually affect the case size on way or another. I mean technically, yea it saves space getting rid of it, but the real world implications are more than likely unnoticeable.

possibly - but I think it's also the extra cost of putting a modem in. Not everyone uses modems anymore and as it's a fading technology it's not that important to include it.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    Quote:

possibly - but I think it's also the extra cost of putting a modem in. Not everyone uses modems anymore and as it's a fading technology it's not that important to include it.

Well I agree with that statement.
  • Reply 98 of 138
    i think including the isight is better than including a modem. if you still have only dial up, or unreliable broadband that would need you to use a modem every now and then, perhaps the latest snazziest imac g5 is not really for you \
  • Reply 99 of 138
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i think including the isight is better than including a modem. if you still have only dial up, or unreliable broadband that would need you to use a modem every now and then, perhaps the latest snazziest imac g5 is not really for you \

I think that's a rather brash statement.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    Originally posted by Placebo

I think that's a rather brash statement.

fair enough, but in my experience trying to encourage people to go mac for the past few years, and i'm confident i'm not alone in this, some people are just not "ready" for it. the new iMac g5 is a really quite a spectacular all-in-one-package and i think its value and utility and enjoyability would be severely compromised without reliable broadband to go with it. for specific things that people would want to do with it, fair enough, and the external modem is an option. but considering system updates, .mac and other web services, video ichat, itunes music and itunes video store, dial-up just won't cut it for that sort of experience.

for users primarily on dial-up, a mac mini would be much more appropriate in my opinion...