Apple introduces iMac with built-in iSight

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

for users primarily on dial-up, a mac mini would be much more appropriate in my opinion...

I'm not so sure. Broadband is necessary for all computers these days for the reasons you gave. Obviously iSight would not work without broadband. However, there a plenty of people who just want a computer to edit and print digital photos and occasionally visit the internet. The iMac is much more suited for this type of person as it does not require any setting up monitors etc. It's also a very fast computer.
  • Reply 102 of 138
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Mad fun. I want one now. But i probably wont get one, need a portable mac moe than anything.

Its a pity Front Row cat control an inbuilt HDTV tuner.

And most windows PC's dont come with modems anymore - if u have that kind of internut, then get a USB modem. Apple even sells one for those that bothered to look.
  • Reply 103 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Apple even sells one for those that bothered to look.

We were discussing whether it is time for Apple to not include the modem - of course we are aware there is an optional USB modem for £35/$49. I personally think it's ok not to include a modem - the majority don't need one so shouldn't have to pay more.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    we all seem to be split into two distinct camps on this modem deal: the f*K-the-modem camp and the whats-up-with-the-no-modem camp. hmmm
  • Reply 105 of 138
    Quote:

we all seem to be split into two distinct camps on this modem deal: the f*K-the-modem camp and the whats-up-with-the-no-modem camp. hmmm

BUT - you have to admit the majority no longer use modems and therefore as it's a fading technology there is less reason to include it - if I had to remove one thing on the iMac I would remove the modem before anything else, including ethernet and the iSight.
  • Reply 106 of 138
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

BUT - you have to admit the majority no longer use modems and therefore as it's a fading technology there is less reason to include it - if I had to remove one thing on the iMac I would remove the modem before anything else, including ethernet and the iSight.

I would rather not have it and get another USB port.

Of course, I do fax sometimes but I would gladly purchase a USB modem for that.

1st gen iMac owner drueling over new iMac's...
  • Reply 107 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I would rather not have it and get another USB port.

Of course, I do fax sometimes but I would gladly purchase a USB modem for that.

1st gen iMac owner drueling over new iMac's...

definitely! - or FireWire 800? or DVI out for external monitors
  • Reply 108 of 138
    Is anyone else annoyed that frontrow and the remote are built in. I bought my imac 4 months ago (and I love it), but I have been praying to the computer Gods for an itunes remote, and when it comes I can't get one. I sacrificed all the virgins I could find lol.

Please give me an adapter of some kind PLEASE.
  • Reply 109 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by samiam

Is anyone else annoyed that frontrow and the remote are built in.

Well sure people are, but that will always happen. Products are ALWAYS being updated and therefore you will always be wanting the newer, better one. You'll never have the best for long and will usually wish you had waited for the new product. But, if you do wait, you will always be waiting 'cause there are always better products coming that will make your product look worse.
  • Reply 110 of 138
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by samiam

Is anyone else annoyed that frontrow and the remote are built in. I bought my imac 4 months ago (and I love it), but I have been praying to the computer Gods for an itunes remote, and when it comes I can't get one. I sacrificed all the virgins I could find lol.

Please give me an adapter of some kind PLEASE.

I have a PowerMac G5, and wouldn't mind having frontrow and one of those remotes via an adapter. I think if we wait a while, Apple might make that happen for us...

- JonYo
  • Reply 111 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

exactly. i was practising some diplomacy. as you can see from my posts above, i'm with the good-riddance-to-the-modem camp

although i am of the opinion that if one does get the brand spanking new imac g5, they really should get broadband if they don't have it already.
  • Reply 112 of 138
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman ...now, if only they can pull off ONE whole year of production without stupid capacitor and midplane f*ups (not apple's fault in a sense i suppose)[/B]

Apple takes your money. If it breaks, it's their fault.
  • Reply 113 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Apple takes your money. If it breaks, it's their fault.

i suppose i should clarify that yes, if it breaks, of course its apple's responsibility to fix it for you. but the dodgy capacitors was the subcontractors' "fault". well, maybe apple's fault (edit: as well) for choosing said dodgy subcontractor \
  • Reply 114 of 138
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Apple is all about the experience right out of the box. So many things really rely on broadband. Downloading from the ITMS, software updates, etc. They don't disallow dial up but come on, if you really feel the need to have a new machine then you would figure broadband is in play. If you are the type that still has dial up, you are probably the type that is still using an older machine, maybe OS 9 or probably something less than Tiger and are quite happy with everything.

I'm not so sure I like isight built in. Yeah, less cords would be nice. But not having the flexibility to aim or set up the isight to me is a limitation. Also, a lot of people have found that iGlasses really improves the iSight experience. How would this now be used?

On a side note, if they were able to squeeze isight into the case like this, why is the regular iSight so dang big?

We have a 20 inch iMac and love it. These new ones are even better and more droolworthy. These should sell really well and put the screws to the PC competition for features and price. Nice job Apple.
  • Reply 115 of 138
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Apple is all about the experience right out of the box. So many things really rely on broadband. Downloading from the ITMS, software updates, etc. They don't disallow dial up but come on, if you really feel the need to have a new machine then you would figure broadband is in play. If you are the type that still has dial up, you are probably the type that is still using an older machine, maybe OS 9 or probably something less than Tiger and are quite happy with everything.

I'm not so sure I like isight built in. Yeah, less cords would be nice. But not having the flexibility to aim or set up the isight to me is a limitation. Also, a lot of people have found that iGlasses really improves the iSight experience. How would this now be used?

On a side note, if they were able to squeeze isight into the case like this, why is the regular iSight so dang big?

We have a 20 inch iMac and love it. These new ones are even better and more droolworthy. These should sell really well and put the screws to the PC competition for features and price. Nice job Apple.

I think the isight's lens and CCD at the end of the lens would fit into the thickness of the new imac pretty easily. I think it's the other circuitry normally behind the CCD in the regular off-the-shelf isight, including the stuff that provides the isight's firewire connectivity, is now either (A) positioned differently, or maybe (B) no longer needed. I don't know if the built in isight uses an internal FW bus to go to the main board, or if it's some other type of connection, since it no longer has to be compatible with external types of ports. Nonetheless, only the lens and CCD of the built in isight need to be inline with each other and fit within the thickness of the new imac, anything else could be positioned differently or placed elsewhere in the case.

- JonYo
  • Reply 116 of 138
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

i suppose i should clarify that yes, if it breaks, of course its apple's responsibility to fix it for you. but the dodgy capacitors was the subcontractors' "fault". well, maybe apple's fault (edit: as well) for choosing said dodgy subcontractor \

IBM and Dell both had very large capacitor issues so it is hardly an apple only thing.
  • Reply 117 of 138
    well, HP is recalling over 100,000 battery packs:

Hewlett-Packard on Friday recalled 135,000 battery packs sold with its notebook computers shipped globally from March 2004 to May 2005.

http://cnet.com.au/mobilecomputing/n...0057581,00.htm
  • Reply 118 of 138
    pixpix Posts: 4member
    I do not agree with this 'everyone should have broadband' statement. I know people who only use the internet for sending emails and faxes. There is no reason why everyone should be forced into a broadband subscription they don't need when dial-up at a per minute tariff will be cheaper for them.

I do think Apple was right to remove the modem though, the purpose of a default configuration of a computer is to serve the majority and the majority of iMac customers will be using either a USB ADSL modem, ethernet or Airport for a broadband connection. I think making the 56k modem an optional extra is for the best. It is a little expensive though, I have to admit that.

On the balance of things I think more people will be pleased it comes with 802.11g and bluetooth as default than those who will begrudge £35 for a USB modem.
  • Reply 119 of 138
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pix

I do not agree with this 'everyone should have broadband' statement. I know people who only use the internet for sending emails and faxes. There is no reason why everyone should be forced into a broadband subscription they don't need when dial-up at a per minute tariff will be cheaper for them.

I could not agree more. There are many users that need a modem. Not only for internet, but for fax too. And I have never seen a statistics showing that "Most people don't need one", to quote MacCrazy's own statement. Even in the US, I hear that there are many regions where broadband services are problematic or non-existent.

Quote:

I think making the 56k modem an optional extra is for the best. It is a little expensive though, I have to admit that.

Too much expensive for my taste, I would add. It certainly should not be at 55 Euros that it is now. It is evident that Apple treats it like the memory modules on sell in the online store.
  • Reply 120 of 138
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I could not agree more. There are many users that need a modem. Not only for internet, but for fax too. And I have never seen a statistics showing that "Most people don't need one", to quote MacCrazy's own statement. Even in the US, I hear that there are many regions where broadband services are problematic or non-existent.

Too much expensive for my taste, I would add. It certainly should not be at 55 Euros that it is now. It is evident that Apple treats it like the memory modules on sell in the online store.

I concur. I know quite a lot of people (PC and Mac users) who still use dial-up and are not considering moving to broadband in the near future. There is also a problem with some broadband suppliers in that they will not support Mac OS X on their basic (and cheaper) packages. Mac users have to stump up for a full speed, full price broadband subscription and this alone is putting a lot of people off upgrading from dial-up.

PB, I agree that ?55/£35 is still a lot of money for an 'old' technology even if it is packaged nicely with an Apple logo on.

Maybe Apple will cut the price on their modem add-on in the near future, though I wouldn't hold my breath.