Apple schedules special event for Oct. 19

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

When properly calibrating a Cinema Display, the overall brightness has to be brought down dramatically.

So why is an increased brightness value on new displays such a big deal?

My 23" Cinema Display and full brightness is WAY too bright as it is.

Because people don't want to be bounded. If you have your computer in a room that occassionally gets direct sunlight, you want to be able to crank it up.

Further, brightness degrades with time. My 12" PB was so bright when I got it that I never ran it higher than 50%. Now, a year later, full brightness is about right. I'm sure in a year I'll bemoan how dim the display seems.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Because people don't want to be bounded. If you have your computer in a room that occassionally gets direct sunlight, you want to be able to crank it up.

Further, brightness degrades with time. My 12" PB was so bright when I got it that I never ran it higher than 50%. Now, a year later, full brightness is about right. I'm sure in a year I'll bemoan how dim the display seems.

Yeah, what you said and the fact that lots of people have iMacs in bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens (not calibrated office spaces) that can have lots of glare. As cool as the new iMacs are, we're still talking consumers.

I can not see how you could ever put an iSight camera on a PowerBook bezel and not give Ive's a rash, but if he could design a great integration, he would add to his legend.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Yeah, what you said and the fact that lots of people have iMacs in bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens (not calibrated office spaces) that can have lots of glare. As cool as the new iMacs are, we're still talking consumers.

I can not see how you could ever put an iSight camera on a PowerBook bezel and not give Ive's a rash, but if he could design a great integration, he would add to his legend.

With this:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6605

I think this will be a major update not a speed bump. Steve needs to get those of us sitting on the fence to keep buying. They can't afford to stall Mac sales for a year. Even if they don't manage a G5 PB, they will add toys and features.

Corey
  • Reply 104 of 112
    Toys unfortunately are a stopgap and don't really address the professional buyer market, not satisfactorily, and not competitively.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    Quote:

Didn't Sony put it in the hinge? Or is that a phone design I'm thinking of?
  • Reply 106 of 112
    Quote:

[B]I think along with hardware upgrades, the only thing Apple will announce in regard to Adobe, would be a partnership of something that Adobe can show off at their booth the next day. Does Apple have a booth at PhotoWhatever?

Nope.

The press gathering may be totally unrelated to that trade show.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Didn't Sony put it in the hinge? Or is that a phone design I'm thinking of?

I believe that Apple filed for a design that had a cam on the latch.

Although your question re Sony makes me wonder. After bringing the Sony CEO on stage they never did release anything together did they?

It would be interesting if Sony is making Blue-Ray's on the sly and Apple agreed to sell them.

Corey

• Reply 108 of 112
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Check out the "R" section of the exibitor list.

See "Reserved". Booth 338.

Check out the floor map.

Big size booth.

But anyways........
  • Reply 109 of 112
    The company Reserve, with adress 1 INFINITE LOOP,CUPERTINO, CA 95014. What can it be?

Nice catch
  • Reply 110 of 112
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Check out the "R" section of the exibitor list.

See "Reserved". Booth 338.

Check out the floor map.

Big size booth.

But anyways........

Well now, that's interesting.

I don't know if you people know this but professional photography has totally changed in the past couple of years. You are more likely to see a G5 and a Cinema Display in a pro studio than any trace of film. I wonder if Apple are moving to 'formalize' the workflow around Macs and maybe a couple of strategic pieces of software? iPhoto Pro - for the remote control of cameras via FW/USB and the ingest and realtime (CoreGraphics) tweaking of RAW photo data?

A calibration do-dad for Cinema Displays?

Good stuff.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Well now, that's interesting.

I don't know if you people know this but professional photography has totally changed in the past couple of years. You are more likely to see a G5 and a Cinema Display in a pro studio than any trace of film. I wonder if Apple are moving to 'formalize' the workflow around Macs and maybe a couple of strategic pieces of software? iPhoto Pro - for the remote control of cameras via FW/USB and the ingest and realtime (CoreGraphics) tweaking of RAW photo data?

A calibration do-dad for Cinema Displays?

Good stuff.

You are so right. We are getting out 4 yr daughter into modeling and at two separate photographer studios I've seen two separate mac set ups. Plug and play with iPhoto, etc. Photographers are going digital and going to or sticking with Apple.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

You are so right. We are getting out 4 yr daughter into modeling and at two separate photographer studios I've seen two separate mac set ups. Plug and play with iPhoto, etc. Photographers are going digital and going to or sticking with Apple.

I have to admit the depressing fact that my 9 year old niece is earning more than me at the moment from her modeling, God bless her. I am now in the position of acting as her 'advisor' on guitars as she is determined to get one for Christmas. Hey, got to follow the money right?