PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006

Comments

• Reply 21 of 238
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    NO 12"???! This is ludicrous.

The whole reason for using Intel chips is to make smaller laptops, so WTF? My 12" has become indispensible because of its size, but an even thinner 12" would be perfect - because of the weight involved. There are plenty of small Inel laptops that can fit the bill currently for my size needs - but they aren't Macs. And it sounds like if I want a small laptop, I'm going to have to settle for small speed, on an iBook level.

Apple's gotta stop focusing on fluff, and take care of what its customers really need on the computing end. Going to Intel might be addressing some of this, but not at the expense of a true enhancements to its laptop lines.
  • Reply 22 of 238
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

NO 12"???! This is ludicrous.

The whole reason for using Intel chips is to make smaller laptops, so WTF? My 12" has become indispensible because of its size, but an even thinner 12" would be perfect - because of the weight involved. There are plenty of small Inel laptops that can fit the bill currently for my size needs - but they aren't Macs. And it sounds like if I want a small laptop, I'm going to have to settle for small speed, on an iBook level.

I don't see that it will necessarily change things, if they switch to a 13" rather than drop the smallest model. A widescreen 13" probably has about as much screen area as a 4:3 12", the screen is wider but probably loses as much in height as well.

It's also a good idea to keep in mind that this is a rumor.
  • Reply 23 of 238
    I guess a 13" ibook 25% thinner than a 12" iBook cased in lighter material and with thinner bezel should be ok ? A sort of 12" PB size iBook but with mich more resolution...
  • Reply 24 of 238
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Come on -- The camera built into the powerbook makes no logical sence, -- it is too deep for the lid, and that would make a huge bezle on the display too -- something the PBs are famous for NOT having. the mongerer of this rumor should lay off the weed
  • Reply 25 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Come on -- The camera built into the powerbook makes no logical sence, -- it is too deep for the lid, and that would make a huge bezle on the display too -- something the PBs are famous for NOT having. the mongerer of this rumor should lay off the weed

why doesn't it make sense? they can fit optics in a cellphone, there's no reason they couldn't put an isight into a powerbook. the optics wouldn't be as good as a full-sized one, but it could work.
  • Reply 26 of 238
    Quote:

so i guess you haven't seen the patents apple has already filed then? idiot. i'd dig around here and link you to them, but i really would rather not bother for such a ridiculous comment.
  • Reply 27 of 238
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

why doesn't it make sense? they can fit optics in a cellphone, there's no reason they couldn't put an isight into a powerbook. the optics wouldn't be as good as a full-sized one, but it could work.

i agree. button cams are pretty evolved at this point. the bezel size is a good point, but there may be clever ways around that. eg: a small cam unit that stows in the laptop base, and plugs into a socket at the top of the display.

regardless of how it might be done, my guess is that there are a handful of apple engineers pondering the best solution. first video chat, now frontrow, next is? clearly something pro users will want down the road.
  • Reply 28 of 238
    Quote:

I don't have a clue, really. But if the camera was mounted horizontally and rotated out from the screen (i. e. at the top-center), it might fit into the cover? What's the smallest optics available now (you know L by W by D) of the CCD's plus lense? Some of those spy cameras are fairly small. Or perhaps the lense protrudes into the corresponding body?

• Reply 29 of 238
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I am not surprised that Apple will be introducing machines early. If OS X and

Apple's apps are already ready converted, why not early rather than later? I know third party apps may take a while but it is not like trying to build a PPC computer. There are so many Intel machines and boxes out there, it really shouldn't take long to make one. It is not like Apple has to do as much design work. I assume it is going to use a lot of Intel chips.
  • Reply 30 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think it's 'bout time for Apple to develop a

19" Powerbook for Power Users.

Samsung makes a 19" widescreen. Toss in LED backlighting and a very thin but strong bezel and you have a kick arse desktop replacement

Why not a 30" notebook? Might as well go all out. Sure it would be heavy to lug around, but it will be the biggest notebook ever!
  • Reply 31 of 238
    As far as a "built in iSight", or whatever you want to call it, I can see it being done. My cell phone has a built in camera, and it's absolutely tiny, but still manages to produce photos at 1280x1024. Sure they're not great quality, but they are "good enough" for the purpose.

I still think it would be tacky in a Pro notebook, but technically I don't see why it would not be possible.
  • Reply 32 of 238
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That camera-latch patent looks very awkward. (Though I realize it's only a diagram, and Apple has great designers.)

I'd rather see them hide the iSight barrel sideways inside the top frame, with a mirror that reflects the view out towards you. Some digital still cams do something like that I think.
  • Reply 33 of 238
    Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.
  • Reply 34 of 238
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I will get me a 13" wide screen notebook, as long as the height is cut down. Anything deeper than this 12" and it is too big for me.

I think I have conlcuded that us 12" fans are travel freaks.
  • Reply 35 of 238
    I think integrating cameras into computers like laptops and the iMac is a good decision as it makes people start to use video chatting more. It evolves and becomes more mainstream. The iMac and laptops have a microphone, but nobody complains.

It's just computers evolving.
  • Reply 36 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I'm really not a road warrior, but the 12" is great just to shuttle around the house with ease. Even if you don't go far, it's great to have this kind of power and elegance in such a small form factor.

For us guys with huge hands, the full keyboard is icing.
  • Reply 37 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I don't see that it will necessarily change things, if they switch to a 13" rather than drop the smallest model. A widescreen 13" probably has about as much screen area as a 4:3 12", the screen is wider but probably loses as much in height as well.

It's also a good idea to keep in mind that this is a rumor.

But, if the rumor is true - a 13" will be in the (crippled) iBook form factor. I want the power and vid out advantage, for example. The whole reason 12 PBs sold so well is that they offered quite a bit of power in a small form factor over the iBooks. OK, that is until they released the current 12" iBooks which is are fast as the 12" PB that have not been seriously updated in 18 months.
  • Reply 38 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.

Come on! Who's gonna be able to hack into a mac and spy on corporate secrets? It's very unlikely this would be possible. And even if it were. There's not that much you can see with a camera in that position. They'll just see a guy in his cubicle and an office. The confidentiality risks are NULL.

I don't want to lose the camera in my laptop because of some company with an irrational fear.
  • Reply 39 of 238
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Come on! Who's gonna be able to hack into a mac and spy on corporate secrets? It's very unlikely this would be possible. And even if it were. There's not that much you can see with a camera in that position. They'll just see a guy in his cubicle and an office. The confidentiality risks are NULL.

I don't want to lose the camera in my laptop because of some company with an irrational fear.

Cell phone camera's are not allowed in a lot of work places. He does raise a good point. There is no way that is going to fly in corporate America where strategy meetings are held in rooms with no windows so the competition can't see through a window at what is on their white board. If you think this is far fetched, I can garuntee you that it isn't.
  • Reply 40 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I will get me a 13" wide screen notebook, as long as the height is cut down. Anything deeper than this 12" and it is too big for me.

Well, not quite. I commute 2 hours each way to my job (by train) and use my PB to give lectures in PowerPoint or analyze molecular data in the lab. The small form factor is saving wear and tear on my back compared to my 15" TiBook. Plus, I can often work on the train more easily with a smaller laptop if I'm lucky to get a seat.

But I want a full featured small laptop, not an iBook. The only thing keeping me from purchasing a small Panasonic or Sony laptop is the OS. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way... Apple needs to open its eyes here.