PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006

Comments

• Reply 81 of 238
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Bad link there

Apple will need better performance

Quote:

No, no, I'm totally aware that there are built-in cameras out there, but I wonder about the quality.

Oh my bad. I'm totally feeling you on that. Doesn't seem like we'll get exemplarary quality but I guess it it's not that expensive to add let'em add it. The more video conferencing stuff out there the more software options we'll have. I'm thinking we're going to start seeing these added to standard desktop monitors as well.

I'd say I'm most excited about having some of the nifty wireless LAN options, light size new screens and hopefully a dock/replicator. Apple will surely toss in some other stuff as well.
  • Reply 82 of 238
    iSights look even tackier than built in camera's

someone is using one somewhere on the Episode III bonus DVD and its not really impressive at all...

building it in is far more elegant and further opens up iChat AV
  • Reply 83 of 238
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

I'm skeptical that Apple will have PowerBooks out even before iBooks. It does make sense given that just about any Pentium M chip would make the iBook faster than the PowerBook; even so, I don't know if Apple would really want to push things out the door so soon. I'd think Intel iBooks in April/May followed by PowerBooks in June/July, when in theory Apple could have Merom cores (generally more efficient than Yonah).

I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems as though Apple has a problem here.

If they come out with the iBooks first, as had been assumed, they they would be more powerful than the PB's.

This won't do!

If they come out with the PB's first, it solves that horrendus problem, but if the proper pro software isn't moved over yet, there will still be some performance problems, with the risk that some programs won't run at all.

It seems to me that the 15" and 17" MUST be introduced at the same time for the same reasons. Who is going to buy a now much slower and obsolete 17", when the new 15" is out. Ouch!

The same problem with the Mini and any possible replacement for the eMac. If Apple wants to equip them with new cpu's they have to be careful to not out power the iMac line while at the same time not be seen as deliberately underpowering them.
  • Reply 84 of 238
    That Asus product is hideous... but if Apple could make it look like the patent drawings, then everything will be fine
  • Reply 85 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Come on -- The camera built into the powerbook makes no logical sence, -- it is too deep for the lid, and that would make a huge bezle on the display too -- something the PBs are famous for NOT having. the mongerer of this rumor should lay off the weed

I keep saying the same thing, but engineering logic seems to have nothing to do with these rumors.

They predicted the cameras for the models that just came out as well.

They aren't really talking to anyone about these things. They're just guessing. Since they aren't engineers themselves, they don't understand the problems involved.
  • Reply 86 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

so i guess you haven't seen the patents apple has already filed then? idiot. i'd dig around here and link you to them, but i really would rather not bother for such a ridiculous comment.

Why are you calling him an idiot? It doesn't matter what patents Apple has filed. If I had a buck for every patent that Apple filed but didn't use, I would own this site with just that money.

Just remember that Thinksecret and Appleinsider are wrong far more often than they are right.

And why don't you pull those patents? I'm sure most of us would love to see them again.
  • Reply 87 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wrong. The Sony Vaio BX series has a webcam option that fits righ into the top of the LCD frame. Apple won't be the first here to integrate webcams into a laptop.

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...ooks/bx-series

I hope Apple is smart enough to put a dock/port replicator into these new books. And how about a Dock that can run dual monitors as well. That'll get the attention of plenty of PC users.

Sony doesn't have a good picture there, so it's hard to make out where it is exactly and such, but it does look rather crummy.

Sony also seems to have moved the latch off center. This isn't the best idea.

Sony's instructions to tilt the screen to get the best picture of a conference also seems to be silly. You have the computer pointed to one side of the table so that everyone has to move to that side instead of facing each other. And, of course, you can't actually USE the computer while all this is going on.

If a conference should be recorded, it would be done better with a $300 mini Dv, and a $25 tripod. These can be located so that everyone is in view.

These cameras are really just meant for teleconferencing with the one user. That seems pretty limited a use for a laptop at this time.
  • Reply 88 of 238
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    A dual-core Powerbook that can run OS X and windows at full speed would

be a dream machine. I only hope that if I use it to surf the web in windows, it doesn't somehow get a virus (or spyware) into the MAC OS part of it.
  • Reply 89 of 238
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I've just had a premonition about the next Powerbooks. Apple will be the first company to have a height adjustable laptop screen. It will be able to raise height up to 3" and swivel left to right. Plust you'll have a little front to back action as well. This will ease any problems with webcams and overall screen viewing.
  • Reply 90 of 238
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Haven't you heard? The Mac Mini is going to be killed.

Where have you heard this? Why would Apple kill it? I thought they killed eMac in favor of mini for the low-cost and education markets. To kill both would be foolish.

Regarding other people's comments about the image quality of a built-in camera, I doubt it will be spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. It is simply an inexpensive means to conduct a video meeting. It shouldn't be considered a substitute for a regular camcorder or still camera.
  • Reply 91 of 238
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    You can bet your bippy that the 12-inch PowerBook is dead. The Mac mini, on the other hand, will still be around. I think the mini was made with Intel processors in mind. If you will recall, Intel announced something very very similar after the mini launched. Coincidence?

As far as the rumored 15-inch PB is concerned.... I think it will have everything everyone has been clamouring for. Most all of it will be possible thanks to Intel. This includes a much better and much brighter display, better graphics card, built-in card reader, better airport, better battery life, better everything.

I bet you that Apple is finalizing or close to finalizing the release of one Intel product, even if it doesn't happen to be the PowerBook.

I think by the time January rolls around, Apple will have ported most or all of its apps into Universal Binaries, including Final Cut Pro (5.1?), Motion, Aperature, and iLife. They will bring onstage other companies of popular apps that will have Intel native versions available that will simply require just a software update.

These are exiciting times. I can't wait until it gets all underway.
  • Reply 92 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Where have you heard this? Why would Apple kill it? I thought they killed eMac in favor of mini for the low-cost and education markets. To kill both would be foolish.

Regarding other people's comments about the image quality of a built-in camera, I doubt it will be spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. It is simply an inexpensive means to conduct a video meeting. It shouldn't be considered a substitute for a regular camcorder or still camera.

Jeff, I really can't see why anyone would want to record a meeting with something like this. What would be the point?

If someone really wanted to record the meeting with their computer, wasting its resources that way, it would be better to simply plug an isight in, and put it somewhere where it will be properly positioned. That way you could also use the computer while you are recording.

I you're NOT going to use the computer, then it's better to use the miniDv as I mentioned.
  • Reply 93 of 238
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about this--OLED display, flash based 32g "hard drive" with a 1" 30-40GIG perpendicular HD, backup the screen and "flash" would save enough energy to give it industry leading battery life--wouldn't this array approach 6-8 hours?? and be thin and very light.
  • Reply 94 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

how about this--OLED display, flash based 32g "hard drive" with a 1" 30-40GIG perpendicular HD, backup the screen and "flash" would save enough energy to give it industry leading battery life--wouldn't this array approach 6-8 hours?? and be thin and very light.

Thin, light and expensive.

Would you plan on picking one up at a likely projected price of $8,000?
  • Reply 95 of 238
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

You could have tried to say that a little nicer couldn't you? Disagree if you wish, but try some manners.

You quoted an agreeable, well-mannered comment from imiloa.
  • Reply 96 of 238
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

You can bet your bippy that the 12-inch PowerBook is dead.

Well, at least that's the lesson from the last powerbook update for me. The iBooks (in summer) and the big Powerbooks got something extra, only the 12" Powerbook remained unchanged. Even the 12" iBook with its 512 MB RAM in one slot is more appealing.
  • Reply 97 of 238
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Jeff, I really can't see why anyone would want to record a meeting with something like this. What would be the point?

I really didn't think it was that hard to find reasons. Notes, dictations, evesdropping, blackmail and so on. People are often less reserved when they don't think they are being recorded, they might say things they would later regret if something were recorded. In "secure" situations, discussions of secrets might take place that some people want to hear, and others don't want to leak. I can think of two pretty major political scandals have come about because of information recorded onto some sort of audio device or were supported by such evidence.
  • Reply 98 of 238
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    would you suspect that the new pb have 802.11 e????
  • Reply 99 of 238
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

I hope laptops dont go this direction...I CANNOT get a good, hi-end (color screen, bluetooth, SMS, wireless web) phone without a camera from Verizon, Cingular or Sprint...the last thing I need is to not be able to get a laptop without a camera in it! If I want/need a camera, I WILL BUY ONE!

The iMac cam makes perfect sence, but on a professional laptop? hell no!

Did you ever use the PC-Card slot in your Powerbook?

And was it really so unbearable to have something build into your Powerbook that you have never used but nevertheless payed for?
  • Reply 100 of 238
    Quote:

The iSight has a good ccd, and good optics. The CCD thing is likely workable, but the optics would likely sacrifice a ton...the 2-inch thick iMac leaves a lot of space that a ~1/4 inch lid does not, and as for it being mounted in the base, I sayt no for 2 reasons

1: bad angle/lighting

2: same as before, te space is already occupied (unless you could sacrifice a FW port or maybe the PCIMCA slot on the 15/17 inch models)

Also, the power books are a PRO unit, most pros alreay have a camera that has far better optics that could be used as a web cam...so I ask again, WHY DO THIS?

It is like the proverbial answer without a question

i understand. but i travel quite a bit with my powerbook and having to carry a whole isight camera and cables is sort of a pain in the ass. if it was built it it would be more convenient, even if the quality were slightly worse. do i NEED to bring it with me when i travel? no, but it's nice to have. i don't need a built in camera but i wouldn't complain if my next powerbook had one.