PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006

Comments

• Reply 41 of 238
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    So I maybe by the end of '06 the lineup will look something like this...

Single-core Yonah for the 13" iBook -> 05/2006

Single-core Yonah for the 15" iBook -> 05/2006

Single-core Yonah for the 13" PowerBook -> 03/2006

Dual-core Yonah for the 15" PowerBook -> 03/2006

Dual-core Merom for the 17" PowerBook. -> 09/2006

I still think the Mac mini will be the first to go Intel in January though.
  • Reply 42 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Haven't you heard? The Mac Mini is going to be killed.
  • Reply 43 of 238
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

So I maybe by the end of '06 the lineup will look something like this...

According to the article it may simply be:

- Dual-core Yonah for the 15" PowerBook -> jan-feb/2006

maybe along with a single-core Yonah Mac mini (I agree with you)

- Single-core Yonah for the 13" iBook -> apr-may/2006

- Dual-core Merom for the 17" PowerBook. -> sept/2006

I'm fine with the integrated iSight and all the widescreen sizes.

Single-cores in iBook and mini are OK, but I'd rather see slower-speed dual-cores...

maybe for the end of 2006!
  • Reply 44 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.

What about people hacking in and watching whats happeing on the screen or acessing your data, could be done in theory to any computer with internet accsess
  • Reply 45 of 238
    AGREED... NO CAMERA IN THE PRO RANKS!

Plus like a_greer said it needs more room in depth to house a cam.

Ok... The 12 incher goes and the iBook grows so BRING ON THE SUB NOTEBOOK!

That's fine with me. This and a COOL (do it right) Apple branded phone with lots of room for video and music, will knock the pants off the consumer markets. The sub-notebook will be the ultimate portable music/video player and basic laptop. Keep the cost under $700 please. Keep the shuffle, nano and the video pod (at reduced pricing of course) and we got some serious growth potential in the consumer lines! Evolve the mac mini into the HTMAC and push on with the iMac!

The pro division will be secondary to exploding in the consumer markets and come at a later time in the year showcasing the really GOOD stuff!

Oh yeah... IMHO
  • Reply 46 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

i agree. button cams are pretty evolved at this point. the bezel size is a good point, but there may be clever ways around that. eg: a small cam unit that stows in the laptop base, and plugs into a socket at the top of the display.

regardless of how it might be done, my guess is that there are a handful of apple engineers pondering the best solution. first video chat, now frontrow, next is? clearly something pro users will want down the road.

You could have tried to say that a little nicer couldn't you? Disagree if you wish, but try some manners.
  • Reply 47 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

That camera-latch patent looks very awkward. (Though I realize it's only a diagram, and Apple has great designers.)

I'd rather see them hide the iSight barrel sideways inside the top frame, with a mirror that reflects the view out towards you. Some digital still cams do something like that I think.

Just because Apple patented the thing doesn't mean they'll use it. I applaud Apple's attempt at spreading the use of video chat. They have a great thing going and they should use it. That said, if this becomes a reason to switch to macs then PC's will jump on the bandwagon. That is when Apple's patent gives them protection, even if they use a mre elagant solution as you described.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 48 of 238
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Haven't you heard? The Mac Mini is going to be killed.

No it isn't. The Mac Mini is certainly not the best selling Mac, but it does ok. More Mac Minis are sold than Powermacs. Furthermore, there is a lot more they can do with the Mac Mini. They won't drop it.
  • Reply 49 of 238
    Quote:

Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.

Perhaps an option for the administrator of the computer to be able to turn of the functionality of the camera would solve the problem with a mouse click?
  • Reply 50 of 238
    666666 Posts: 134member
    geez, never thought so many tears would pour because of a little rumoured camera in a pbook!

I've got a pretty easy 5 step solution for this huuuge invasion of corporate privacy;

1. get paper

2. get sticky tape

3. put paper over camera

4. apply sticky tape

5. relax...
  • Reply 51 of 238
    Main differences between Yonah and Merom?
  • Reply 52 of 238
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Get a Mac Mini or better yet Power mac.
  • Reply 53 of 238
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    The camera is not a concern, seeing as though Apple is the most secretive, lawsuit, and NDA centric of any public company involving their own employees.

BTO -- No camera. (Add $300)

This would be used by the corporate customers, that are accustomed of paying more for a custom phone without camera.
  • Reply 54 of 238
    Quote:

Ditto. I'm a consultant and visit lots of different customer sites. Some of which are classified and require me to hand in my mobile phone at reception because it has a camera. I can usually get special dispensation to take my PB with me, but if it had a cam built in too, that would be the end of that.

Besides, I don't like the idea of a built in PB cam. At least with the current iSight you can choose where to mount it to get the best angle and best use of available light. If its built into the lid you've no chance. You'll be fiddling around with the lid angle to get your head in the picture. Yuck
  • Reply 55 of 238
    I vote for a new widescreen PowerBook with the same full size keyboard as the current 12", 15" and 17" models BUT it has a 16:9 or 16:10 screen.

The current 12" display is 9.68" in width. Now at 16:9 the diagonal size of the display would be 11.11" and at 16:10 the diagonal would be 11.42".

Take a look at the specs of Sony VAIO TX1XP and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...d=36&page=4436

Just beautiful!

Just putting it out there...

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 56 of 238
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Cell phone camera's are not allowed in a lot of work places. He does raise a good point. There is no way that is going to fly in corporate America where strategy meetings are held in rooms with no windows so the competition can't see through a window at what is on their white board. If you think this is far fetched, I can garuntee you that it isn't.

But build-in microphones are no problem?
  • Reply 57 of 238
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noirdesir

But build-in microphones are no problem?

Go figure! I never said corporate America was smart.
  • Reply 58 of 238
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple i'm sure has done it's homework as to wants and wishes for consumers and pro users. cameras isight must fill a need, very few windows laptops have them and it's not because of "corporate needs" they could make it an option. but what about this push in corp world in reducing costs for meetings, teleconferencing using the pb with isight MUST fill a requested pro need. consider the buzz when all this comes out, apple has to separate itself from the masses of laptops out there to convince the corp/ pro user to turn away from dell and ibm. so how does apple separate it's line from other intel products (not just with os x)

someone needs to make a predicted speed chart of the new configs with the present offerings--so how much faster...20% 50% 100% 200%?. also make a chart as to predicted battery life compared to present apple laptops. thin is cool but battery life and usability is key for many of us.

i'm looking to get a apple laptop to replace my dell8100 i use for only one program at work--so i can't wait for someone to figure out how i can use a pb and run a windows program natively. too bad apple doesn't move lot of it's apps to web based like google is trying to do.
  • Reply 59 of 238
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    I'm not too concerned about the 25% reduction in size, as cool as it may be. What would really sell me on a new 15" powerbook would be if it were also 25% lighter. I don't know if Apple could pull this off, but imagine a 15" notebook that weighs a mere 4.2 pounds. Lighter than the current 12".
  • Reply 60 of 238
    itsmeitsme Posts: 15member
    re: integrated iSight in IntelBooks... how about fibreoptics? The Cam itself can be located anywhere inside the case - only a part of the optical components has to be on top of the display.