Mac mini reborn at MacWorld?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My previous, um, realization that Apple may team with Dish Network is still intriguing to me. Dish Network could get a better DVR setup in an Apple device while consumers get content from the dish and on-demand from iTMS. All that would be handled in the one box.

The box would have the ability to watch programming from satellite, purchase video or music programming on demand from iTMS, convert DVR or on-demand programming to a format playable on iPod video, show photo slideshows, play movies from iMovie or iDVD, surf the Web, and on and on.

Dish Network would support the satellite service and get a cut from on-demand programming purchases. Apple would support iTMS, get a cut from on-demand purchases, make money off the box, and sell more iPods with video.

Sounds like a great plan to me! I'd be interested in one!
  • Reply 82 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Still no Kormac?!?!? If he's not dead he's working at Apple.

Check out the new ThinkSecret story.

Apple's New Media Experience

Soooo, they're gonna rename the Mac Mini, the i**** v.2?

lol, kormac.
  • Reply 83 of 116
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

My previous, um, realization that Apple may team with Dish Network is still intriguing to me. Dish Network could get a better DVR setup in an Apple device while consumers get content from the dish and on-demand from iTMS. All that would be handled in the one box.

The box would have the ability to watch programming from satellite, purchase video or music programming on demand from iTMS, convert DVR or on-demand programming to a format playable on iPod video, show photo slideshows, play movies from iMovie or iDVD, surf the Web, and on and on.

Dish Network would support the satellite service and get a cut from on-demand programming purchases. Apple would support iTMS, get a cut from on-demand purchases, make money off the box, and sell more iPods with video.

Sounds like a great plan to me! I'd be interested in one!

The dish network is the whole enchilada with that. You'd need to have a dish network to use it. If it was chameleon Apple DVR device like a tivo it could work with dish network, or a cable if that is what you have. If you want to DVR Pay-Per-View can you not do that now without having exclusivity through the dish network?
  • Reply 84 of 116
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

If you want to DVR Pay-Per-View can you not do that now without having exclusivity through the dish network?

I suppose, yes.

The Dish Network idea mainly sprung from the fact that Apple likes to know what's happening through the entire experience. That's why they teamed up with Cingular with the ROKR. Apple's not going to want to sell a DVR that can work with this satellite or that cable. They'll want something that they know works all the time and is, essentially, exclusive. Dish Network is a nationwide service that doesn't already have a DVR company (TiVo) attached to it's set-top boxes. It seems like a good fit for both companies.
  • Reply 85 of 116
    Just curious, how many here who have been lusting after a media center mac mini would NOT buy one if it ends up being DRM'ed the way Microsoft media centers are?

Personally, if I am not able to archive my shows like I've been able to do with my VCR, a device developed in the middle of the last century, I won't bite.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Just curious, how many here who have been lusting after a media center mac mini would NOT buy one if it ends up being DRM'ed the way Microsoft media centers are?

Personally, if I am not able to archive my shows like I've been able to do with my VCR, a device developed in the middle of the last century, I won't bite.

I don't know how MS does it, but Apple's iTunes videos can't be burned to DVD for playing, so that doesn't bode well for any DVR they might do. (Though I don't think they're going to do a DVR, so... )
  • Reply 87 of 116
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I've been giving this a lot of thought and have been talking with several people about this. Here's what I'm thinking. Some is based on what's known, some on conjecture, some wishful thinking.

The Mac part:

? Mac mini reborn as a media center that hooks up to your TV

? Works with new version of Front Row, revised Apple remote

? DVR standard (must have built-in tuner)

? May be based on Intel Viiv, not sure (who cares?)

? Real time H.264 decoding chip onboard

? These features may also be included in updated iMac

Video download service:

? Streaming video on demand

? Uses a virtual disk on Apple's servers, similar to iDisk

? No monthly service fees, .Mac subscription not needed

? Uses iTunes account

? Accessible from Front Row

? Purchased video like feature length movies not stored on user's HD

but can be transferred to video iPod (transferred from temp cache)

? Some movies could be released concurrent with theater release

? Apple won't make much from downloads

? Download service to help iPod and Mac sales

It might take a while to reach critical mass with this combo but Apple has a quadruple combo going for it: hardware, software, the service, and the iPod.

The baby boomer generation is retiring soon and would be a perfect target market. Analysts may be taking a wait and see attitude over this thing. Once they get an idea how the sales and downloads are going, expect estimates to creep up.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Soooo, they're gonna rename the Mac Mini, the i**** v.2?

lol, kormac.

No, i**** v.2 is the next iPod.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

? Mac mini reborn as a media center that hooks up to your TV

? Works with new version of Front Row, revised Apple remote

? DVR standard (must have built-in tuner)

yes, this would be awesome

Quote:

heh.

Quote:

? Real time H.264 decoding chip onboard

a MUST..!! realtime h.264 encoding would be the icing on the mac mini iHome cake...

Quote:

Video download service:

? Uses iTunes account

? Download service to help iPod and Mac sales.

looking good here. except there is NO WAY in hell movie studios would allow concurrent releases with theater... not at this stage. cinemas would be up in arms..! concurrent with DVD releases more likely for highdef!! or standard defff movies.,,
  • Reply 90 of 116
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Probably Apple given the amount of marketing money Intel is known to throw behind things.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

realtime h.264 encoding would be the icing on the mac mini iHome cake...

Hardware acceleration could cut encoding time by an order of magnitude, and free the CPU for general use in the meantime. I'm not sure how it matters if it's realtime or not. The big difference is if there is acceleration at all.
    Quote:

looking good here. except there is NO WAY in hell movie studios would allow concurrent releases with theater... not at this stage. cinemas would be up in arms..! concurrent with DVD releases more likely for highdef!! or standard defff movies.,,

They're not getting a major part of their income from cinemas anyway. Why not concurrent release some small-audience niche movies, and expand from that if it works out?
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

If they would allow me to archive the movies/shows at least on one computer (media center), I would buy it in a second (even rev. A). However possibly I have to buy it anyway, because I need now a computer with more punch then my PM G3 B/W, but don't want to spend more than what a mac mini costs now. \ And move it later to the living room for media center use.

copeland
  • Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:

Video download service:

? Uses iTunes account

? Download service to help iPod and Mac sales

Apple would have to maintain a large "content ownership" database, or even larger "content storage" area as well as a large amount of bandwidth with no income aside from the initial sale of the video. This does not sound like a good longterm buisness model to me. How are they going to continue paying for the storage, management, and bandwidth? Off future sales, kind of like "Social Security"... need I say more?

For me, I bought it I want it. I dont care about burning DVD's as long as I can back-up the content in some way and deliver it to any TV in my house and preferably have some parental controlls as well.
  • Reply 94 of 116
    More fuel for the fire...

From iPodLounge, Apple executives are saying:

?Unlike other resellers like bricks and mortar stores and service providers, Apple views content as strategic, choosing to break-even while leaving the majority of the profit to the content owners.?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ardware-sales/

Would would lend more credence to the possibility of DVR functionality.

We all know Apple would love to get millions of viewers "locked in" to an Apple iTV (or whatever)...but ultimately, they still view themselves as a hardware company. That will flavor what they do with their products and what features they have.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Apple would have to maintain a large "content ownership" database, or even larger "content storage" area as well as a large amount of bandwidth with no income aside from the initial sale of the video. This does not sound like a good longterm buisness model to me. How are they going to continue paying for the storage, management, and bandwidth? Off future sales, kind of like "Social Security"... need I say more?

For me, I bought it I want it. I dont care about burning DVD's as long as I can back-up the content in some way and deliver it to any TV in my house and preferably have some parental controlls as well.

Apple already maintains a content ownership db for iTunes as part of the user db. The video thing would work the same way. Buy a movie and an alias of the movie file is placed in your virtual disk for viewing.

As for parental controls, no problem. You have that now with iTunes. If you want to be able to watch a movie on any TV in your house, just buy more Mac STBs just as you would buy more DVD players or satellite receivers.

MOSR has a mention of a media coprocessor that would speed transcoding and encoding. That'd sure be nice.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    Quote:

Apple already maintains a content ownership db for iTunes as part of the user db. The video thing would work the same way. Buy a movie and an alias of the movie file is placed in your virtual disk for viewing.

As for parental controls, no problem. You have that now with iTunes. If you want to be able to watch a movie on any TV in your house, just buy more Mac STBs just as you would buy more DVD players or satellite receivers.

MOSR has a mention of a media coprocessor that would speed transcoding and encoding. That'd sure be nice.

And when your internet connection is down you are out of luck. Also when the bandwidth coming into your home or from the server you are hooked up to or Apple's servers are overloaded your download slows to a crawl, and your movie isn't there when you want it. It's less trouble for the consumer if it is stored on your home computer, and it is the consumer's experience in ease of use, imediacy, and choice of content that will make a content delivery service succeed, or fail.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

...except there is NO WAY in hell movie studios would allow concurrent releases with theater... not at this stage. cinemas would be up in arms..! concurrent with DVD releases more likely for highdef!! or standard def movies...

Most things I have seen lately point toward theatres making less and less money, hence the ever rising cost for tickets...

Latest rationalization for folks actually going to the theatre is the big-screen experience...

And with the onset of full HD, there is a shift in the film industry towards 4k frames...
  • Reply 98 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Most things I have seen lately point toward theatres making less and less money, hence the ever rising cost for tickets...

Latest rationalization for folks actually going to the theatre is the big-screen experience...

And with the onset of full HD, there is a shift in the film industry towards 4k frames...

so... on which points are you agreeing or disagreeing with me

so... anyway i think currently the movie industry is trying to give full value to a movie experience by delivering top digital quality (4k) at the cineplex and also slash the film printing and distribution costs. a rich experience at the cineplex would deter movie piracy on the street and bittorrenting. 4k digital delivery would be drm'ed up the wazoo so that it doesn't get loose (which it will anyway) ~ imagine beautiful 720p bittorrents off the 4k "studio print" !!

i just don't think the movie industry is ready to release simultaneous legal downloads as this would compete with the cineplex... ticket sales would have to be really bad before they do that. i think if apple scores the movie distribution deal it would be releasing 480p, 720p, 1080p downloads at the time the DVD hits the shelves, with pre-orders and so on done ala Steam (part or most of the movie is actually on your hard disk (encrypted and DRM'ed up the wazoo))

on the whole, i think the Steam model is closer to the iDisk thingy thinkSecret is talking about.... some of the content is PHYSICALLY on your hard disk, just that it will be extremely protected until you unlock it (a Tivo-esque model may apply as well : whereby it downloads shows it thinks you might like, you get to preview it, if you purchase it, the full thing is unlocked)

Steam is the tool of the devil but it is the model of digital distribution i think that would be most relevant to apple doing tv shows and movies. how this may affect iTMS, eventually, yes, but not immediately since iTMS is very successful as it is and apple and music labels might not want to f**k with it just yet...(although maybe macworld sf 2006 they might rejig iTMS with everythin else - one stop shop for video, movie, music....)
  • Reply 99 of 116
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Once you've watched TV through a DVR and reclaimed back %25 of your viewing time you won't want to watch TV without it.

Presicely. I do not watch TV at all. Zero percent of my time is spent on it. Its quite liberating.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I need a DVR. I'd like to gather all the programming I'm interested in watching and just watch it all on my day off, commercial free. That would not only save me a couple of commercial hours weekly, but I would have time to be 3/4 more productive in my life, and not worry about the productivity of the work in my life running my entire life. I would be much more dedicated to my work if I had my free time not divided up by nightly programing schedules. And it would give a lot more free time to do the things I want to do. Other than work, and sleep.

Do you need a DVR or just want one? Is that how you want to spend your day off? It sounds like the things you want to do is secondary to TV?

I too was once like you, eyes glazed over, bowing to the glowing god, dutifully watching the ads that burn into your brain like a hot iron... but no longer brothers and sisters - I have been freed, saved some might say, liberated from my oppressor!

well in all seriousness I hit some financial hard times and decided to cut out cable (we cannot get broadcast here) - so yeah no TV. I actually don't miss it and do have some more time to spend with the fam and get outside. its been good. now if i could just get rid of that dang internet.