Mac mini reborn at MacWorld?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

Presicely. I do not watch TV at all. Zero percent of my time is spent on it. Its quite liberating.

I know, I gained even more time when I stopped listening to music. Then I stopped reading books and newspapers. Finally, I saved a buttload of time when I stopped surfing the w....................
  • Reply 102 of 116
    Here is a nother totally crazy thought...but could jibe with some whacky rumors a long time ago about an Apple projector.

What about revised Mac mini that hooks up to a TV + Front Row 2 etc. Becoming Apple media center/DVR/whatever...and then..."one more things..."

Mac mini + projector

Projectors getting smaller all the time now. Mac mini is about the right form factor.

Just a totally whacky thought.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I know, I gained even more time when I stopped listening to music. Then I stopped reading books and newspapers. Finally, I saved a buttload of time when I stopped surfing the w....................

so actually i know you were being funny but I don't read the paper either (i read online - its cheaper and saves trees). as for music, you can do other things like work when listening to music - not like tv. books - well you can't compare it to tv - it is usually enlightening to read not the opposite.

cheers.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

Presicely. I do not watch TV at all. Zero percent of my time is spent on it. Its quite liberating.

I too was once like you, eyes glazed over, bowing to the glowing god, dutifully watching the ads that burn into your brain like a hot iron... but no longer brothers and sisters - I have been freed, saved some might say, liberated from my oppressor!

What, you don't have television?
  • Reply 105 of 116
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Here is a nother totally crazy thought...but could jibe with some whacky rumors a long time ago about an Apple projector.

What about revised Mac mini that hooks up to a TV + Front Row 2 etc. Becoming Apple media center/DVR/whatever...and then..."one more things..."

Mac mini + projector

Projectors getting smaller all the time now. Mac mini is about the right form factor.

Just a totally whacky thought.

An Apple projector? wasn't that one of kormac's crazy theories for the i****?

wouldn't that be something!

• Reply 106 of 116
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

heh. yeah a resurrection of the ol' "apple should make a projector"...

imho, apple making a projector of any sort is bollocks.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Truthfully it seems far fetched...but not completely crazy. Still, Apple has been known to surprise. Perhaps Apple has an inside line on some smaller, cheaper, great projector technology.

I could imagine the following video-related product ideas from Apple:

- iPod TV -- basically a streamlined Mac mini with Front Row, DVR, perhaps DVD player, TV in/out port(s), integrated iPod dock. I think Apple will do its very best to get the price down here. The base for Mac mini is currently $499. I would think Apple would like to try an get this down a $100. It might not be a "real" mac at all. Just based on the Mac mini hardware/software platform. Given that $399 might be doable. Making it that much more accessible. That is the price they started with for the iPod back in 2001.

- iPod projector -- basically a streamlined Mac mini with Front Row, integrated iPod dock and a projector built-in. The obvious problem here would be host. The cheapest one's out there now are like $700 and that's without a built-in computer...but who knows.

- Airport Express AV -- Airport Express with video out for streaming video from iTunes to your TV.

( NOTE: I use the brand name iPod here simply because I could imagine Apple leveraging the very well-known brand name to sell the product...I know the product purists will filet me for even suggesting it. )
  • Reply 108 of 116
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

What, you don't have television?

Haha. I thought of the same article when I read his post. TV can enlighten just as much as reading and reading can stupefy just as much as TV. I don't see why so many people have an issue with it.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's been, what, at least four years and kormac still has people on strings?!
  • Reply 110 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple should rebrand this

Mac media center

1. Utilize Solo and Duo Core Yonah's

2. Make it larger and use 3.5' SATA drives.

3. Add HDMI connections include HDMI-DVI adapter

4. Add a TV Tuner

What it needs is digital audio out. Without that, it still sucks as a media center.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smatanovic

What it needs is digital audio out. Without that, it still sucks as a media center.

Well Apple could toss in a toslkink spdif connector for legacy support but HDMI is in fact digi I/O for audio and video with much more bandwidth than spdif.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Well Apple could toss in a toslkink spdif connector for legacy support but HDMI is in fact digi I/O for audio and video with much more bandwidth than spdif.

Interesting. How many receivers have HDMI in? Not many, I would guess.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Panasonic SA-XR70 (us$300) offers 1 HDMI input,

Onkyo TX-SR803 (us$1000),

Denon AVR-3806 (us$1300),

JVC RX-D401S/D402B (us$500),

JVC RX-D702B (us$800),

Pioneer VSX-72TXVi (us$1200),

Yamaha RX-V1600 (us$1100)

The Yamaha RX-V2600 (us$1400)

for starters. There's more but I don't have the time to

search for'em all.

Next year should be a watershed year for HDMI with the delivery of 1.2 which supports RGB (computers) and SACD as well as other tweaks.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    Given the Appleinsider article about how pissed NBC is about TIVO letting people load stuff onto their iPods, this does not bode well for an Apple DVR.

It cracks me up that an NBC lawyer can say with a straight face that allowing people to do this is bad for consumers.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

It cracks me up that an NBC lawyer can say with a straight face that allowing people to do this is bad for consumers.

Is it time to break out the lawyer jokes...like:

How do you know when a lawyer is lying?

• Reply 116 of 116
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Is it time to break out the lawyer jokes...like:

How do you know when a lawyer is lying?

He's not asleep?

ba dum CHING!