Analyst updates Intel Mac predictions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I have two questions:

1 - Is there a USB 3.0 specification for faster data transfers?

Not that I know of, and a quick check on USB.org doesn't seem to suggest so either.

The main work is currently on merging UWB (UltraWideBand) with USB to Wireless USB, which just happens to have the same 480 MBit/s theoretical bandwidth. A competing effort plans to implement UWB for Bluetooth instead.

Quote:

2 - How useful/easy to use are sub-notebooks?

The main distinction for subnotebooks these days is their lack of optical drive. I don't see Apple doing that; furthermore, I don't see them getting to a significantly smaller size than their current 12-inch PowerBook/iBook. In terms of width, they are just about as small as you can get while maintaining full keyboard size, and I don't see them compromising that either.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

Uhh...you're running the newest and best OS from Apple on that iBook, while the Dell is using a 6-year-old OS- of course it will be faster.

Actually, I tend to find Win 2K faster (and more stable) than XP, if somewhat lacking in the software-compatability department.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That article makes pretty good sense to me.

I'd have thought Xserve last maybe, but maybe not.

Apple subnotebooks? Please! ASAP

I'm thinking just ONE model will be shown at MWSF, but that others will follow within 2 months. Mac Mini and all the laptops on Intel pretty soon--and I won't lose hope just because only one of them appears in Jan.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Why? Most servers are Xeons, and why shouldn't Apple enter that game? I happen to think they could do pretty well in the server market with industry-standard hardware. The xServer/xRAID/xSAN are pretty competitive options, but the PowerPC and MacOS X aspects frightens IT. If Apple could go bidding on regular contracts and get MacOS X compatibility in as a kind of hidden capability, it could start to slowly take off.

Besides, servers are one of the areas where most apps are compiled, vertical, or highly integrated, so they wouldn't have to worry that Grandma Smith's Recipe Book or whatever software isn't native yet.

Because the new Xeon's wont be out then. Its pretty simple reason why, and couple that with the requirement for something that is more ruggedly tested, I wouldn't be surprised if only the consumer end ones were upgraded first, namely those that rely on the G4 processor, then once the Xeon based on the new core comes on line, seeing the professional being upgraded, and the iMac at the same time as the second revision of the first lot of consumer products that were released in January.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Personally, I will not get an iBook that does not have FireWire because my iPod and external LaCie DVD drive use FireWire but my external drive (backups) has both USB and FireWire connections so that is no big deal unless I can't boot from the drive while using the USB connection. If you are just doing backups an external USB drive should not be too bad since you can do other things while the backup is happening. If you are using it for storing files/projects that you need to be interacting with (video/photo editing) then USB will not fly.

The problem with USB is that MacOS X does not support booting from it. I wouldn't necessarily be happy about it, but I could live with it as long as I could use a drive with a USB2 connection as a boot disk, just as I can with Firewire connections now. I can understand the reasoning and the economics behind the trend to drop Firewire support on the iPods, I just hope that trend doesn't extend to any of Apple's Macintosh line, not even the consumer stuff like the iBook and Mac mini. I like Firewire very much and hope it doesn't get pushed to only the Pro lines.

Joe
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

That article makes pretty good sense to me.

... Apple subnotebooks? Please! ASAP

I'm thinking just ONE model will be shown at MWSF, but that others will follow within 2 months. Mac Mini and all the laptops on Intel pretty soon--and I won't lose hope just because only one of them appears in Jan.

A touchscreen subnotebook/tablet/superPDA/superPod would be killer. Wireless USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, no modem, no optical drive, suuuuuuuuuuper thin, no keyboard. It could even act as a Mac mini / Mac DVR remote. OK, it's a fantasy.

Maybe TWO models shown at MWSF: the mini/DVR/homeTheater thingy and the iBooks. PowerBooks announced but not shipping yet.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    I am sick of really thin and light. Bring back a Newton. Not just the name but something the size of the Newton that feels like a Brick.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Since Firewire is being mentioned here, this short article mught be of some help:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention. Look who wrote the article.

Jason O'Grady has the website "The PowerPage". He's a bit of a crackpot.

He predicted with absolute certainty, that in January 2005, we would have a G5 PB, as well as 10.4.3. It goes with his other *interesting* predictions.

So, take it for what it's worth!
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Since Firewire is being mentioned here, this short article mught be of some help:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention. Look who wrote the article.

Jason O'Grady has the website "The PowerPage". He's a bit of a crackpot.

He predicted with absolute certainty, that in January 2005, we would have a G5 PB, as well as 10.4.3. It goes with his other *interesting* predictions.

So, take it for what it's worth!

That's the same article I quoted in my original post to this discussion. Hopefully he is just as wrong about this rumor as his others.

Joe
  • Reply 50 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kansas

That's the same article I quoted in my original post to this discussion. Hopefully he is just as wrong about this rumor as his others.

Joe

I didn't realise it was the same one. I no longer read the Powerpage.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    So? Will the new Intel MACmini be a dual core Yonah?
  • Reply 52 of 67
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

So? Will the new Intel MACmini be a dual core Yonah?

Possibly.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by ALPICH

There are other reason other than being impolite. I am a native speaker. I never claimed to be anything else, just not good at it. The fact that I now have a degree (all be it in social work) is a mirical. As for you bein Anal? Your Problem! I suggest Milk of Magnesia. It is a great laxitive that might get loose your carrot. I do however take your point about Mac's being Macs. Slip of the typing a number of times. As for APPle COMPuters (Partially Capitals - being Less that GOD All Capitals) I guess you will have something to waist your Anality on. (I still crack myself up). Finally... I didn't ask for your approval nor should I have to seek it for the way I use the English Language. So in conclusion, like a good Ozzi. Fair suck of the sab mate, liten up yer old codger, its just words, She'll be right and Oroo, yeh but.

The word is actually "Hooroo" not "Oroo"

As for the rest -

1 = Aussie, the ss is pronounced as z

2 = Fair suck of the SAV (derivative of sausage) , not sab, (is that not a scandinavian car?, oops soory, that is saab)

3 = It is just words, very very true, just words, but if take the time to get them accurate, there will be no need for the bitching sessions

My Two Cents

Bikerdude
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikerdude

The word is actually "Hooroo" not "Oroo"

As for the rest -

1 = Aussie, the ss is pronounced as z

2 = Fair suck of the SAV (derivative of sausage) , not sab, (is that not a scandinavian car?, oops soory, that is saab)

3 = It is just words, very very true, just words, but if take the time to get them accurate, there will be no need for the bitching sessions

My Two Cents

Bikerdude

I live in South Australia so:

1. We don't use 'z' in words where there should be an 's' like Queensland and NSW who are just trying to please Yanks.

2. Yes for the rest of Australia SAV is a sausage. In South Australia there was a drink called SAB. That is the original roots here.

3. I am not 'bitching'. You started by being concerned about my use of grammer. I took a couple of your points (Macs not Mac's) but the rest has got strange. If you have taken this personally and think I am bitching with you then I ask for your forgiveness.

4. Finally if you knew what you were talking about you would know that one and two cent coins are no longer in circulation in Australia and so we now say ?my five cents worth?. You didn't even bother to write ?worth? on the end of your "My Two Cents". Sure its implied but really that is just lazy.

Of course you could go and check the net for ?real accurate? cultural information and prove me wrong. Anyway, I said I was not going to post again but when you attack my South Australia Heritage I had to respond. Enough now. Respond if you want but I say bye bye.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

I live in South Australia so:

1. We don't use 'z' in words where there should be an 's' like Queensland and NSW who are just trying to please Yanks.

2. Yes for the rest of Australia SAV is a sausage. In South Australia there was a drink called SAB. That is the original roots here.

3. I am not 'bitching'. You started by being concerned about my use of grammer. I took a couple of your points (Macs not Mac's) but the rest has got strange. If you have taken this personally and think I am bitching with you then I ask for your forgiveness.

4. Finally if you knew what you were talking about you would know that one and two cent coins are no longer in circulation in Australia and so we now say ?my five cents worth?. You didn't even bother to write ?worth? on the end of your "My Two Cents". Sure its implied but really that is just lazy.

Of course you could go and check the net for ?real accurate? cultural information and prove me wrong. Anyway, I said I was not going to post again but when you attack my South Australia Heritage I had to respond. Enough now. Respond if you want but I say bye bye.

No offence intended at all, my term "bitching" was not aimed at you, it was a generalisation on the conversation you had with Chucker, my reply was aimed at both of you, you seem to have takin it personally and for that I apologise, however, you go on to say that i do not know what I am talking about an that to me seems like a personal statement, although i do not regard it as such a forgive you for your seemingly agressive verbal boot in my rear.

I NEVER was attacking your South Aussie heritage, but i do question the distortion of taking a long used term like "sav" and making it have some link to some consumer drink brand.

My 2 cents will alwaya be, my 2 cents, just like the terms 2 bob, which stil gets used today.

The sound of z in Aussie is in no means a a furlock pull to the stated "Yanks", it is phonetic at its best and is a hark back to the slow drawl of the Australian slant on the English language.

The word Worth is not neede as I was not intending to add value to anything, it is simply my 2 cents

Bikerdude
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:

I am sick of really thin and light. Bring back a Newton. Not just the name but something the size of the Newton that feels like a Brick.

I'm intrigued as to why someone who had never looked twice at a Mac (sorry, MAC) until the latest generation of iBooks would have any kind of opinion about the Newton - a machine which predates any of your experiences with the platform by about 10 years?

This sounds very much to me like the ramblings of a troll who's done a search for the 'top ten topics that cause passionate rants on AI' and is trying his luck at regurgitating them.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

That is dumb. Us hardcore travelites/field work people need a subnotebook with long battery life.

Lightweight can feel solid if it is built right.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

I'm intrigued as to why someone who had never looked twice at a Mac (sorry, MAC) until the latest generation of iBooks would have any kind of opinion about the Newton - a machine which predates any of your experiences with the platform by about 10 years?

This sounds very much to me like the ramblings of a troll who's done a search for the 'top ten topics that cause passionate rants on AI' and is trying his luck at regurgitating them.

Now that is worth replying to... because it is not an argument. My friend had one for about 5 years before he got a Palm. I was a little envious. Still my statement about chunky stands. I recon there is a market for a portable vinal player. hehehe
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

Now that is worth replying to... because it is not an argument. My friend had one for about 5 years before he got a Palm. I was a little envious. Still my statement about chunky stands. I recon there is a market for a portable vinal player. hehehe

Well fair enough. In that case I withdraw my accusation.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    vestax has a portable turntable:

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?...=915&PT_ID=148

as well as numark

http://www.numark.com/products/produ...overview&n=107

for those jetsetting djs to do some research while on the go..!