• Reply 61 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

vestax has a portable turntable:

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?...=915&PT_ID=148

as well as numark

http://www.numark.com/products/produ...overview&n=107

for those jetsetting djs to do some research while on the go..!

Is that how you have to play your music out there?
  • Reply 62 of 67
    heh. very funny. no more love for you melgross, particularly after the "orangutan" comments

this would be the pro standard for playing at clubs, gigs, etc.

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/tech...?s=1&mode=long

of course, you could go all hi tech:

http://www.numark.com/

iDJ

speaking of iDJ, i mocked this up over a year ago:

portable vinyl players is for like when you have to listen to records (usually djs checking out new tracks) when you are not near a power outlet. and pro turntables are very heavy as well...
  • Reply 63 of 67
    for my iDJ idea, it was one step up from the Stanton/Traktor studio vinyless DJing thing, in that it had optical not mechanical pickup, or touch sensor whatever ala current gen ipod click wheel. also my idea had it being wireless -- as one knows, any sound/rock/dance/club gig the dj seems like he is lording over some sort of freaky cybernetic thing with like a million cables that would put the fear of god even into cisco engineers
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

heh. very funny. no more love for you melgross, particularly after the "orangutan" comments

this would be the pro standard for playing at clubs, gigs, etc.

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/tech...?s=1&mode=long

of course, you could go all hi tech:

http://www.numark.com/

iDJ

speaking of iDJ, i mocked this up over a year ago:

portable vinyl players is for like when you have to listen to records (usually djs checking out new tracks) when you are not near a power outlet. and pro turntables are very heavy as well...

Sorry, heh, heh, heh.

I've seen something like that unit. There is another one, but I don't remember who makes it. I have a couple of Numark mixers and they're well made.

This almost looks too modern, but nice.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:

for my iDJ idea, it was one step up from the Stanton/Traktor studio vinyless DJing thing, in that it had optical not mechanical pickup, or touch sensor whatever ala current gen ipod click wheel. also my idea had it being wireless -- as one knows, any sound/rock/dance/club gig the dj seems like he is lording over some sort of freaky cybernetic thing with like a million cables that would put the fear of god even into cisco engineers

You're talking about optical vinyl pickup?

There a couple of those around, but they are way too expensive for something like this. In the thousands.

I listened to the original one, which the Smithsonian uses to transfer old recordings to digital. It isn't being made any longer. It was almost $10,000.

The one which I think is still being made cost several thou, but like the first one, has its problems.

The biggest one is that the laser can't tell the difference between dust, grime, and grooves. If the lp isn't perfectly clean, it can sound like a 78, but with much more hi freq noise.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    optical as in optical mouse. in the iDJ above (my design), and nuMark's, there is no longer any physical vinyl involved.... you move some sort of "wheel" which translates into a vector (forward or backward motion over x amount of time)... this controls a digital file (wav/ mp3/ aac) on your mac/ pc/ hard disk/ iPod and the iDJ-type-device simulates "virtual vinyl playback" : replete with scratching, pitch shifting, and of course the now-well mastered "turntable power down squigeee sound". also optical pickup of a "turntable" would need to simulate needle weight/pressure on the "simulated vinyl"... heh... pro DJs reading this (i'm not one) would get what i'm talking about, but yeah it is all a bit obscure for this "analyst and intel mac" thread ah, *sigh* the wild and wooly DJ profession. not for the fainthearted....

true optical pickup for real vinyl - now that's cool i never visited Washington DC so never been to tha Smithsonian... mainly checked out NYC and Boston when i visited US East Coast (i did not always live in my parents' basement )
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:

optical as in optical mouse. in the iDJ above (my design), and nuMark's, there is no longer any physical vinyl involved.... you move some sort of "wheel" which translates into a vector (forward or backward motion over x amount of time)... this controls a digital file (wav/ mp3/ aac) on your mac/ pc/ hard disk/ iPod and the iDJ-type-device simulates "virtual vinyl playback" : replete with scratching, pitch shifting, and of course the now-well mastered "turntable power down squigeee sound". also optical pickup of a "turntable" would need to simulate needle weight/pressure on the "simulated vinyl"... heh... pro DJs reading this (i'm not one) would get what i'm talking about, but yeah it is all a bit obscure for this "analyst and intel mac" thread ah, *sigh* the wild and wooly DJ profession. not for the fainthearted....

true optical pickup for real vinyl - now that's cool i never visited Washington DC so never been to tha Smithsonian... mainly checked out NYC and Boston when i visited US East Coast (i did not always live in my parents' basement )

Ok, I was wondering what you meant.

Audio was my business for seven years. Laser tracking of Lp's is VERY difficult. A stylus pushes a lot of garbage out of the way, or it piles up on the tip. This still produces grunge, but a laser produces much more. It then has to be removed algorithmically. Very tough to do. I had one unit at home for several months. We never could get the parameters quite right for everyday listening.