Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 501 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

all this talk about the ps3...

those of you who are riding on the impact of the ps3

have you guys been paying attention to E3? the industry? Sony has fallen behind both Nintendo and Microsoft.

the conference has been nothing but negative backlash for sony.

The only thing people are upset about is the price for the full HDMI capable version of the PS3. People are just venting, and griping. Plus you have the 90% of MS insiders, and E3 buzz plants trying to sway the mindless in their camps favor. It's an old spread the BUZZ technique that still works on the weak minded for the most part. Thankfully the majority that can think for themselves are still going with the #'s. PS3 sill has the major power advantage of all the systems IMO. And there is still more unknown details to come from camp Sony before November.

Nintendo, and Sony still have a great advantage over the 360 from my perspective. We already know everything about the 360, and it's not all that compelling. I think the 160 games by november is it's greatest sales point.
  • Reply 502 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    onlooker what you smoke brotha?

i love this "we know everything about the 360 and its not all compelling"

ok lets look at the facts.

majority if not every programmer has stated that both systems (MS and Sony) will be the same in terms of power and ability.

the 360 has first step on live. sony wont even show us yet, the fact that they are offering it free goes to show they will prob leave it up to developers to decide individual pricing. 360's online functionality is proven.

360 has the live arcade and until nintendo comes out with theirs it is basically unmatched anywhere else.

360 already has a list of amazing upcoming games like gears of war about to be released. Sony wont even have MGS4 by time of launch! Halo 3 is set for 2007!

Sony is priced at 600 dollars with a blu-ray drive that isn't even standard as of now. the 360 is priced at 400 dollars with a possible price cut at sony launch AND an add on HD-DVD if you CHOOSE to purchase it.

where do you come off saying there is nothign compelling about the 360? they have the same support the ps3 does, about the same titles coming to both, and personally their exclusives are better lmao (thats personal preference however)
  • Reply 503 of 2106
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Sony isn't going to market the PS3 as a $600 console only. My bet is Sony will instruct electronics retail partners to have at least one PS3 demo in the AV section of their stores to demonstrate it as a $600 Blu-ray disc player.

The PS3 will ship with at least 2 Blu-ray discs in the box.
  • Reply 504 of 2106
    seeing as everyone else is pedantic on this thread can i point out that IMO

//Sony wont even have MGS4 by time of launch! Halo 3 is set for 2007! //

seems to say to me that MGS4 and Halo will launch at the same time ??

PS3 launch in november '06. MGS out in 2007 is the same as

Halo out in 2007.

?????????????????

CALM down folks.. by 2008 we will all be SURE who was right.

Rod
  • Reply 505 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yes but we have no evidence that a million PS3 purchases means a million homes buying Blu Ray movies.

It's still a million potential blu-ray purchasers compared to 0 HD-DVD purchasers. Like the early PS2s they will get used for media playback too. Snoopy is right a lot of people will use it as an intermediate until prices drop.

Lets assume only 3% of early PS3 users become blu-ray purchasers, that's 120 000 blu-ray users by year end and I suspect that number is very conservative. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't roughly in line with HD-DVD's entire sales for players giving blu-ray a roughly 50% immediate market share without including other players that are sold. That's just tossing numbers around but given Toshiba's initial production I'd say it's probably a reasonable estimate and that's tough to battle.

That said I still think it is the big consumer electronics companies that kill HD-DVD. A lot of people are going to wonder why Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, Philips and Sony are all in one camp. Even if people can't afford to buy those brands will they really rush into a purchase where the number of blu-ray players heavily outnumbers the HD-DVD players?

Those are companies with very good names and a lot of money for marketing, and I suspect they will spend it.
  • Reply 506 of 2106
    // Like the early PS2s they will get used for media playback too. //

didnt Japans retailers repot something like a 20% plus increase in DVD sales the week/month the PS2 went on sale. more players in homes is an inbuilt POTENTIAL increase. thats difficult to dispute folks

Rod
  • Reply 507 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

// Like the early PS2s they will get used for media playback too. //

didnt Japans retailers repot something like a 20% plus increase in DVD sales the week/month the PS2 went on sale. more players in homes is an inbuilt POTENTIAL increase. thats difficult to dispute folks

Rod

personally if i was head of a company i wouldn't always look at the past for references to the future

but hey thats just me and basic accounting principles
  • Reply 508 of 2106
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

personally if i was head of a company i wouldn't always look at the past for references to the future

but hey thats just me and basic accounting principles

But you still have to be cognizant of how the situations are different. During the PS2 launch, EVERYONE had regular TV's and EVERYONE could see a real, obvious benefit in quality and convenience over VHS.

Far from everyone has HDTVs, and consequently its value as a movie player is diminished.
  • Reply 509 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

But you still have to be cognizant of how the situations are different. During the PS2 launch, EVERYONE had regular TV's and EVERYONE could see a real, obvious benefit in quality and convenience over VHS.

Far from everyone has HDTVs, and consequently its value as a movie player is diminished.

exactly.

i just dont see this gen of high def movies being adopted so quickly, i just dont.

i dont think the new age of High Def will hit us until well into 2008
  • Reply 510 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

i dont think the new age of High Def will hit us until well into 2008

True, but by then the Blu-ray players in PS3 units will outnumber the HD-DVD units in the field by 100-1 or more.
  • Reply 511 of 2106
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

True, but by then the Blu-ray players in PS3 units will outnumber the HD-DVD units in the field by 100-1 or more.

Not if you can walk into wallmart and buy a unit for $100 or something.

I really don't have a position on either side, as I think this whole debate is pretty dumb, but you really seemed to have pulled that 100-1 thing straight out of your backside.
  • Reply 512 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Not if you can walk into wallmart and buy a unit for $100 or something.

I really don't have a position on either side, as I think this whole debate is pretty dumb, but you really seemed to have pulled that 100-1 thing straight out of your backside.

How likely is a $100 HD-DVD in the next 18 months? Not very likely.

How many HD-DVD players are likely to sell - not very many, and not that many stand-alone Blu-ray players either.

How many PS3s are likely to sell - a whole bunch.

100-1 is an educated guess, which is the same as "pulled out of my ass" only if you disagree, which you seem to (foolishly, IMHO).
  • Reply 513 of 2106
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

i just dont see this gen of high def movies being adopted so quickly, i just dont.

Not sure if this is a good sign, or a sign that Toshiba under produced, but of all the Best Buys in the Sacramento region (which is 10 different stores, spanning from Elk Grove, to Roseville, to even one in Nevada), there is only 1 HD-DVD player available. I have asked about ordering one, and was told it would take 7-10 business days to have it shipped to the store for me. He also said that he wasn't sure when they would be getting another shipment, that the first shipment was very limited, and sold out immediately.

They also had a few movies there for purchase (off the top of my head) Apollo 13, Assault on Precinct 13, Jarhead, Phantom Of The Opera, The Last Samurai, Swordfish, Serenity, and Rumor has It. Rumor has It was a dual sided disk, with on side having the HD-DVD movie, and the other side having a standard def DVD movie. kind of cool, but not sure of the use of such a disk. If I were buying a HD-DVD player today (which I will be once my best buy cards come in the mail), I know I would get 4 movies now (Apollo 13, Jarhead, Serenity, and The Last Samurai). There are a couple of other movies coming down the pipe that interest me. I am in the market for a high def player, be it blu-ray or hd-dvd. hd-dvd is here now, with movies, so it will more than likely be what I purchase. If there was a similarly priced blu-ray player available today, I might have a tougher decision on my hands.
  • Reply 514 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Not sure if this is a good sign, or a sign that Toshiba under produced

It is a sign that retailers don't stock what does not sell. From Amazon, we can see that the Toshiba HD-DVD player is not a big seller (see sales rank):

Product Details

* Product Dimensions: 16.0 x 20.0 x 12.0 inches ; 12.0 pounds

* Shipping Weight: 25.5 pounds. (View shipping rates and policies)

* Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

* ASIN: B000E1PTGK

* Item model number: HD-A1

* Average Customer Review: based on 8 reviews. (Write a review.)

* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,894 in Electronics (See Top Sellers in Electronics)

Yesterday: #1,179 in Electronics

* Date first available at Amazon.com: April 18, 2005
  • Reply 515 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    I was at the local BB/Magnolia and they did have the $799 version HD-DVD player in stock. It was tempting now even more than ever after seeing released specs on the PS3 and the 1st gen BD player specs.... along with movies in MPEG2 on single layer BD just spoiled all expectations on the BD. However, HD DVD seems to have the upper hand on the technology now since it stores 5GB more and all movies in VC1 1080p24 format.

It just seems like this HD format movie era rollout just went sour for everyone. BD now has crippled movies on the single layer BD, but should have more studio support. However, HD DVD will most likely have better movie contents but only few movies are available..... but the real deal breaker is the 1080i limited half-assed job toshiba players. This gives me no option but just wait for something better from non-toshiba brand or not to get in at all. I thought the HD war was supposed to benefit the end users, but looks like it's not helping anyone, but those who happily bought half broken toshiba players with 6 HD DVD movies?......

I think the HD format is making a wrong turn...... with too many broken promisses...
  • Reply 516 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

I was at the local BB/Magnolia and they did have the $799 version HD-DVD player in stock. It was tempting now even more than ever after seeing released specs on the PS3 and the 1st gen BD player specs.... along with movies in MPEG2 on single layer BD just spoiled all expectations on the BD. However, HD DVD seems to have the upper hand on the technology now since it stores 5GB more and all movies in VC1 1080p24 format.

It just seems like this HD format movie era rollout just went sour for everyone. BD now has crippled movies on the single layer BD, but should have more studio support. However, HD DVD will most likely have better movie contents but only few movies are available..... but the real deal breaker is the 1080i limited half-assed job toshiba players. This gives me no option but just wait for something better from non-toshiba brand or not to get in at all. I thought the HD war was supposed to benefit the end users, but looks like it's not helping anyone, but those who happily bought half broken toshiba players with 6 HD DVD movies?......

I think the HD format is making a wrong turn...... with too many broken promisses...

Where did you hear that Blu-ray was going to be limited to a single layer? I thought that they just came up with an 8-layer Blu-ray disk?

Anyway, MPEG2 is better than MPEG4 if you can afford to use more storage space on the disk. You get simpler decoding hardware and fewer glitches on playback, according to somebody a few months ago on this thread.

If you really want to have a good movie experience and get off the HD train, standard DVD with a DVDO VP-30 will keep you happy on any 120" or smaller screen - and then you don't have to worry about copy protection or limited titles.
  • Reply 517 of 2106
    Quote:

Where did you hear that Blu-ray was going to be limited to a single layer? I thought that they just came up with an 8-layer Blu-ray disk?

Anyway, MPEG2 is better than MPEG4 if you can afford to use more storage space on the disk. You get simpler decoding hardware and fewer glitches on playback, according to somebody a few months ago on this thread.

If you really want to have a good movie experience and get off the HD train, standard DVD with a DVDO VP-30 will keep you happy on any 120" or smaller screen - and then you don't have to worry about copy protection or limited titles.

Every online forums confirm single layer BD titles at rollout, but I don't think it will change anytime soon or even change at all to dual layer in the later time. I don't think movie studios will make the extra efforts to print movies in dual layer if much cost is added. Even the Sony titles will be single layer. I'm sure lower bit HD format will stilll be better than superbit SD format even when upconverted to HD resolutions. I do own oppo upconverting DVD player and when I check my neighbor"s HD-DVD player on HD-DVD Title movies, there are huge difference in details and clarity (sounds like audiophile jargon). I personally don't really care which format wins as long as I can get good HD format movies at home. I just hope somone can make universal player that will end the war for the consumers. While back, LG hinted of persuing such hardware, but the chances are very remote for the near future.
  • Reply 518 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

I do own oppo upconverting DVD player and when I check my neighbor"s HD-DVD player on HD-DVD Title movies, there are huge difference in details and clarity (sounds like audiophile jargon).

The DVDO unit is far above any hardware that you will find in a upconverting DVD player. It is supposed to be particularly good with the new ABT-102 daughter card (which should be arriving at my house next week) and 480i sources - it costs $2200 (including ABT-102), but think about how much you would spend over several initial generations of HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. Even if you have a high-def player, you get benefit because the DVDO unit will scale the output resolution to the physical resolution of your display.

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30_packs.php

Get off the train, wait for the PS3. Any money spent on HD-DVD hardware is money wasted on a soon-to-be-Betaised format.

Dual (and higher) layer Blu-ray disks will be used when available, because they will sell better than multi-packs of single layer disks. I don't see the same single-layer forever future that you do.
  • Reply 519 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

onlooker what you smoke brotha?

i love this "we know everything about the 360 and its not all compelling"

OK maybe I just don't find it as compelling as you do.
  • Reply 520 of 2106
    Quote:

The DVDO unit is far above any hardware that you will find in a upconverting DVD player. It is supposed to be particularly good with the new ABT-102 daughter card (which should be arriving at my house next week) and 480i sources - it costs $2200 (including ABT-102), but think about how much you would spend over several initial generations of HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. Even if you have a high-def player, you get benefit because the DVDO unit will scale the output resolution to the physical resolution of your display.

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30_packs.php

Get off the train, wait for the PS3. Any money spent on HD-DVD hardware is money wasted on a soon-to-be-Betaised format.

Dual (and higher) layer Blu-ray disks will be used when available, because they will sell better than multi-packs of single layer disks. I don't see the same single-layer forever future that you do.

I'm sure DVDO unit will perform very well, but still the source is SD and nothing's going to change that unless you feed HD to DVDO unit. One of my prediction that I wouldn't want to come true would be BD with 1080i title contents and the hardware deinterlacing to 1080p and call it as 1080p BD on the single layer BD titles. if this happens, than it will be as stupid as 1080p24 HD DVD being ouput at 1080i by the player(well, I gues not as bad as HD-DVD). I'm sure decent hardware can easily and correctly do 3:2 pulldown and reconstruct 1080p24 from 1080i60/48, but still it's something that I don't want to buy into. As for the mulitple layer BD titles, I hope you're correct. I would definately want the BD movie studios to move towards having one disc fit all direction on multi-layer disc, but this may not apply to movie industries. At the most, we'll get a dual layer, and even this seems to be shakey at the moment. Also, promised HD audio formats will definately require atleast a dual layer BD, but I'm not sure what will be compromised on the single layer titles. Maybe, we'll see mulit-disc movie titles.... on with god PQ with normal audio, and the second disk with full HD audio with compressed like hell Video?.....