Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 601 of 2106
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Until there's a standard for encapsulating downloadable video content with all the current options we enjoy on DVD/Blue Laser media I doubt we see downloads take over. People enjoy good presentation.

Indeed. Lack of chapters is my one complaint about cable VOD. I'm eagerly awaiting a "legit" equivalent of ratDVD.

OTOH, I fear interactivity run amok on HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies.
  • Reply 602 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

In Store Now: 20 titles...not exactly a blazing launch now is it?

Compared to what? DVD wasn't much better in it's first few months.

Oops Northgate I just read your response.
  • Reply 603 of 2106
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Compared to what? DVD wasn't much better in it's first few months.

Oops Northgate I just read your response.

In comparison to the 85 launch titles they announced at CES 2005. The anemic launch of DVD isn't much to crow about. You'd think it might go better second time around a decade later. To be fair, BR doesn't look too hot either.

CES 2005 Launch Titles:

Universal Home Entertainment titles:

The Bourne Supremacy

The Chronicles of Riddick

Van Helsing

Apollo 13

U-571

12 Monkeys

Dune

The Thing

End of Days

Backdraft

Waterworld

The Bone Collector

Spy Game

Pitch Black

Conan the Barbarian

Dante's Peak

Warner Home Video titles:

Above the Law

Alexander

Angels in America (HBO)

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (New Line)

Batman Begins

Blade (New Line)

Catwoman

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Constantine

Contact

Dark City (New Line)

The Dukes of Hazzard

Eraser

Executive Decision

Final Destination (New Line)

Friday (New Line)

From the Earth to the Moon (HBO)

The Fugitive

Gothika

Hard to Kill

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

House of Wax (2005)

The Last Samurai

The Mask (New Line)

The Matrix

The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Revolutions

Maverick

Million Dollar Baby

The Music Man

Mystic River

Next of Kin

North by Northwest

Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Twelve

Passenger 57

The Perfect Storm

The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

The Player (New Line)

The Polar Express

Red Planet

Rush Hour (New Line)

Se7en (New Line)

Soldier

The Sopranos (HBO)

Spawn (New Line)

Swordfish

Troy

Under Siege

U.S. Marshals

Wild Wild West

Paramount Home Entertainment titles:

The Manchurian Candidate

Spongebob Squarepants

Elizabethtown

Coach Carter

Italian Job

School Of Rock

Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow

Forrest Gump

Braveheart

Ghost

Grease

Mission Impossible 2

Black Rain

Save The Last Dance

Sleepy Hollow

U2 Rattle & Hum

Vanilla Sky

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Star Trek: First Contact

We Were Soldiers
  • Reply 604 of 2106
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    yeah but all those movies suck!

BLUE RAY IS THE NEW BETA!
  • Reply 605 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

yeah but all those movies suck!

BLUE RAY IS THE NEW BETA!

Spoken like a true a@#hole!

-Chubbs, from Happy Gilmore
  • Reply 606 of 2106
    Niveus HTPC will support HD-DVD initially and then Blu Ray

I wish I could afford one of these boxes. They're like the Cadillac of HTPC.

CableCARD support coming as well. Scwhiiing.
  • Reply 607 of 2106
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Niveus HTPC will support HD-DVD initially and then Blu Ray

I wish I could afford one of these boxes. They're like the Cadillac of HTPC.

CableCARD support coming as well. Scwhiiing.

I noticed on their website (front page) they say "HD-DVD in 1080p". But when reading the press release, I can't find any additional mention of this. If this is indeed true, it puts a little dent in the Blu-Ray armor. I remember people here yammering on about how HD-DVD could only due 1080i, and it wouldn't compete with Blu-Ray @ 1080p. But now it is looking like the first run, cheap players from each only do 1080i, and the forthcoming higher end players all do 1080p.
  • Reply 608 of 2106
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I hope not.

I want to own my movies, not rent them.

Why couldn't Apple offer that option on iTunes, you can stream the movie any time you want without having to pay for it each time. You could still own the movies you just wouldn't physically store them in your home. For those of us that want to rent or have an unlimited subscription plan, those should be offered as well.

In any case, I rather keep my movies on Apples servers than physically stack them at home for the same reason I keep my money in a bank instead of in a pile under my matress. It's safe, and easily accessable from anywhere without having to lug it around.

I know people are easily wowed by something new that comes in a shiny box that they can pickup at the store, that is after all why they make this stuff. I'm just convinced that you can get a much better experience without buying into any of that.

• Reply 609 of 2106
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-DVD_Titles/81

Quote:

Paramount Delays First HD-DVD Titles

Thu May 25, 2006 at 03:19 PM ET

Tags: Disc Announcements, Paramount (all tags)

Only days before it was set to debut its first three HD-DVD titles, Paramount has postponed the discs with no new release date scheduled, a studio spokesperson told High Def Digest.

Originally set to debut three titles on May 20 -- 'Four Brothers,' 'U2: Rattle & Hum' and 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' -- Paramount has pulled all information on the titles from its press and retail websites.

Paramount has given no reason for the postponement, but did confirm that as of today, the titles have not be given a new release date.

We will keep you posted on further details as they are released, and we have updated our comprehensive HD-DVD Release Schedule accordingly.

Hmm, will webmail's prophecy come true? Is Paramount indeed pulling support of HD DVD? To me, if I'm a company who supports HD DVD, at the very least I specifiy a later time to which the movies will roll out. Hmm, interesting indeed.

I can't help but think this spells further doom for the HD DVD format.
  • Reply 610 of 2106
    FUD
  • Reply 611 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I noticed on their website (front page) they say "HD-DVD in 1080p". But when reading the press release, I can't find any additional mention of this. If this is indeed true, it puts a little dent in the Blu-Ray armor. I remember people here yammering on about how HD-DVD could only due 1080i, and it wouldn't compete with Blu-Ray @ 1080p. But now it is looking like the first run, cheap players from each only do 1080i, and the forthcoming higher end players all do 1080p.

If you looked on the site a bit more, you'd notice that only some K2 edition will support 1080P but is described as "cost is no object." And, seeing how the other lower models cost anywhere from $4,000 to $6,500, I fail to see how this puts a little dent in the Blu-ray armour. Especially considering you can get a $599 PS3 at full 1080P that will sell in the millions. Hmm,.....$6,500 or $600? Not to mention you are still plagued by the lack of Hollywood support, lesser durability, and less storage with the HD DVD format.

Dent, no, it's not even a flesh wound.
  • Reply 612 of 2106
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Why are people obsessed by 1080p when most people can't tell the difference? LCD are progressive by nature, and 1080p only gets noticable over 50".

Is it just willy waving?
  • Reply 613 of 2106
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

...and 1080p only gets noticable over 50".

Is it just willy waving?

Mine's 70"!
  • Reply 614 of 2106
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Mine's 70"!

You lucky man
  • Reply 615 of 2106
    Quote:

Why are people obsessed by 1080p when most people can't tell the difference? LCD are progressive by nature, and 1080p only gets noticable over 50".

Is it just willy waving?

Some of us use projectors where 100" is on the small side...

Vinea
  • Reply 616 of 2106
    Quote:

Is it just willy waving?

Yeah pretty much it's just people looking at the bigger number and getting fixated. What's most important is the original store. If that's progressive then the next thing is how well the scaler in your display device handles the job.

Again the Sony SXRD is one of the best of not THE best RPTV and it trumps most of the 1080p input monitors out today in quality.

I think we have a few people wanting to make an issue out of 1080i/1080p more than it really is.

The good news is HD-DVD looks great and so will Blu-Ray so we've descended into boring talk about studio support and game consoles.
  • Reply 617 of 2106
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Yeah pretty much it's just people looking at the bigger number and getting fixated.

Inches? Inches?!?! Shit I measure mine in FEET!

Sorry but us projector owners with 8' screens (and bigger) beg to differ!

Dave
  • Reply 618 of 2106
    Quote:

Yeah pretty much it's just people looking at the bigger number and getting fixated.

This from a guy without a horse in the race. Buy a HDTV yet?

Quote:

I think we have a few people wanting to make an issue out of 1080i/1080p more than it really is.

As long as you have 1080i/60 you can reconstruct 1080p/24 (or 1080p/30). On the other hand I dunno that 1080p/24 to be all that great for some sources (ie anything particularly fast moving) and frankly the 1080 resolution is the minimum acceptable resolution not an optimal one.

Yeah, folks with 8'+ screen will see a difference if we went higher than 1080 and faster than 24p or 30p. Why use film limits of 24 fps and depend on motion blur? Humans can see up to around 72 fps. Likewise 1080p is the lowest resolution found to meet roughly the human eye's resolution AND fill enough of the field of view for immersion. Even so, the human eye can detect horizontal and vertical lines far thinner than what you have at 1080.

HD is a stepping stone to higher resolutions. As more folks move to digitial film making and new methods of distribution I think we'll lose the 24fps limitation and see higher resolutions.

Vinea
  • Reply 619 of 2106
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Yeah pretty much it's just people looking at the bigger number and getting fixated. What's most important is the original store. If that's progressive then the next thing is how well the scaler in your display device handles the job.

Again the Sony SXRD is one of the best of not THE best RPTV and it trumps most of the 1080p input monitors out today in quality.

The good news is HD-DVD looks great and so will Blu-Ray so we've descended into boring talk about studio support and game consoles.

speaking of which, did you see the new SXRD's that were announced yesterday?

http://www.sonystyle.com/2006tv

i just need to verify that it will accept 1080P computer input and i'm sold! i'm really looking forward to using my mac, blu-ray and PS3 on one display!
  • Reply 620 of 2106
    Quote:

This from a guy without a horse in the race. Buy a HDTV yet

No room. Share a 3bdrm Townhome with my best friend and he has a 30" HDTV Philips CRT. I've all but decided that I'm getting the sammy HLS5087W 1080P baby. But that comes after I move out early 2007.

Whoami

Yes the 2006 SXRD all take 1080p inputs.