Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1941 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I don't think you read into what I said.

Maybe instead of writing "demand by my standards in this situation". I should have wrote "demand as I'm defining it in this situation", so you would have an idea of what I meant. I guess it's my bad. Nevertheless, the Wii is not selling out by the end of the day any more in most places, and PS3, with it's higher price tag, is flying out doors, and gaining momentum in user popularity. Once you see one in action you remember how cool the PS1 was when it was seemingly all alone out there. It's still the hottest xmas item, and I think once units become more readily available it is going to be system to have. Actually I think it already is. I've played it, and it's freaking stellar. The demo machine does not do it justice.

your opinion is your opinion, and you are totally right for it to be your own but when i check around other forums, magazines, online news sites, a majority of the consensus is that the ps3 hasn't delivered yet, and it prob wont until well into 07. it seems like most people are waiting to see what the ps3 will offer to justify the price tag.

because pretty much all the games out look better on the 360, a lot of sites liek gamespot.com have side by side comparisons, and its clearly visible from a graphics standpoint that the 360 is nicer (right now).

so again i'd argue about that "hot item" considering a majority of people who stood out in line were doing so to turn a buck, and now you have ps3's barely selling over stock value on ebay.
  • Reply 1942 of 2106
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    "a majority of the consensus"

Do you know what "consensus" means?

"you may not have a decent grasp on the basic supply and demand concept"

You throw out a reference to this "concept", yet the rest of your post has nothing to do with "supply & demand", except in the most remedial sense.

"its tough to say the demand for the ps3 is bigger since there isn't a great amount of systems available."

Yet you use the same information to speculate that the demand isn't bigger.

"if you could careless for bluray"

You probably mean "couldn't care less", but who knows?

• Reply 1943 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

because pretty much all the games out look better on the 360, a lot of sites liek gamespot.com have side by side comparisons, and its clearly visible from a graphics standpoint that the 360 is nicer (right now).

I guess we can all be our own judge on that

http://www.gamespot.com/features/616...&click=topslot

I looked at the first game's set of shots, and I think the lighting on the PS3 looks better. If you look at the lights in the background the 360 images blow out, and the PS3 version is more realistic, and a better photo realization.

I'm excited to see what happens after the holiday season, and game manufacturers start utilizing 1080p, and other features for the PS3.

Seeing that 360 has a better chance of selling more games through the holiday season right now is the worst time for developers to give the PS3 versions an obvious advantage. Somewhat of a shame, but I am a patient person.

I think this confirms what you said, and offers a reasonable conclusion.

Quote:

The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too.

We're going to give the PS3 the benefit of the doubt in this initial round since developers might need more time to figure out how to maximize performance from the Cell and the RSX. If you look at the Xbox 360's first Madden game, Madden 06, you'll notice that it doesn't offer very realistic stadium shadows, either. The trouble with buying a console at launch is that you often have to wait for the second or third generation of games for the system to fulfill its potential. The PS3 didn't beat the 360 in this first comparison, but the games do look fine for first-generation titles. The real graphics battle will likely come next year.

• Reply 1944 of 2106
    well.... let it be 2160p games on PS3.... who cares? However, I do care that PS3 is a very poor upconverting SD-DVD player..... and xbox360 scores much higher on video playback benchmark than PS3. I'm sure Sony wil release future firmwares to address them, but what if they don't/can't?... LOL.
  • Reply 1945 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Yes, and in greater #'s. Not as many people are aware of it though. It's not in as high of demand as a PS3 is. PS3 is the hardest thing to get this year. Not everyone will get them, there wont be enough. Even the TMX Elmo is still shipping. I just got one two days ago.

but whats the TMX Elmo like at 1080p ????
  • Reply 1946 of 2106
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac

However, I do care that PS3 is a very poor upconverting SD-DVD player.....

Most tvs are better at upconverting than most DVD players out there.
  • Reply 1947 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL

Most tvs are better at upconverting than most DVD players out there.

Very true if the HDTV's are later 2006 models or 1080p's... but the older, which is majority of HDTV's are horrible and bob interlace signals while deinterlacing. Even some of the earlier 1080p Sharp LCD models had such problems.

I've not seen cheaper, less than $100, upconverting DVD players in action, but I did have oppo 971H for about a year which $200 can bring you very good upconverting performance and would knock pants off most of HDTV's out there for video processing.
  • Reply 1948 of 2106
    One word:

Price.

It all comes down to price, when the technologies are so similar.
  • Reply 1949 of 2106
    My HD-A2 has just been delivered! Thanks to hmurchison for the purchasing tip. I am now officially engaged in the high-def war!

Since I fully expect this little spat to continue for the foreseeable future, I will probably pick up a Blu-ray player when the prices drop and a few must-have movies emerge. Right now there's nothing exclusive to the format that I can't live without.
  • Reply 1950 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrunoBruin

My HD-A2 has just been delivered! Thanks to hmurchison for the purchasing tip. I am now officially engaged in the high-def war!

Since I fully expect this little spat to continue for the foreseeable future, I will probably pick up a Blu-ray player when the prices drop and a few must-have movies emerge. Right now there's nothing exclusive to the format that I can't live without.

Congrats!.... Now, watch your wallet on those HD-DVD's... As for lower price BD player, I think only unit around $500 budget will be PS3 for some time, maybe even through out 2007. Unless, you want to pick up a refurb/used bd player, which is now readily available. I saw the Disney announcement on the feature titles and there were about 6 to 7 titles I wouldn't mind getting along with a PS3. But those titles won't be out untill later, which might be closer to another anouncement from Disney for neutral support on the Hi-Def format. Oh well.... I can hold off a little and try to import Disney & Fox titles from overseas for about next 6 months....
  • Reply 1951 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Congrats Bruno.

I'm thinking that I'm going to go the Xbox route. I actually work with a bunch of Halo junkies (my bosses) actually and soon 3 of us will have Xbox. I'll get the HD DVD add on when I upgrade to a HDTV LCD. The A2 sounds like it's a solid unit. I'm pretty damn happy with where HD DVD is going and honestly I'm not going to rush but if I can't get all the movies I want by years end 2007 I'll likely buy myself a PS3 as well. Sony just needs more games that I'd be interested in and I need a HDMI AV Receiver.
  • Reply 1952 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I'll likely buy myself a PS3

• Reply 1953 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Congrats Bruno.

I'm thinking that I'm going to go the Xbox route. I actually work with a bunch of Halo junkies (my bosses) actually and soon 3 of us will have Xbox. I'll get the HD DVD add on when I upgrade to a HDTV LCD. The A2 sounds like it's a solid unit. I'm pretty damn happy with where HD DVD is going and honestly I'm not going to rush but if I can't get all the movies I want by years end 2007 I'll likely buy myself a PS3 as well. Sony just needs more games that I'd be interested in and I need a HDMI AV Receiver.

If you asked the average consumer what HD or B-R DVD are, in all likelihood they wouldn't have a clue. The people buying these formats now are video enthusiasts and most, like Murch, are or will buy both formats unless a "winner" emerges soon.
  • Reply 1954 of 2106
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

Not that surprising. If you read through Murch's posts he makes it clear that while he currently prefers HD-DVD for various reasons, he would support whatever format delivers the goods.

It happens a lot on discussion boards: you've got someone who is on one side with some balance, and someone who is on the other side with complete fanaticism, and it makes it appear as if the first party is more partisan than they actually are, if only because the temptation is strong to poke some holes in a fanatics relentlessness.

Not that I'm naming names, mind you......
  • Reply 1955 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Not that surprising. If you read through Murch's posts he makes it clear that while he currently prefers HD-DVD for various reasons, he would support whatever format delivers the goods.

It happens a lot on discussion boards: you've got someone who is on one side with some balance, and someone who is on the other side with complete fanaticism, and it makes it appear as if the first party is more partisan than they actually are, if only because the temptation is strong to poke some holes in a fanatics relentlessness.

Not that I'm naming names, mind you......

Very well said!.....

The irony is that most true BD fanatics should be backing their products and monetarily investing in the technology to show support, but most on this board is just another spectator rubber-necking from the other side of the fence. So, most wouldn't be considered fanatics, but just another troll with malcontent.
  • Reply 1956 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac

The irony is that most true BD fanatics should be backing their products and monetarily investing in the technology to show support, . . .

Many of us who think that BD will succeed are not early adopters. We wait until the price drops and all the bugs are worked out. Our enthusiasm for a technology does not mean we spend our money recklessly.

I did not buy a Mac in 1984. I waited until 1994.
  • Reply 1957 of 2106
    addabox

Bullseye. I don't hate Blu-ray but I have "chosen" my horse so to speak. However the consoles offer a really great deal. I think I'm going to go ahead and go Xbox and if I get a Blu-ray player it'll likely be a PS3. The integration of these consoles is just perfect.

I'm really interested in having full coverage for movies and if my initial support for HD DVD means that more studios begin to move neutral then I'm happy about that.
  • Reply 1958 of 2106
    I've decided to let Microsoft and Sony duke it out before I buy into either format, it means only one thing.... Price drops. Either way I'll be happy when I know I've bought into a format that isn't going to be the lame duck. For now I'm really enjoying my Wii!
  • Reply 1959 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

Many of us who think that BD will succeed are not early adopters. We wait until the price drops and all the bugs are worked out. Our enthusiasm for a technology does not mean we spend our money recklessly.

I did not buy a Mac in 1984. I waited until 1994.

Obviously, you don't belong in the fanatic group...but the enthusiastic other?

BTW, my first mac was the mac SE/20MB HD with black and white screen still in the 80's, so that would put me in the early adopters group?
  • Reply 1960 of 2106
    ive followed this thread from the start... ive seen some WILD claims from people, some sanity from the same people...

early on i cared...

since about page 20-30 its just been entertainment

-----

addabox

//you've got someone who is on one side with some balance, and someone who is on the other side with complete fanaticism, and it makes it appear as if the first party is more partisan than they actually are, if only because the temptation is strong to poke some holes in a fanatics relentlessness. //

so if the fanatic is RIGHT in the end, does that make them more or less valid than the "non" fanatic from the opposing side?

ive been OH so tempted to get an xbox... but the THOUGHT of giving M$ money makes me ill, if that makes me a fanatic then im fine with that

i guess you shouldnt wish your life away, but next year looks to be VERY interesting, and im gonna be looking forward to a PS3 launch over here, and all the apple goodness

mmm xmas... im overwhelmed... over weight... and overdrawn