Analyst predicts iBooks, touch-screen iPod at event in April

Comments

• Reply 101 of 233
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    sunilraman, how about sub note book - 10" or 11" MacBook Mini - mock up? Black & White
  • Reply 102 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

from people i know who have gotten mp3 phones, the main issue to them is battery life. so until that situation is addressed significantly, cellphone/mp3 players don't really present a market to the same degree the ipod does. the ipod simply wouldn't be as popular w/o that 10+ hour battery life.

Thankyou. This is what people don't get. I've an SE p910i phone which has built in mp3 and aac playing even. The card slot allows me to get music on there fairly easily. However, if the phone isn't charged up fully, I've at best 3 hours play time on it. Add in using it as a phone and you can't go more than half a day without having to recharge. It's a bit of a bummer not being able to use the phone because you've drained it listening to music. Not having an mp3 player out the back of nowhere on my bike is an inconvenience. Not having a phone is potentially disastrous.
  • Reply 103 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Thing is, the 13" widescreen would make the new iBook very similar in terms of overall size to the existing 12". In fact, looking at my iBook as I type this, the amount of space around the bezel could easily be reduced and even with an iSight built in the form factor would likely be smaller than current models.

Yep. Remember it's the diagonal that's measured here. If they keep the same screen height as the 12.1" screen, a 13.3" screen would only be about 11" wide as opposed to 10". If they use a slightly higher res screen and less screen height to fit the camera in then a 1280x800 screen may fit in to the current width case.

I'm hoping they do something like the Sony TX2. Saw one of those a couple of days ago and they're lovely little things. There's a white one which you could almost drop an Apple logo on and you'd not think it was anything other than an Apple product.

http://www.ultranote.com/index.php/c.../view/217/236/

Also, Many people are presuming Apple will use the Core Solo or Duo. Apple doesn't need to. They could use the Celeron M Series. Intel released a 1.7Ghz Celeron M based on the old Dothan at the same time as the Core but they've got them all the way up from 1.2Ghz. And the Celeron M 4xx series is based on the Core Solo clocking in at 1.46 to 1.8Ghz. It has a smaller cache than the Core Solo and a slower bus.

Even the 1.2Ghz Celeron M would give the old G4 in the iBook a run for it's money. Something faster would be nice though as even budget PC laptops aren't that slow.
  • Reply 104 of 233
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://vaio-online.sony.com/sg/vaio/...son/popup.html

lots of configs available from SONY, interesting indeed, let us hope APPLE makes wide options as well

MacBook Pro - 17", 15.4"

MacBook - 13.3"

MacBook Nano - 11.1 or 10"

AND

iPod PDA - 5.0"
  • Reply 105 of 233
    Well I'm at uni in the UK and everyone has iPods. A very select few use their phones as music players, despite most of us having the latest phones, you know why?

The sound quality is crap. Most phones do not have a headphone port (so handsfree sets can be used) and the headphones available are rubbish. Mobile Phone companies are concentrating on universally upgrading everything at once, the cameras, the music playing, txt messaging. Its because of this that the iPod still remains king, and phones will never take over as they're always playing catchup. The sales figures talk for themselves people.
  • Reply 106 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Yes... We are a happy people...

Seriously, I wasn't proposing that the iPod is dead, but I see a surprising number of people, both online and real world that are getting a creative just becuase it's different to the iPods.

If I was buying an MP3, it would be an iPod, simply for iTunes, which I use already with my palm, dragging and dropping songs onto my SD card, but would be great to synchronise stuff.

Then again, I followed a freind around a shopping centre for about half an hour while he was trying to find some white, apple headphones. No one had them, so he brought some nice black Sony's to match his nano.

Wow...that's utterly boring. If you're gonna go different, why not go different *all the way* and buy a CD player or a cassette walkman?
  • Reply 107 of 233
    Quote:

Seriously, I wasn't proposing that the iPod is dead, but I see a surprising number of people, both online and real world that are getting a creative just becuase it's different to the iPods.

There's a number of Windows users I've come across that just won't buy anything from Apple, even iPods. And it's not because of useless features they'll never use like a radio or voice recorder. There's even Windows users who I've convinced to buy Apple kit who then bitch at me for all the little things that aren't like Windows and therefore inferior. The problem generally is that their practices and behaviour is so far ingrained that they have real problems with Apple's simple, minimalistic kit and software. The number of times I've had to explain that "No, there isn't a Wizard, you just drag that from there to here and it just does it" or that you just plug it in and it does it, leads me to believe that some Windows users just like life difficult and go looking for the hard route because that's what they expect. Daft but it happens.

It's sometimes not helped by Apple seemingly hiding stuff in obvious under your nose locations.

One Windows user I was talking to didn't know that you could drag tracks in iTunes into the playlists for on the fly playlists. In Windows he was used to an interface for building playlists with +/- and two windows, or right clicking. He'd not worked out sprung folders either.

But buying Creative just so you're different is like coating yourself in pig manure to stand out. They treat their customers with the worst service I've ever come across with product support dropped as soon as they've moved on to the next product version - something that happens all too often. Creative have just lost the (distant) Number 2 spot in mp3 player sales to Sandisk too.
  • Reply 108 of 233
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Oh? When will people get that the Duo and solo barely differ in price?

Intel Core Duo Processor\tT2300\tDual 1.66 GHz\t$241

Intel Core Solo Processor\tT1300\tSingle 1.66 GHz\t$209

32 dollars more puts it out of the price range? And you do realize that the high end iBook is only $200 less than the low end powerbook, right? I'm not saying they should make ALL iBooks, the duo, but it should at least be available on the pricier models.

32 dollars equates to 120 - 150 dollars at the checkout assuming there are no other associated costs. This may or may not allow Apple to hit their target price points. If it doesn't then it won't happen. Simple.
  • Reply 109 of 233
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Yeah, that worked out real well when Apple got a bunch of bad press and had to replace a bunch of scratched nanos.

Yeah I know; Nano sales just collapsed didn't they?
  • Reply 110 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I'm hoping they do something like the Sony TX2. Saw one of those a couple of days ago and they're lovely little things. There's a white one which you could almost drop an Apple logo on and you'd not think it was anything other than an Apple product.

http://www.ultranote.com/index.php/c.../view/217/236/

I noticed this in the specs:

-ultra slim built-in double layer DVD writer

hmm...why is it that Apple can't put one of those into it's PowerBooks which are (I believe) slightly thicker than the Sony.

On a slightly different note, I saw one of these in person a few days ago and it looked slightly uncomfortable. The person using it had Firefox open and the text on the screen was almost illegible because it was so small.
  • Reply 111 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Wow...that's utterly boring. If you're gonna go different, why not go different *all the way* and buy a CD player or a cassette walkman?

Portable 8-Track anyone?
  • Reply 112 of 233
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

....Anyways, Macbook will probably get dual core at $1500AUD price point, however, if they want to make a $999AUD with single core for education and Mac Mini for laptop kind of experience, they would probably fly out the door.

hi pyriX i think since the current iBooks are AUD$1599 and AUD$2049, perhaps a MacBook Core Solo 13" wide with isight could be priced at somewhere inbetween... dualcore at AUD$1500 is too insane, though it would be nice . i'll just take a stab at AUD$1699 on the MacBook Core Solo 13" wide -- (yes, i am shameless at cross-posting my mockups)

Antione has another version over on the blackbook thread:

http://testphotos.free.fr/blackbook.mov
  • Reply 113 of 233
    Theory: There will be a 15.4-inch MacBook that will be priced and specced between the 13.3-inch widescreen model at $1,299 and the MacBook Pro low-end model at $1,999. Just a thought.
  • Reply 114 of 233
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Thankyou. This is what people don't get. I've an SE p910i phone which has built in mp3 and aac playing even. The card slot allows me to get music on there fairly easily. However, if the phone isn't charged up fully, I've at best 3 hours play time on it. Add in using it as a phone and you can't go more than half a day without having to recharge. It's a bit of a bummer not being able to use the phone because you've drained it listening to music. Not having an mp3 player out the back of nowhere on my bike is an inconvenience. Not having a phone is potentially disastrous.

People forget that the receiver takes a lot of power just sitting around waiting for a call to come in. If you turn it off, then what's the point of having it?

So, if Apple does have their own phone/player, it shouldn't replace the iPods, but supplement them.

How come only a few of us seem to understand that?
  • Reply 115 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

• Reply 116 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I noticed this in the specs:

-ultra slim built-in double layer DVD writer

hmm...why is it that Apple can't put one of those into it's PowerBooks which are (I believe) slightly thicker than the Sony.

On a slightly different note, I saw one of these in person a few days ago and it looked slightly uncomfortable. The person using it had Firefox open and the text on the screen was almost illegible because it was so small.

I think that's what Apple's using in the MacBook Pro.

They're slower though.
  • Reply 117 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I think that's what Apple's using in the MacBook Pro.

They're slower though.

They're 4x and not DL in the MacBookPro. They apparently needed a thinner drive in the MacBook Pro than in the G4 Powerbook. The motherboard and chips presumably take up more room.

edit: The Sony TX2 DVD specs btw

Type \tDual Layer DVD+/-RW

Read Speed \t24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)

Write Speed \t24x (CD) / 2.4x (DVD)

Rewrite Speed \t8x (CD) / 2x (DVD)

So nothing to write home about. The only advantage is the DL writing. It's not a slot loader either, not that that bothers me. Apple's insistence on slot loaders is often why we have to put up with lower spec drives.
  • Reply 118 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

I'm waiting for either the "new" iBook 13.3" or the MacBook Pro version, I own a 15" PowerBook 500MHZ, it's too big & heavy for traveling, I just can't go out without my mac around, that's why I need the small factor of portability.. I almost bought the new iBook but now I'm stuck in the void waiting for the new 12" or 13" versions, I do hope they come out with the 13.3" option, there PC versions are really light & small, but.. they come with windows.. lol...

Should I get the 12" iBook, PowerBook or just wait for the new one's???

I am in the same boat. I am going to use my tax return this year to buy a Mac portable. My advice is to do what I am doing: Hold out until the new iBook replacements come out, and wait to see what Apple will do in the way of a 12 or 13inch MacBook Pro... In the end, you will either get one of the Intel based portables and be happy, or you will get a better buy on one of the PowerPC portables that will drop in price due to the debut of newer machines.
  • Reply 119 of 233
    Originally posted by Cubit

Antione has another version over on the blackbook thread:

http://testphotos.free.fr/blackbook.mov

wow. that's badass. nice animation
  • Reply 120 of 233
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

So nothing to write home about. The only advantage is the DL writing. It's not a slot loader either, not that that bothers me. Apple's insistence on slot loaders is often why we have to put up with lower spec drives.

Out of curiousity, how many non-Apple computers use a slot loading drive? I'm not sure if I care which loading is used, but they seem rare if they exist at all. The tray loading drives generally do seem flimsy, though I don't know if they actually are any more or less reliable.