The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 801 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

So Woodcrest comes out tomorrow and Apple's going to wait to use it until August 7?

I'm just hoping that they will be using it. They can't avoid it if they want to have a two socket machine, as Conroe doesn't support SMP.

But, if the lower machines in the series will use Conroe, perhaps they will wait until Conroe comes out late July so as to intro both at once.

I don't like the idea of them holding back like that, but Jobs likes to make a big splash himself, and the dev conv is just two weeks after Conroe comes out, so who knows?
  • Reply 802 of 946
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    In that case, these Mac Pro should be shipping immediately. No waiting months for systems like everyone had to with the G5 chips.
  • Reply 803 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

In that case, these Mac Pro should be shipping immediately. No waiting months for systems like everyone had to with the G5 chips.

As long as the machines are ready and waiting for them, there shouldn't be a problem.

I believe that the official intro of the chips is a fomality. The manufacturers should have already been given their initial supplies. It's the retail channel that has to wait for the intro.
  • Reply 804 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Tomorrow you'll be able to order a 1U server with Hot Swap drive bays and a Woodcrest CPU for under $2k.

That's not including the second proc but when compared to towers rackmount servers command a premium. I'm fully convinced that Apple can offer Woodcrest in a $2000 Mac Pro.
  • Reply 805 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

So Woodcrest comes out tomorrow and Apple's going to wait to use it until August 7?

"Woodcrest comes out" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Woodcrest should start shipping from Intel to the manufacturers tomorrow.

I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to "come out" with one before the processors even arrive at their door, but I'm sure that would be a good trick.

Apple will have to assemble a few test machines to take this bad boy through the phases, and then they should still have to fine tune their product. So yes I'm thinking waiting for WWDC is their plan of attack. They still have plenty of work to do before they even start rolling these off the assembly lines. By the time that happens it will be WWDC. They may have enough time to have some ready for the actual launch date for a change.

Like I said earlier.

Steve jobs speech:

A few years ago I, along with IBM, promised you 3GHz in a year. That "THREE" years has come and gone.

Today with intel I can happily say 2 dual core 3GHz processors > Shipping Today.
  • Reply 806 of 946
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

"Woodcrest comes out" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Woodcrest should start shipping from Intel to the manufacturers tomorrow.

I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to "come out" with one before the processors even arrive at their door, but I'm sure that would be a good trick.

The processors (a small supply for development) have been available to System developers for some time. Apple, just like other vendors, should be able to announce the machines tomorrow along with the formal announcement from Intel.

For example you can configure a dual woodcrest machine at Dell right now and it will ship 7/11.
  • Reply 807 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

The processors (a small supply for development) have been available to System developers for some time. Apple, just like other vendors, should be able to announce the machines tomorrow along with the formal announcement from Intel.

For example you can configure a dual woodcrest machine at Dell right now and it will ship 7/11.

But they wont. Too bad.
  • Reply 808 of 946
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

But they wont. Too bad.

What makes you so sure they won't announce XServe or a Mac Pro tomorrow ???
  • Reply 809 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

But they wont. Too bad.

Yeah, and they have no excuse. Every other PC manufacturer has a workstation coming out, but Apple still thinks they can screw their customers any way they want without competition.
  • Reply 810 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, and they have no excuse. Every other PC manufacturer has a workstation coming out, but Apple still thinks they can screw their customers any way they want without competition.

I really don't see that Apple is screwing anyone here. All I see is a bunch of screaming children that complain about this and still expect a product that in all probability isn't ready.

The thing I consider important here is the developers. Without them there would be relatively no software. They pay a lot of money to attend WWDC, and Apple tries to make it worth their while making WWDC the best show Apple has yearly. So AFAIAC you guy's can cry all you want about it, but IMO you are no where near as deserving as the people that develop my software.

WWDC 2006 E-ticket ----------Regular Price Early Registration

---------------------------- After June 23 Before June 23

\t \t \t

----------------------------- $1,595--------------$1,295

WWDC 2006 E-ticket and --------$1,995--------------$1,695

ADC Select Membership

A $2,095 value!.

WWDC 2006 E-ticket 5-pack-------$6,380--------------$5,180

5 E-tickets for the price of 4.

ADC Premier Membership

A WWDC E-ticket is included-------$3,500--------------$3,500

with Premier Membership.

Personally I think for what they do and pay to keep up on Mac software development they deserve the best show of the year. And I certainly can wait a few weeks for them.

My 2¢
  • Reply 811 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

They pay a lot of money to attend WWDC, and Apple tries to make it worth their while making WWDC the best show Apple has yearly. So AFAIAC you guy's can cry all you want about it, but IMO you are no where near as deserving as the people that develop my software.

Of course we are. We're a vital piece of the cycle.

Developer creates application.

Customer likes application and purchases funding further growth.

Developer realizes they need more individual help. They send a few developers to WWDC knowing that their Return On Investment will exceed the expensive costs

Customer likes the new features that leveredge knew core OS features and purchases upgrade. We've come full circle.

The main attraction to WWDC are the courses and individual instruction on topics that are important to each developer. While they like announcements and freebies and a geek meet the overarching goal is to improve their product and increase sales. I think Apple does a pretty good job hosting WWDC even without OMG Product Intros. OMGPI
  • Reply 812 of 946
    Quote:

By the way, a workstation at Dell's site lets you configure an optional 2nd processor (for a quad processing system), and from the price of configuring two Woodcrests at 3.0GHz, the system was already over $4,000. Hopefully, Apple will allow us to configure whether or not we want a 2nd processor too.

I don't think Apple is going to let you configure a processor in the way you seem to think this works.

Are you sure that DELLs processor, if you configure it as a single, is a woodcrest? And are you sure that the motherboard for the single configuration has a second "OPEN" space sitting there collecting dust?

I think that apple will have a single processor board in a tower of some sort at some time, but the board will be a designed for a single processor, and it will have a conroe in it. I wouldn't doubt it that if you configure one processor from DELL that you would get a single processor board. Maybe even a different processor (conroe).
  • Reply 813 of 946
    But there will be plenty of FCP/Logic users waiting to jump on a Mac Pro quad (like me for example)
  • Reply 814 of 946
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Meh. 7/11 versus 8/7. I don't see how 4 weeks constitutes "screwing your customers"
  • Reply 815 of 946
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The main attraction to WWDC are the courses and individual instruction on topics that are important to each developer...

Don't forget the afternoon tables filled to the brim with cookies, candies & soda...
  • Reply 816 of 946
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Meh. 7/11 versus 8/7. I don't see how 4 weeks constitutes "screwing your customers"

I doesn't. It's just not the 'get up and go' that we think Apple should have. Hey, Apple has prided themselves with being first in a lot of things, and I would think that being first to bring these processors to market in a product would be something they would want to champion.

By the way, a workstation at Dell's site lets you configure an optional 2nd processor (for a quad processing system), and from the price of configuring two Woodcrests at 3.0GHz, the system was already over $4,000. Hopefully, Apple will allow us to configure whether or not we want a 2nd processor too.

Today is Monday. Tomorrow is Tuesday. Perhaps Apple will announce something related to this processor tomorrow. I know, I know. Wishful thinking. But since it has been pointed out that the Dell system is not available until July 11th, that too, is a Tuesday, and maybe Apple will wait until after the 4th of July to announce new Mac Pro towers. I just can't see them waiting until WWDC. I see WWDC as a venue for a revamped MacBook Pro using Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) processors. But that's my 2¢...
  • Reply 817 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

But there will be plenty of FCP/Logic users waiting to jump on a Mac Pro quad (like me for example)

Have you noticed problems with this forum?
  • Reply 818 of 946
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I doesn't. It's just not the 'get up and go' that we think Apple should have. Hey, Apple has prided themselves with being first in a lot of things, and I would think that being first to bring these processors to market in a product would be something they would want to champion.

I posted a new thread on this basic premise but this is where Apple's true colors will show, perhaps for the very first time.

In the past Apple had the luxury of being the largest and/or only customer for the CPUs it used. This provided Apple with a number of key benefits.

- No info leaked about the CPU

- Apple was always to be FIRST to use any new CPUs

- Apple orders were filled first any other buyers would follow.

With all of those benefits it enabled Apple to look like it was always first out with new hardware using the new 680x0 and later PPC Gx CPUs. Apple had the ability to time it's hardware release to its liking without fear that someone else would steal their thunder by releasing something based on said CPU first and without Apple customers screaming the ______ CPU has been out for X days, weeks or months and the hell is Apple's hardware?!!?!?!

Apple will never have that kind of pull again not while using Intel CPUs anyway. Can Apple keep up with the Jones/Dells? Should Apple? I dunno... but it's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next year.

Dave
  • Reply 819 of 946
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Can Apple keep up with the Jones/Dells? Should Apple?

Dave [/B]

The answer to this seems very obvious to me:

(especially with regard to the apple-premium)

Apple simply cannot afford to be behind the other major desktop manufacturers in their high-end lines (I consider these to be the iMac, the Mac pro and the Macbook pro)

besides this, apple will need to stay ahead of the competition in: design, reliability and ease-of-use. These are the things that made me switch and pay the apple premium over the - same raw computing power but way cheaper - dells of this world.
  • Reply 820 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Nice points both Dave and Murch. It will be interesting to see if the old Apple MO carries forward. A couple weeks won't make much of a difference either way but as Dave points out, Apple now competes, to an extent, with the Dells of the pc world and can't drag their feet getting products to market. Especially as a company that is positioning itself as a nimble innovator.