News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Is anybody else wondering why the hell they didn't use magnetic clips on laptops years ago? I had a g3 ibook a few years back and every day as I fumbled with the latch, I thought why don't they just use a freakin' magnet. Finally, somebody does something about it. Did they use magnets on the macbook pro?
  • Reply 22 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark2005

In Apple's Hot News, they include the E3 Expo event on 10-12 May. That is generally known as a gaming event, and given the status of games on the Mac, Apple's presence does seem a bit odd.

So possibly Apple is planning to release the MacBook either the day before or at the Expo with a simple press release. And then use the gathering at the Expo to show it off, though not as a gaming solution (unless you use Boot Camp).

That's a good point. I had fogotten about that, avid gamer that I'm not.
  • Reply 23 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Is anybody else wondering why the hell they didn't use magnetic clips on laptops years ago? I had a g3 ibook a few years back and every day as I fumbled with the latch, I thought why don't they just use a freakin' magnet. Finally, somebody does something about it. Did they use magnets on the macbook pro?

For the same reason new products come out all the time. Nobody thought of it before.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    matthew yohematthew yohe Posts: 310member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Yes, this latches tech has been arround since the "new" TiPowerbook... For some reason, AI thought apple was going MAGNET CRAZY because they later included it in the iMac to hold the remote.
  • Reply 25 of 148
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

There's also the possibility that the notebooks will be made available in fashionable hues, these people have said.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 148
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Noooooooooooooo!!!!

thanks for that, vader.

my wife loves her bondi blue ibook, i'm sure she'd be happy if her next laptop were also colorful. and less prone to getting crud trapped inside the plastics.
  • Reply 27 of 148
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Here's comparably configured Powerbook vs. iBook

Powerbook

$1,499.00

12.1-inch TFT Display

1.5GHz PowerPC G4

512MB memory

80GB 5400 rpm hard drive

Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics card with 64MB DDR memory

64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory

iBook

$1099.00

12.1-inch TFT Display

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512MB memory

80GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550

32MB DDR video memory

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight speedbump, a dvd burner and a different graphics card. I don't think that's a good deal. So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook. It's priced higher because it's a "pro" machine and the pros will pay more unnecessarily.
  • Reply 28 of 148
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook.

The keyboard is a significant reason why some people prefer the PB over the iBook.

The 12" PB was never attractive enough for me over an iBook because both have 1024x768 displays.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.

After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.

Why? Is there a particular reason that doesn't involve the fact that you are a shareholder? Or do you think the quality would go down a bit as a result? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't mind seeing a lower starting price, but knowing Apple, I really doubt it would happen. I would call it a fantasy.
  • Reply 30 of 148
    pbrpbr Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Powerbook

$1,499.00

[...]

iBook

$1,099.00

[...]

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight [...][/B]

Actually it's 400 extra bucks, but as far as I'm concerned you're absolutely right, though.
  • Reply 30 of 148
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

The keyboard is a significant reason why some people prefer the PB over the iBook.

The 12" PB was never attractive enough for me over an iBook because both have 1024x768 displays.

speaking from an asthetic standpoint I like the PB better, but not enough to pay that much extra, that's why I got my iBook originally.

I think Apple recognizes this, and that's why they dropped it.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Here's comparably configured Powerbook vs. iBook

So basically for an extra 500 bucks you get a slight speedbump, a dvd burner and a different graphics card. I don't think that's a good deal. So I don't really see why so many people are so attached to the 12" powerbook, you're not getting as much bang for your buck as you are with the iBook. It's priced higher because it's a "pro" machine and the pros will pay more unnecessarily.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new consumer unit had integrated graphics. That would be a valid reason for some people to go up a product line.

I woudn't mind paying the small premium for the nicer looking unit, I like the metal look and I don't like white in a computer, and it might project a better image. The Powerbook version is thinner and smaller too. I don't know if I'd pay $400 just for that though.
  • Reply 33 of 148
    Once again, my predictions:

13" MacBook Core Solo

1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo

512 MB of RAM

60 GB HD

Combo drive

13" widescreen display

1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs

$799

13" MacBook Core Duo

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SuperDrive

Same weight, thickness, and display as Core Solo model

$999

15" MacBook Core Duo

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SuperDrive

15" widescreen display (same as 15" MacBook Pro)

1 inch thick and 5 lbs

$1199

All models would feature 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 FireWire 400 port, Intel GMA950 graphics, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, Sudden Motion Sensor, and Front Row with Apple Remote.
  • Reply 34 of 148
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.

After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.

Considering that they will be adding the iSight cam, mag-safe connector, a more expensive 13 widescreen LCD and a more expensive core-duo processor, I'd say chances are extremely slim that the price-point will remain at $999.

Afterall the Mac mini price increased $100.. Expect the MacBook price to increase a minimum of $100 too.
  • Reply 35 of 148
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNtel iNside

13" MacBook Core Solo

1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo

512 MB of RAM

60 GB HD

Combo drive

13" widescreen display

1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs

$799

No way in hell this is possible... First of all the article said all models will include a core-duo processor.. Secondly, the core-duo Mac mini wich costs $799 has the lowest profit margin of any computer Apple has ever sold.. The MacBook costs will be considerably more expensive to build than a mini.. The 13 widescreen LCD alone is an additional $143, plus the iSight cam, mag-safe connector and larger case enclosure, you are looking at a minimum of $1099 for the base-model. I mean, Intel has recently lowered prices on the core-duo processor, but it is still more expensive than the previous generations G4 chip.

Apple is certainly trying to be more price competitive as of late, but we need to be realistic here.. There is absolutely NO WAY to build a MacBook with these specs and still be priced at $799.. It's simply not posssible, unless you expect Apple to lose money on each unit sold and we all know thats not gonna happen! Based on Mac minis pricing, we're looking at $1099 for a base-model MacBook.
  • Reply 36 of 148
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Considering that they will be adding the iSight cam, mag-safe connector, a more expensive 13 widescreen LCD and a more expensive core-duo processor, I'd say chances are extremely slim that the price-point will remain at $999.

Afterall the Mac mini price increased $100.. Expect the MacBook price to increase a minimum of $100 too.

And integrated graphics is going to be in all but perhaps a 'high end' macbook, if at all. People are kidding themselves otherwise.
  • Reply 37 of 148
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

And integrated graphics is going to be in all but perhaps a 'high end' macbook, if at all. People are kidding themselves otherwise.

Agreed, integrated graphics are a given.
  • Reply 38 of 148
    mrkrismrkris Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNtel iNside

13" MacBook Core Solo

1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo

512 MB of RAM

60 GB HD

Combo drive

13" widescreen display

1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs

$799

13" MacBook Core Duo

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SuperDrive

$999

15" MacBook Core Duo

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SuperDrive

15" widescreen display (same as 15" MacBook Pro)

1 inch thick and 5 lbs

$1199

All models would feature 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 FireWire 400 port, Intel GMA950 graphics, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, Sudden Motion Sensor, and Front Row with Apple Remote.

Your predictions were probably as close to what I've had in mind to date. Now, here are my predictions

MacBook Core Duo Basic

13.3" widscreen display

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB of RAM

40 GB HD

32MB ATI Mobility Radeon (whatever is comparable to what was placed in the iBook G3)

Combo drive

1 inch thick and 3.9 lbs

$899

MacBook Core Duo Medium

1.87 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB RAM

60 GB HD

64MB ATI Mobility Radeon (whatever is comparable to what was placed in the iBook G3)

SuperDrive

$1099

MacBook Core Duo High

13.3" widescreen display

1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

1 GB RAM

80 GB HD

128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

SuperDrive DL

1 inch thick and 4.5 lbs

$1499

I realize that the high is pretty close to the 15" MacBook Pro, so I am not completely ruling out the possibility of a Core Solo. I doubt (hope rather) that they chose to not go to the Intel integrated graphics. However, for students, the base Solo and Intel graphics may not be that bad. Apple tends to go towards quality over pulling a product down to fit in the price. Being a student, I'd rather take a hit in the Hard Drive, rather than the graphics card. A solo would be fine for me - I am planning on getting one regardless. All models will have iSight, AirPort Extreme wireless networking, Front Row, Remote and Photobooth. Anyway, we can all guess but we'll find out how it goes soon enough.
  • Reply 39 of 148
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Agreed, integrated graphics are a given.

A month ago i would say: you're right.

Now I think dedicated graphics is a possibility...

The Mac mini is not the computer Apple wants to sell you.

They want you to buy an iMac.

Mac mini is the Mac soso (It's in the name: Mac mini )

The MacBook is a "real" Mac.

Anyway... I hope.
  • Reply 40 of 148
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    I prefer proportional displays. It makes presentations a lot easier because I can use true mirroring (think about native resolution on the built-in LCD versus non-native). I have a 14" iBook and love it. I am probably upping to a MacBook Pro here soon, but I would consider a 14" unit if it came out.

I wonder if the low-end MacBook will also be "hindered" at the factory to boot slower than the Pro model, much in the same way that iBooks supposedly are.