News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's not spin. But if you can't bear the idea than any Apple product isn't doing just "great", then you will spin it yourself. After all, no one had any idea that the sales of the cube, which was hailed, and advertised heavily by Apple, were so poor that Apple would feel compelled to discontinue it. Only after that happened did we find out that they had sold only 50,000 units a quarter.

I'm certainly not saying that here. But, the Mini has been described as a modest sucess. It is outsold by the iMac, confounding the predictions.

If the predictions were that it would outsell the iMac, then how can "stronger than expected" be seen as "Not greatly enthusiastic" except as "spin"? Because of only "relatively solid demand" at the more PC oriented CompUSA chain?

Amazon top sellers - Category Computers:

Apple iBook #1

Apple Mac Book Pro #2

Sony VIAO Notebook #3

Apple Mac Book Pro #4

Apple Mac Mini Core Duo #5

Apple iMac 20" #6.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...721110-9938206

Amazon top sellers - Category Desktops:

Apple Mac Mini Core Duo #1

Apple iMac 20" #2

Apple iMac 17" #3

4-5 Books

Apple Mac Mini Core Solo #6

7 Book

HP Pavillion Media Center (AMD 64) #8

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...rent-id=541966

Quote:

What you don't seem to be getting, is that sales numbers from CompUsa will reflect sales numbers anywhere else.

You mean like Amazon?

Quote:

A "stronger than expected" doesn't tell us anything about absolute numbers. If Apple had been selling about 225,000 units a quarter, the estimated number before the switch, and the expected numbers were 175,000, a significant drop, but ended up being 190,000, then they would be "stronger than expected", but still disappointing.

When the report is that intel mac sales are strong and mini sales are higher than expected given that the prior mini was a good performer that would indicate that expectations would not be so low as to be dissapointing if met.

We had a similar article about this time last year where analysis from PiperJaffray indicated that mac mini shipments exceeded expecations when they blew their estimates by a large margin (138K vs 50K).

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1000

Do you believe UBS would estimate closer to the 138K number or the 50K number? Especially if the general "prediction" was that they would outsell iMacs?

Why defend a throwaway statement that is now shown to be untrue by spinning positive news as possibly bad? Did the word disspointing appear in any of the articles that quote the UBS analysis?

Because it hurts the assertion that the market wont tolerate a >$999 MacBook? When the iPod is both a good music player and a status symbol? There can also be rebates, promos and edu discounts for back-to-school purchases to take the bite out of a higher MSRP.

Vinea
  • Reply 142 of 148
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    This little squabble is really...um...fascinating.
  • Reply 143 of 148
    officerdigbyofficerdigby Posts: 343member
    Come on Apple let's be havin yer new iBooks.

I can't wait to start bitching about them in a new thread. LOL.
  • Reply 144 of 148
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

This little squabble is really...um...fascinating.

Every squabble on the internet is little.

Vinea
  • Reply 145 of 148
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
  • Reply 146 of 148
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    I just read the entire thread and only this thread, so if my thoughts have been posted else where, so be it.

My thought is that the mac mini Core Duo (799$) will get a price drop of 50$ to 100$, so it could be possible for Apple to release the macbooks starting at 999$.

My thought is based on some posters saying that Apple wouldn't release a macbook at 999 because of the mac mini being at 799 and the price drop of intel processors in may.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

See you back here in a few days. I love a high noon showdown.

Well Sir, I hate to say "I told you so," but, I told you so!

The MacBook starts at $1099, just as I predicted.
  • Reply 148 of 148
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Well Sir, I hate to say "I told you so," but, I told you so!

The MacBook starts at $1099, just as I predicted.

Humble pie, gotta love it! You called it right and I missed it! Now the secret is out! I am not an AppleInsider afterall!!

You got me!!