News Brief: Apple ramps MacBook production

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Rumors that Apple Computer may finally be on the verge of introducing its first consumer Intel notebooks are true, AppleInsider has learned.



Development of the 13-inch widescreen portables wrapped up last month. Ever since, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been waiting for the signal from its marketing division to begin manufacturing ramp and rollout procedures.



According to well-placed sources, Apple began building the new notebooks -- expected to be called MacBooks -- sometime last week. It's believed that Asustek is handling production.



Each MacBook is expected to sport Core Duo processors from Intel Corp and pack novelties such as a completely magnetic latching system, built in iSight video camera, and MagSafe power adapter. Additionally, each MacBook is expected to come bundled with Apple's Front Row and PhotoBooth software applications.



People who have seen prototypes of the much anticipated Apple consumer notebook have described it as looking like a smaller version of the company's MacBook Pro, only clad in iMac white. There's also the possibility that the notebooks will be made available in fashionable hues, these people have said.



The 13-inch MacBook will succeed Apple's iBook line of notebooks, replacing both the 12- and 14-inch offerings, AppleInsider has been told.



An official announcement remains on track for "this month" with the possibility that Apple will hold a press conference to usher in the notebooks next Tuesday.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 148
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Oh how I will miss the 12" powerbook - IMHO the best of the PB offerrings for the mobile warrior.....
  • Reply 2 of 148
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???



    2. I think the iBook>Macbook changes will be like the DS>DS Lite changes: thinner, sharper corners, less clunk. And I'll want one.
  • Reply 3 of 148
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,590member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???





    Because in today's world the Business Geeks boss the nerds. Pretty sad when you think about it...
  • Reply 4 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,588member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    An official announcement remains on track for "this month" with the possibility that Apple will hold a press conference to usher in the notebooks next Tuesday.



    Just a thought but if there was a press conference next tuesday, wouldn't the press need to be invited\
  • Reply 5 of 148
    Just visualizing this computer makes me want one even more. I can't wait to see what it looks like.
  • Reply 6 of 148
    omg thank god i sold my ibook yesterday!
  • Reply 7 of 148
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,125member
    Don't they know that 13(") is an unlucky number?
  • Reply 8 of 148
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,277member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider



    The 13-inch MacBook will succeed Apple's iBook line of notebooks, replacing both the 12- and 14-inch offerings, AppleInsider has been told.





    But the big question is:

    Will it replace the 12" Powerbook as well? Merge pb12 and iBook into one?

    Or is the rumoured "Mac Book Thin" gonna take over the 12"? Or is a smaller MacBook Pro also in the works?



    PowerBook 12" is the best notebook ever by Apple in my opinion. If the new intel iBook will have a graphics card that can drive two displays, as well as no too significant tradeoffs when it comes to other specs, I think this one will replace the pb12 as well. And by doing so, Apple's new consumer laptop line will gain more kudos in the "post consumer" world.



    The previous iBook was a little too "consumer" after all. Questionable display performance and squeeky plastic sounds when you adjust the display etc. iBook was more like what iPod Shuffle is to the iPod lineup. I hope the new one will move up a step.
  • Reply 9 of 148
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    1. Why was manufacturing waiting on marketing???



    Because marketing makes decisions about product announcement and release.
  • Reply 10 of 148
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    let's just hope that excessive heat/whining/whatever issues do not plague this model. I foresee many students purchasing these, including me. I don't want to suffer through school with returning it for repair & whatnot.
  • Reply 11 of 148
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    iMac white sounds nice. That means it would have the clear plastic polymer over the white color vs. the plain white on today's iBooks. Hoping this is true. I can't stand the iBook shell.
  • Reply 12 of 148
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 564member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    Just a thought but if there was a press conference next tuesday, wouldn't the press need to be invited\



    Stop confusing us with logic.



    Anyway, this sounds like a great notebook to replace an old G3 iBook around here. Hopefully the base model will be $999 or less.



    Any ideas if we'll get a (not so super anymore) superdrive?
  • Reply 13 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aplnub

    Because in today's world the Business Geeks boss the nerds. Pretty sad when you think about it...



    And, in this company, Jobs is the biggest Business Geek of them all. He makes the decision.



    Does anybody here doubt that?
  • Reply 14 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by palegolas

    But the big question is:

    Will it replace the 12" Powerbook as well? Merge pb12 and iBook into one?

    Or is the rumoured "Mac Book Thin" gonna take over the 12"? Or is a smaller MacBook Pro also in the works?



    PowerBook 12" is the best notebook ever by Apple in my opinion. If the new intel iBook will have a graphics card that can drive two displays, as well as no too significant tradeoffs when it comes to other specs, I think this one will replace the pb12 as well. And by doing so, Apple's new consumer laptop line will gain more kudos in the "post consumer" world.



    The previous iBook was a little too "consumer" after all. Questionable display performance and squeeky plastic sounds when you adjust the display etc. iBook was more like what iPod Shuffle is to the iPod lineup. I hope the new one will move up a step.




    It's funny, but I know a number of engineers, who over the last several years have moved to the Mac. Most of them, practical people that they are, bought a 12" PB.
  • Reply 15 of 148
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:



    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    $999 MackBook

    13.3" Widescreen

    1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

    512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

    40GB 4200rpm HD

    Combo Drive

    Intel GMA950 64MB shared

    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

    Built in iSight

    Apple Remote



    $1299 MacBook

    13.3" Widescreen

    1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

    512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

    60GB 5400rpm HD

    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

    Intel GMA950 64MB shared

    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

    Built in iSight

    Apple Remote



    $1499 MacBook

    13.3" Widescreen

    1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

    512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

    80GB 5400rpm HD

    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

    Built in iSight

    Apple Remote



    I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar

    Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.
  • Reply 16 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:







    I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar

    Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.




    I just hope that they maintain the $999 number.



    After all of the talk here, and elsewhere, about Intel iBooks going for $899, and even $799, I just want them to stay where they are.
  • Reply 17 of 148
    miriam001miriam001 Posts: 8member
    MACKBOOK!

    thats the one i want



    Quote:

    Originally posted by ecking

    Once again I'm gonna paste my predictions:







    I even orignally said that I thought the macbook pro and macbook designs were going to be very similiar

    Just so everyone knows I said this wayyyyy back.




  • Reply 18 of 148
    dmwogandmwogan Posts: 36member
    As an engineering student, I do have to say that a number of pc users switched over and bought 12" powerbooks. Its just the most practical computer. THe only complaint is that solidworks and other modeling software are not for os x. well, that and an os x native version of matlab would be nice...maybe someday. I don't know what the future of the 12" powerbook is, but I sure love mine.



    David





    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It's funny, but I know a number of engineers, who over the last several years have moved to the Mac. Most of them, practical people that they are, bought a 12" PB.



  • Reply 19 of 148
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'm going to reiterate my own predictions. I still think they're plausible (though probably not perfect).



    1.66 GHz Core Solo
    • 13.3" 1280x800 display

    • 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz RAM

    • 60 GB 5400 RPM hard drive

    • GMA950 graphics

    • Combo drive

    • $999

    1.66 GHz Core Duo
    • 13.3" 1280x800 display

    • 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz RAM

    • 80 GB 5400 RPM hard drive

    • 64 MB GeForce Go 7300 graphics

    • 8X Superdrive DL

    • $1499

    I'm sure that price gap will seem huge for some people, but Apple will likely need to cover two markets at once with the MacBook: the school market, which is usually budget-conscious (amongst both faculty and students), as well as the mid-range that wants something closer to a mobile iMac than a Mac mini.



    Before anyone asks, there are certain differences I think are entirely possible: the base price could be higher ($1099, for instance), the base CPU could be slower, and so forth. But I think it's reasonable to assume that the MacBook has to be the "all things to all men" laptop, and has to be priced accordingly.
  • Reply 20 of 148
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    In Apple's Hot News, they include the E3 Expo event on 10-12 May. That is generally known as a gaming event, and given the status of games on the Mac, Apple's presence does seem a bit odd.



    So possibly Apple is planning to release the MacBook either the day before or at the Expo with a simple press release. And then use the gathering at the Expo to show it off, though not as a gaming solution (unless you use Boot Camp).
Sign In or Register to comment.