Mossberg: Apple working on cellphone, media hub

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

Mossberg is the source of all Apple rumors.

Mossberg is Rolo?!?!?!
  • Reply 62 of 104
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    One of these days, I'd love to see Mossberg's column consist of, in great big type, just: "I'm making plastics now!"
  • Reply 63 of 104
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

He likes Apple stuff when it is done right, but I don't think he is biased. Did you read what he wrote about the Mighty Mouse?

He absolutely panned it:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050804.html

Sure, but I think JeffDM is essentially right: any 'journalist' who is (routinely?) leaked information from the marketing department of one of the companies whose products he is ostensibly evaluating is highly suspect in my book.

I love many Apple products and I'm certainly biased, but I expect a journalist/reviewer not to be. At least not in his/her role as a journalist.

Wasn't it just last year that somebody from The Today Show or Good Morning America exposed as being paid to promote the products he was 'evaluating'? Makes journalism a sham.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

He likes Apple stuff when it is done right, but I don't think he is biased.

Well new definition of biased

• Reply 65 of 104
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I think Mossberg is an excellent tech journo.

Let's remember that he isn't reporting on foreign affairs here as well. They are just pieces of tech.

FWIW, he was spot on about the iMac, and is the only journo I have read who saw it so clearly for what it was and is.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Quote:

He likes Apple stuff when it is done right, but I don't think he is biased. Did you read what he wrote about the Mighty Mouse?

He absolutely panned it:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050804.html

Let's face it, Mossberg is a dedicated Apple fanboy. Period. But he

particularily disliked the "Mighty Mouse" because of its

design flaws he claims to have discovered.

Well, actually he is talking utter rubbish:

Quote:

Microsoft's new model is cordless, like most modern, premium mice. Apple's Mighty Mouse is tethered to the computer with a cord, like most low-end models.

A premium mice does not necessarily feature BT. Bad journalist.

He is lumping together a lot of different things.

Quote:

As with all of Apple's mice in recent years, the Mighty Mouse has no visible buttons. The entire top surface of the shiny white mouse operates as a giant button. In single-button mice, this works fine and is kind of cool. But it makes it hard to do a right-click. So Apple built touch sensors into the Mighty Mouse that detect whether you are pressing its left or right side.

Macintosh fan sites on the Web are already hailing this as another of Apple's brilliant design coups. It's not. In my tests, I found that the design makes right-clicking slower and clumsier than on a typical Microsoft or Logitech mouse with real buttons.

I can't hold it back anymore, but is he a disabled person?

(I don't know anybody else who's got issues with

the MM.

Quote:

The scrolling function on the Apple mouse is also somewhat compromised in the name of design. Instead of the tried and tested scroll wheel, Apple embedded a tiny "scroll ball" in the top of the Mighty Mouse. It allows you to scroll vertically, horizontally and even diagonally. It looks cool, but I found it inferior to a scroll wheel and could never get it to work diagonally.

It is the next best invention since click wheel. Seriously.

I don't understand this man.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Gorgeous. Yeah i second that. If this rumored iPhone ever will be

released than it will pick up the most successful feature of he iPod.

--> click wheel

The click wheel is the most important invention since

spoon and fork. IMHO

Well since it seems like you like swiss army knife products like a possible iphone wouldn't the most important invention since spoon and fork be the SPORK also known as the FOON?
  • Reply 68 of 104
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

the MM.

A lot and I mean a lot of people don't agree with your rebuttal. Tons of people hate the lift-left-finger right click and think the scroll ball is too tiny and gets dirty too easy which stops it from working. The side buttons have also been mentioned as both too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Plenty of people other than mossberg have found problems with the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Add me to that list.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

A lot and I mean a lot of people don't agree with your rebuttal. Tons of people hate the lift-left-finger right click and think the scroll ball is too tiny and gets dirty too easy which stops it from working. The side buttons have also been mentioned as both too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Basically my issues too, though I like the general idea of the MM, just that there were maybe three design decisions went horribly wrong with the unit.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Quote:

Yeah, I just bought a Logitech mouse that <gasp!> isn't cordless. I hate changing/buying/charging batteries unnecessarily. The mouse is right next to your keyboard, anyway--I never understood the need for a wireless mouse.

Quote:

the MM.

Well, I was skeptical after reading the initial reports of the MM, but I figured I'd try it and if I didn't like it I'd return it and get the Logitech.

Let's just say I ended up returning it. Right-clicking wasn't seamless for me (I'm a big context menu person), but even worse was that trackball thingie. It was too small for me.

When I did return it, the woman at the Apple store seemed almost apologetic. Apparently they got a lot of returns, at least initially.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

the MM.

Complaints against the MM are farily common. It seems there's always good sized complaint thread in the current hardware forum. I am surprised you'd resort to such an insulting claim. Frankly, the number of people praising the Mighty Mouse as the next best thing appear to be the tiniest minority compared to those that had them but hate them or those that had significant complaints.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

I think Mossberg is an excellent tech journo.

Let's remember that he isn't reporting on foreign affairs here as well. They are just pieces of tech.

How is evaluating products any less serious than reporting on foreign affairs?

Consumers' Union (Consumer Reports) made an industry out of it.

Technology reporting affects billions of dollars in corporate & consumer purchases, the stock valuation of Apple, Dell, and other giant corporations, and--ultimately--the jobs of thousands of human beings.

It has a very large impact on society and should be as unbiased as foreign or domestic affairs reporting.

What if Mossberg changes his agenda at some point and becomes vigilantly anti-Apple at some point? Is that any fairer?
  • Reply 74 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

... I am surprised you'd resort to such an insulting claim. Frankly, the number of people praising the Mighty Mouse as the next best thing appear to be the tiniest minority compared to those that had them but hate them or those that had significant complaints.

Sorry for that, i apologize. By no means i meant it in an

insulting way. I just couldn't stretch that anybody could

have troubles using the MM. That is it.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

the MM.

You can't seem to make up your mind. either he's a fanboy, when he praises something, or he's talking complete rubbish when he doesn't.

Most people haven't been enamored of the MM. It isn't particularly wonderful. Many people have stated that. I don't like it at all. My daughter does.

Be consistent yourself, before panning him.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

One of these days, I'd love to see Mossberg's column consist of, in great big type, just: "I'm making plastics now!"

• Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

How is evaluating products any less serious than reporting on foreign affairs?

Are you really asking that question?
  • Reply 78 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

Are you really asking that question?

The rest of my post--which you didn't quote--pretty much answers your question.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    /trashed by k_munic/
  • Reply 80 of 104
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

/trashed by k_munic/

wha?