News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

Comments

• Reply 161 of 210
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Because waiting for a particular MONTH for that particular Tuesday is an irksome delay! And, why does it have to be a Tuesday anyway?

No clue why they choose Tuesday. I don't get waiting for a particular month though if you're complaining about random small launch events that don't occur in the old Jan/July Apr/Sept time table.

It's Tuesday for the same reason that most companies launch new products on Tuesdays - Inventory management.

In Apple's case, Weekly reports from all distributors, resellers and stores are tabulated over the weekend. They are reviewed on Monday. If the old product numbers are low enough, the new product is launched on Tuesday. If the old product numbers are not low enough, the launch is put off one week, the numbers reviewed and a decision made at that later time.

Ever see an outlet store called Tuesday Morning? They get their new products in on Tuesday mornings. It's a retail thing, not an Apple thing.

Nothing prohibits them from launching any day they want, but their inventory reviews are structured, and they usually launch based on inventory of old product.
  • Reply 162 of 210
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have to say right now that I have doubts that Apple will release anything at this press event. It's merely an opening of a "Major" Apple store. Maybe a new iPod at the most, but the NY Apple store has had more sales, and just plain people through the door than anywhere. Opening a second store in NY is a grand idea, and it will obviously be another giant of a store, which is why it deserves it's own press event.
  • Reply 163 of 210
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    ~48 hours to press event

~72 hours to opening of store
  • Reply 164 of 210
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

~48 hours to press event

~72 hours to opening of store

1 day to ready your article, and pictures for your paper on opening morning. Just how grand of an opening can Apple muster with this? Probably a big one. I still don't expect another product announcment. MacBook, and MBP were already released today. Again, nothing more than an iPod IMO if even that.
  • Reply 165 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

It's Tuesday for the same reason that most companies launch new products on Tuesdays - Inventory management.

In Apple's case, Weekly reports from all distributors, resellers and stores are tabulated over the weekend. They are reviewed on Monday. If the old product numbers are low enough, the new product is launched on Tuesday. If the old product numbers are not low enough, the launch is put off one week, the numbers reviewed and a decision made at that later time.

Ever see an outlet store called Tuesday Morning? They get their new products in on Tuesday mornings. It's a retail thing, not an Apple thing.

Nothing prohibits them from launching any day they want, but their inventory reviews are structured, and they usually launch based on inventory of old product.

Inventories have nothing to do with product announcements. You will have to show that "most companies" launch their products on Tuesday, and why.

Most product intro's that I can remember have been on either Monday, or Friday.
  • Reply 166 of 210
    Well, it turned out new MacBooks have been announced on Tuesday. Those with the "Tuesday launch" camp win
  • Reply 167 of 210
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Melgross,

Why don't you call Ron Johnson, Apple's retail director, and ask him. He's the one who told me, and since his whole career has been in retail, I believe him.

Whilst there are some arse-talkers on this board, I am not one of them and don't particularly like the insinuation. Also, please note that this is a RETAIL phenomenon. I'm not talking about E3 announcements or Macworld announcements. I'm talking about the general, real world product-to-store announcements that go on in the retail world.

If you'd like further clarification, my fee is $300 per hour for inane research.

Have a great day.
  • Reply 168 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Melgross,

Why don't you call Ron Johnson, Apple's retail director, and ask him. He's the one who told me, and since his whole career has been in retail, I believe him.

Whilst there are some arse-talkers on this board, I am not one of them and don't particularly like the insinuation. Also, please note that this is a RETAIL phenomenon. I'm not talking about E3 announcements or Macworld announcements. I'm talking about the general, real world product-to-store announcements that go on in the retail world.

I can't help but think you two are talking about two different things, day of week for announcing a new product, and day of week of actual product release. A lot of products hit the streets on Tuesdays, almost all videos do anyway. I don't remember any other particular company announces an upcomming release on any particular day. What makes Apple a little different is that they often announce and release on the same day so Tuesdays it is.
  • Reply 169 of 210
    Quote:

Melgross,

If you'd like further clarification, my fee is $300 per hour for inane research.

Have a great day.

As Jeff has said, What you are saying is different from what I've been saying.

The question is when they announce new products. That has nothing to do with inventory control. I was a manufacturer for a number of years, I know all about inventory control, we had that at my lab as well.

But, often when Apple announces a product, they say that it won't be available for days, weeks, or even a month or two. Clearly, inventory control has nothing to do with that announcement (except for the expected delivery date).

And, your fee is much too low.
  • Reply 170 of 210
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    I was told in a marketing class a while back a reason for Tuesday lanuachs. Here goes.

Monday -- first day of the work week everyone busy lots of news from weekend.

Tuesday -- News Slows down people settled into things, more likely to take it in.

Wednesday -- Middle of the week

Thursday -- Day before friday thinking of weekend.

Friday -- Crunch to get things done, day before weekend.

Saturday -- Slow news day good time to sneak things in.

Sunday -- can't remember

What the teacher said was Tuesday is a stable day becuase it's not the day after the weekend, or the middle of the week.. well I hope you get the idea. I'm sure some disagree but that's how it was explained to the class.
  • Reply 171 of 210
    The downside is now Steve's press conference has got to be more than just "here's the new glass cube NYC store. go nuts."
  • Reply 172 of 210
    BUT NEW MACBOOKS!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH w000000000000000000000000000t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!
  • Reply 173 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The downside is now Steve's press conference has got to be more than just "here's the new glass cube NYC store. go nuts."

But, is it confirmed that he will even be there?
  • Reply 174 of 210
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Possible iMac upgrades?

What I would really love would be the introduction of a new Midrange tower: iMac specs, no screen.

Unlikely, but I can dream.

Okay, screw it, he'll intro new iPods, nothing more.
  • Reply 175 of 210
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Possible iMac upgrades?

What I would really love would be the introduction of a new Midrange tower: iMac specs, no screen.

Unlikely, but I can dream.

Okay, screw it, he'll intro new iPods, nothing more.

Okay, call me crazy?

What if this is gonna be the re-introduction of the Cube?!?!

A headless Core Duo Mac with SLI (or CrossFire) capabilities, anyone??!?

Think about it? The Mac? Yeah, just plain Mac? About the size of the original Cube, or a SGI O2, or the original Macintosh, even?!

And that would give a third product that would benefit from the forthcoming Cinema Displays with built-in iSights? (Mac mini, Mac & MacPro, duh?!)

I think I am feeling something that could either be a clear cube with awesome internal packaging (like a sweet mod case, but from the factory), or even something that borrows from the iPod HiFi design-wise, and would probably have a built-in iPod dock like the HiFi?

;^p
  • Reply 176 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Okay, call me crazy?

Think about it? The Mac? Yeah, just plain Mac? About the size of the original Cube, or a SGI O2, or the original Macintosh, even?!

And that would give a third product that would benefit from the forthcoming Cinema Displays with built-in iSights? (Mac mini, Mac & MacPro, duh?!)

I think I am feeling something that could either be a clear cube with awesome internal packaging (like a sweet mod case, but from the factory), or even something that borrows from the iPod HiFi design-wise, and would probably have a built-in iPod dock like the HiFi?

;^p

What do you mean? Introduce the Cube inside the Cube?

I'm getting lightheaded!
  • Reply 177 of 210
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Okay, call me crazy?

;^p

Okay, I gotta reply to myself now?!

After my last post, it hit me?

Think original Macintosh, with the built-in carrying handle?

But with the iPod HiFi design style?

Now add my FAVORITE unreleased/unannounced Apple product:

Quote:

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

Mac OS X 10.5

iLife '06

iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

And imagine that product as an optional device that can either stand alone as an Apple uber UMPC, or pop into the front of the new headless Mac, thereby making said new headless Mac look a lot like a modernized/revised original '80s era classic Macintosh?!

Pop it out, it becomes the handheld remote control for your Mac, which pipes to a 42" Apple branded HD flat panel?

With the extra space provided by the roomy Macintosh classic inspired chassis, one could have room for a few extra HDDs?

Maybe even Apple's answer to the media device??!?

Dream with me folks!

;^p
  • Reply 178 of 210
    Quote:

Okay, I gotta reply to myself now?!

After my last post, it hit me?

Think original Macintosh, with the built-in carrying handle?

But with the iPod HiFi design style?

Now add my FAVORITE unreleased/unannounced Apple product:

And imagine that product as an optional device that can either stand alone as an Apple uber UMPC, or pop into the front of the new headless Mac, thereby making said new headless Mac look a lot like a modernized/revised original '80s era classic Macintosh?!

Pop it out, it becomes the handheld remote control for your Mac, which pipes to a 42" Apple branded HD flat panel?

With the extra space provided by the roomy Macintosh classic inspired chassis, one could have room for a few extra HDDs?

Maybe even Apple's answer to the media device??!?

Dream with me folks!

;^p

Good try! These days, anything is possible.
  • Reply 179 of 210
    Nice stuff your smokin' there, MacRonin...

Melgross, don't encourage him...

Jeez, Steve better show up, and there better be new products. Not just for our sanity but for the sake of press and good Apple PR!!!
  • Reply 180 of 210

Okay, call me crazy?A headless Core Duo Mac with SLI (or CrossFire) capabilities, anyone??!?

You're crazy