Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 141 of 440
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Melgross, not trying to start a fight here, but seriously, it seems like you will say anything other than admitting that you were wrong?

You can post information that directly contradicts his statements and he'll still never admit to being wrong.

Like how Mini sales are poor, sales of Apple computers constantly fell after Jobs' return, etc...

Frankly, if you are an edu buyer looking at 10K units MSRP has very little bearing on the price you pay. You will not be paying $1M more than a similarly spec'd machine from Dell which as near as I can tell is the Latitude D520:

14.1" display, GMA950, Core Duo 1.83, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, BlueTooth. $1350 with edu discount in qty 1.

Vinea
  • Reply 142 of 440
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

You can post information that directly contradicts his statements and he'll still never admit to being wrong.

I have to agree with you, this is the second time I've called him on being wrong and he somehow tries to twist the information to make it appear that he was right all along.. He'd definitely make a good lawyer! (no offense, Melgross)
  • Reply 143 of 440
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think this is a small number of people. The only time I've ever burned a DVD is to make a Linux install disc. I don't really see what's the point of burning DVDs unless you are making video, which most folks use the internet to deliver these days.

I'm constantly backing up all my DVDs and keeping the burned copies at the TV where the grandkids don't destroy the originals. I also don't feel so greedy now that I can loan a DVD to my family, before I had a rule, DVDs never left the house. I think archiving will become more and more popular. I've done it for years with my CDs now with my movies. Very nice.
  • Reply 144 of 440
    Quote:

[i]I'd like to get rid of it, but don't want to spend any money on Virtual PC or a non-OEM version of XP Pro. (I only have the OEM CD that came with the laptop).[/B]

I wish there was a way that the online vendors who are now preloading BootCamp and XP (for a fee of course) could figure out how to load Parallels virtual product and an OEM version of XP and make it less expensive then us doing it because they work out a bulk purchase deal.
  • Reply 145 of 440
    pavelpavel Posts: 6member
    I'm going to white one with superdrive

but (i know that this is not the correct thread) I want to buy video iPod immediately (30G white - so ideal combination for travelling also with my white PSP and this new MacBook) - question is - when we could expect the new iPods??? I don't want to buy one tommorow and on day or two Steve will unvail the fully new ones...
  • Reply 146 of 440
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

WTF - 5.2 pounds??! What are they thinking?!

This is a pound heavier than the G4 12" PowerBook. I thought the whole idea behind switching to Intel was to conserve size and power.

This is a major disappointment, and won't sell so well here in Japan where people predominantly use public transportation and actually have to CARRY their laptops.

1 lb makes or breaks your ability to carry a laptop onto a public transport. Ever thought about exercise?
  • Reply 147 of 440
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pavel

but (i know that this is not the correct thread) I want to buy video iPod immediately (30G white - so ideal combination for travelling also with my white PSP and this new MacBook) - question is - when we could expect the new iPods??? I don't want to buy one tommorow and on day or two Steve will unvail the fully new ones...

Wait.
  • Reply 148 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pavel

You're right, wrong thread... No one knows for sure when new iPods will arrive, but my best guess would be around Sep or Oct, before the holiday shopping season begins.
  • Reply 149 of 440
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I don't think so. its 667mhz pc5300 so-dimm and your G4 takes PC2700 DDR.

If AsusTek are developing these motherboards it doesn't surprise me on the pc5300 memory. I just configured a barebones tower for a linux dev box with an Intel 805 D that supports 1GigE, 4Gig 667Mhz RAM, Intel 945G (950DMA) graphics,etc.

I put in 2 1gig Crucial sticks and configured X for 256MB of RAM and it's very snappy.

I assume that Apple's Quartz server will allocate the RAM for you and when I upgrade I'll check it out.

I'm still waiting on the the PowerMac G5 replacement.
  • Reply 150 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Well, I guess there is the extra 12 pixels all along the bottom! That's almost enough for the dock...

First of all, it's an extra 32 pixels, not twelve, and in a 1280x800 screen, vs. 1024x768 of current iBook, that's an extra 237,568 pixels.
  • Reply 151 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by booisgolden

i used to have a tangerine ibook, and from what i recall, there was no diff in the specs for the diff colors (i miss that one soooo much!).

My wife still uses her original blueberry iBook every day. I often enjoy the freedom of walking around the house wirelessly with it. I like the old tiolet lid personally to. That black MacBook is causing me to reach for the debit card, but dang it I'm saving up for the MB Pro.
  • Reply 152 of 440
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Space wasting? What, the IR? The widescreen?

This thing is only slightly wider than the old 12". If you want something smaller, you really want a completely new model, not a rehash of the small powerbooks.

Which begs the question, when will apple redesign the MBPro, since it is really just a rehash of the PB with an intel processor?
  • Reply 153 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Now that it supports an external display without just mirroring, I wonder if I could run it with the lid closed using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Thoughts?

More then likely, but why would you not want the dual monitor setup? I have it at home and work and it's SO nice having all my tool windows ALL open on the smaller screen. You work so much more efficently.
  • Reply 154 of 440
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    200 bucks or not, the black model is very tempting. We've been white for so long...
  • Reply 155 of 440
    Does anyone know if the MacBook will power a 30" inch display at 1920*1200 resolution?
  • Reply 156 of 440
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Does anyone know if the MacBook will power a 30" inch display at 1920*1200 resolution?

Dual link DVI is not supported so the 30" screen is out.
  • Reply 157 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Dual link DVI is not supported so the 30" screen is out.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wasn't certain.
  • Reply 158 of 440
    Can I assume the RAM that the MacBooks come with isn't soldered in? Otherwise, everything y'all are saying about getting 2 1GB sticks would be pointless given the 2GB limit.

Would DIY RAM installation void the warranty on one of these puppies?
  • Reply 159 of 440
    mazzymazzy Posts: 53member
    WHAT'S WITH THE PREMUM PRICE FOR BLACK!!??

\ WHAT'S WITH THE PREMUM PRICE FOR BLACK!!??
  • Reply 160 of 440
    xhuixhui Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

What's missing that doesn't replace the powerbook? Integrated graphics? What, so you can play first person shooters as part of your "pro" work? This is a killer machine and a big improvement over BOTH machines it's replacing.

hey don't get me wrong, the MB is a great product! i'm just having a x8 SuperDrive, 80GB, 1.25GB ram n a slightly lighter lappie that doesn't really warrant me an immediate upgrade that's all.

like i said, personal choice n opinion..