Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 440
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Looks excellent. Waiting for Merom is getting harder every day. With the black model hopes for a 12 in MBP are fading fast. Why no 1.6ghz model for 999? That's my only gripe.

Wow, 99 posts already.

I hate commenting without reading them all first, but it's all too much for right now!

But, I do have to say that I agree with you.

The people who are claiming that their predictions were correct in saying that it would start at $1099, were still wrong, in a sense.

No one seriously expected a 1.83GHz bottom end model!

This goes to show that if they wanted to, they could have done it for $999. They really should have had 1.67, and 1.83GHz models instead.

This is going to impact the MBP. Not a good thing. That's why the market has reacted badly to this. $1099 is too high, and the 2GHz model will impact the sales of the 2GHz MBP.
  • Reply 102 of 440
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

notebook ram comes in so-dimms which is way more expensive than regular dimms

Yep. And the mini uses that notebook ram as well. Is there a difference in the ram, or does apple just charge more if it goes into a laptop?
  • Reply 103 of 440
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gloss

It's Matte black. If it were shiny (and they'd fixed the scratch issue) I might have sprung for it, but as is I'll save my $200.

Right, I just took a look at one of the photo galleries that are cropping up.

To which I say, "Hallelujah!" Glossy would be fine for a black iMac, but for a portable matte has it all over gloss.

I'm actually heartened that Apple had the sense to break with their monolithic "all Apple products must have the same design cues" fetish and give a nod to pragmatism. Maybe a matte black iPod is next?
  • Reply 104 of 440
    Personally I think the black macbooks are hideous looking. They really do look like something out of a bad 80's sci-fi movie. The white ones are the way to go plus they cost hundreds $$ less.

I'm just surprised that nobody is bitching that there isn't a modem. There also doesn't seem to be much complaint over the name change from iBook to Macbook.

All in all though, for what you're getting, these things are an incredible value. It's nice to see that they've added video spanning as well as mirror. That one was too long in the making
  • Reply 105 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This is going to impact the MBP. Not a good thing. That's why the market has reacted badly to this. $1099 is too high, and the 2GHz model will impact the sales of the 2GHz MBP.

No way. These will sell like hotcakes. I'd love to see a slower option at a lower price, but that can come in the future (if they even need it).

Who knows what the market is thinking. They tend to start selling any company when any news is announced.
  • Reply 106 of 440
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

notebook ram comes in so-dimms which is way more expensive than regular dimms

2GB for the MacBook is $500

2GB for the MacBook Pro is $300

There goes that theory...
  • Reply 107 of 440
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Relax Francis. You need to take it easy

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Glossy screen? WTF? Those suck.

Then don't get the glossy option. Apple is giving you the CHOICE, smart guy.

Quote:

[B[

FUCK YOU APPLE. Separating models by color...dumb.

For $200 more you get 20 gigs and "Black." And only 512 RAM?!

[/B]

This works well for many companies. High end car makers, for example.

You may not like it, but it works.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is dumb.
  • Reply 108 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

[B]I'm just surprised that nobody is bitching that there isn't a modem. There also doesn't seem to be much complaint over the name change from iBook to Macbook.

Probably because people have known about these and hashed them over for months already. And really, neither is that big a deal.
  • Reply 109 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

No way. These will sell like hotcakes. I'd love to see a slower option at a lower price, but that can come in the future (if they even need it).

Who knows what the market is thinking. They tend to start selling any company when any news is announced.

That $100 dollars add up when school districts look at contracts. don't forget that they are still competing with Dell for that space. While an individual might not care as much, when you are buying 10,000, and have a limited budget, that extra million dollars can make or break the deal.

The market reacts kindly to Apple's new products, generally, but I'm sure they see the same problems I do.
  • Reply 110 of 440
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes as others have said, the glossy screen...was stupid. I may have to wait until the second revision. I hope the hell they get rid of it by then. Or perhaps sooner. ugh what were they thinking. I do NOT WANT A GLOSSY SCREEN!

Everything else is SWEET. I know I'm in the minority but I'll use FrontRow a lot. I download the small amount of TV I watch, and I'll be watching it on a real TV at my fiancee's house this summer. it'll be great. However most people aren't going to make their 13" puny little laptop a centerpiece of their media room. In reality, having a remote for a laptop is pretty stupid. But for me it's great, so I'm not complaining! The price is okay too. Just that glossy screen...
  • Reply 111 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

2GB for the MacBook is $500

2GB for the MacBook Pro is $300

There goes that theory...

Nope. $500 for 512->2 gig on the pro as well. It's only $300 if you start with a 1 gig config.

And all seem to be 667 DDR2 sodimm. Still trying to figure out why it's cheaper on the mini.
  • Reply 112 of 440
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Now that it supports an external display without just mirroring, I wonder if I could run it with the lid closed using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Thoughts?

Nice specs - looks like the Mac mini could use a speed bump / price drop soon too now.
  • Reply 113 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Probably because people have known about these and hashed them over for months already. And really, neither is that big a deal.

Yup. for months now. Not a big deal.

But, black is more "professional". I dare say that Apple is hinting that this would be more than just a home/school product.
  • Reply 114 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic However most people aren't going to make their 13" puny little laptop a centerpiece of their media room. In reality, having a remote for a laptop is pretty stupid. [/B]

Makes sense to me, just hook the video out to a big TV and close the mac. Great option for people who want occasional movie or slideshow, or mp3 jukebox functionality from a laptop. And the remote fits right in.

Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Now that it supports an external display without just mirroring, I wonder if I could run it with the lid closed using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Thoughts?

Nice specs - looks like the Mac mini could use a speed bump / price drop soon too now.

The apple site says it runs with the lid closed, I assume BT works that way. Agreed on the mini and I even think this could cut into iMac sales as well at the current price.

Quote:

But, black is more "professional". I dare say that Apple is hinting that this would be more than just a home/school product.

Not hinting, they're outright saying it. But the fact that this would replace the 12 inch "pro" machine has been around for months as well.
  • Reply 115 of 440
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Nice Apple friggin delivered!

All my predictions were half right, I had said in the very beginning of April(4/8/06) that I thought:

Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

$999 MackBook

13.3" Widescreen

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

40GB 4200rpm HD

Combo Drive

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1299 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

60GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1499 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

80GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

I mean read into it, Apple wants to grow as a company but will limit themselves to only 2 lines with 2 configurations all the while forgetting their 12" powerbook user base? I don't see it happening, this redesign allows them to make the ibook not so toy-like as well as leaving room to almost merge the product lines.

Look at the names MacBook and MacBook Pro are that simliar for a reason, they're sister systems and will probably sport similar designs only being separated by specs and MacBook being plastic.

This I believe allow the 12" pb to move into MacBook territory without making the machine look extremely consumer.

I'm seeing 3 configs.

The first 2 would be integrated graphics and available in white or strawberry, and the final one would be the 12" pb replacement and will be available in white or graphite and have dedicated graphics. All of them solid versions of the colours they used on the imac in past.

I hope that's what'll happen, it sounds about right because this site is claiming an increased effort in attracting women.

So I"m seeing this:

- All models offered in white(obviously)

- The $999 and $1299 models being the only one offered in a solid shade of iMac Strawberry

- The $1499 model being the only model offered in a solid shade of iMac Graphite

That'd be too sick.

That was back when everyone was saying only 2 configs and that they'd probably still have core solo. I was right about there being a product line merge, wrong about strawberry(the women thing), half-wrong about graphite because it was black instead, right about only the high end model being in the dark color.

Unfortunately I was wrong about it having dedicated graphics too.

Damn I love being a mac user the guessing game is too fun, if I was a win user what would I guess? When Vista is finally gonna drop? When is Dell gonna offer some stupid cupon?

F that I'm now more than ever a mac user for life, playing analist is damn cool.
  • Reply 116 of 440
    saleskisaleski Posts: 17member
    Ordered mine from Canadian apple site. 80GB HD and 1Ghz Ram upgrade to white model (every other laptop is black dont see the attraction ?). Good news Canadian prices are closer to reflecting the strength of the Canadian dollar. Mine is $1629 (Can$) plus GST. Worth the wait! I almost bought a used 12" PB for $1400 last month...whew! Estimated ship date - May 23rd.
  • Reply 117 of 440
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Wow, 99 posts already.

The people who are claiming that their predictions were correct in saying that it would start at $1099, were still wrong, in a sense.

No one seriously expected a 1.83GHz bottom end model!

This goes to show that if they wanted to, they could have done it for $999. They really should have had 1.67, and 1.83GHz models instead.

Melgross, not trying to start a fight here, but seriously, it seems like you will say anything other than admitting that you were wrong?

I was one of the ones who predicted $1099 and was shot down by you and many others. I never said anything about processor speed. I simply said they will all be dual-core and include iSight, mag-safe connectors, latch, a remote control and the base model will cost $1099.

Of course they could have delivered a model at $999 by including a slower single-core processor and dropping some of the specs, but all signs (and rumors) were indicating that Apple was adding functionality and features, even to it's entry level machines..

AAPL typically always drops on announcement day and then rebounds to a higher price within a week. Today's drop is nothing un-usual.. The market is also reacting to the new Creative lawsuit.

$1099 is not too high, I'd be willing to bet that within a few months time, this will become Apple's best selling computer. However, I do agree that paying $150 extra for the color black is bit of a stretch to say the least.

Anyways, instead of just arguing for arguments sake, it's time to just admit that you were wrong and move on. No big deal..
  • Reply 118 of 440
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Whine all you want, but this makes for a great consumer line up and those who don't like integrated graphics really haven't been a CONSUMER in a long time. How many consumers really need to burn DVD's and span to 30" monitors?!?!?!? Almost none.

That said, there should be a sub $1k laptop for the WalMart crowd and a 10"-12" professional laptop for business travelers and students who want to look cool or span monitors.

What I don't like seeing is that Apple is actually reducing its range of offerings at a time when switchers are looking for more of the variety that they are used to getting.

Glossy or Matte displays should be BTO for all laptops.

Pros keep better graphics and illuminated keys and 30" monitor support.

I sure hope Steve was thinking about new portable Macs when he mentioned that future products look like the best he has ever seen, b/c the product line is getting smaller and we need more choices!!
  • Reply 119 of 440
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oberpongo

I totally aggree, Apple should add a small 11-13" MacBook Pro with 3-4 Pounds and optical drive that can be hooked up to some 30" Screen.

Maybe when the MacBook Pro notebooks get a Merom chip then a 13" MacBook Pro will be released. The case will go from plastic to metal, keyboard gets illuminated, 7200 rpm drive BTO option, PCI Express graphics card, and a bump in screen resolution, and a full size DVI connection, but no ExpressCard due to no room.

After looking at Apple's comparison chart of the notebooks I have no complaints about the default configuration nor the BTO options.
  • Reply 120 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

[B]What I don't like seeing is that Apple is actually reducing its range of offerings at a time when switchers are looking for more of the variety that they are used to getting.

But it makes sense for Apple to drop products that have low demand. Reportedly, the 12" powerbook didn't sell nearly as well as the ibooks or the other powerbooks. Most consumers thought it was too similar to the ibook and just went with that cheaper option.

Choices are great, but they should stick with the options that people are interested and shouldn't waste time and money carrying configs that are unpopular.

I don't see a "pro" machine in 13", people need to stop living in denial and accept that the model is gone. If there are additions to the line, they would be completely different models like an ultra mini at 10 or 11" or even one bigger than 17. There's no point in having redundant models at the same size, they just need to cater to the pros with fast chips and other BTO options.