Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 440
    wahoo!!! have been limping along on my friend's old 12" g3, bc my 14" ibook died in feb. this makes my day. i have been dying with the 12" screen, the bigger the better! ;-) thought this was going to happen thurs!

just got: the 1299 white, customized with 1 gig mem and 100gig hard drive. between that, tax, and apple care (rev a!), i'm looking at north of 1700 bucks. even with educ discount. yargh! oh well, i keep 'em forever.

only disappointment is that yeah, it's thinner, but i expected something a bit more radical with the design. i usu don't travel with my laptops, so size/weight isn't an issue for me. unless it comes in at, say 20 lbs.

and i, too, combed the specs for more of a diff bt the 1299 and 1499, and was puzzled. but then the black premium thought kicked in. hmmm . . . i'll still take white, thankyouverymuch!

and i used to have a tangerine ibook, and from what i recall, there was no diff in the specs for the diff colors (i miss that one soooo much!).
  • Reply 82 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by booisgolden

wahoo!!! have been limping along on my friend's old 12" g3, bc my 14" ibook died in feb. this makes my day. i have been dying with the 12" screen, the bigger the better! ;-) thought this was going to happen thurs!

just got: the 1299 white, customized with 1 gig mem and 100gig hard drive. between that, tax, and apple care (rev a!), i'm looking at north of 1700 bucks. even with educ discount. yargh!

only disappointment is that yeah, it's thinner, but i expected something a bit more radical with the design. i usu don't travel with my laptops, so size/weight isn't an issue for me. unless it comes in at, say 20 lbs.

and i, too, combed the specs for more of a diff bt the 1299 and 1499, and was puzzled. but then the black premium thought kicked in. hmmm . . . just seems like you're paying more money for something that's just going to get really ugly after a little bit with all the scratches.

and i used to have a tangerine ibook, and from what i recall, there was no diff in the specs for the diff colors (i miss that one soooo much!).

OMG why would you CTO your Mac with extra memory. Order a stick from newegg or something and save yourself 50 bucks. its so easy to install.
  • Reply 83 of 440
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by booisgolden

just got: the 1299 white, customized with 1 gig mem and 100gig hard drive. between that, tax, and apple care (rev a!), i'm looking at north of 1700 bucks. even with educ discount. yargh!

wow...and in the Refurb store at Apple the macbook pro is $1599.... yeah its refurbed but they are always pristine. I'd have a tough time justifying $1700+ on a MB. The 1099 looks uber good though.

you'll enjoy it though, have fun, its a pretty snazzy machine!
  • Reply 84 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

OMG why would you CTO your Mac with extra memory. Order a stick from newegg or something and save yourself 50 bucks. its so easy to install.

I remember installing memory on my iBook was a nightmare. I think I must have had a bad stick, because it never seemed to work well. Plus, I've nerve damage in my hands, so it wasn't easy to get to the slot.

I'm not good with my hands, and I'm lazy.

Mileage may vary.
  • Reply 85 of 440
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 188member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

But to really make the family complete, I think Apple needs an ultraportable

I totally aggree, Apple should add a small 11-13" MacBook Pro with 3-4 Pounds and optical drive that can be hooked up to some 30" Screen.
  • Reply 86 of 440
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

The keyboard is kind of retro funky. The black model with the new keyboard reminds me of my old Cambridge Z88.

I'll be buying a white model though. Black is soo 80s.

That keyboard is very strange. I'm actually hesitating ordering a MacBook because of it. I might have to try it out first. You are right, it is just like the old Z88s...
  • Reply 87 of 440
    i did do the memory myself on my old tangerine ibook, so i guess my only answer is that i'm really, really lazy. i just graded my student's final exams, and i'm exhausted! it was a price/effort analysis.

oh crap, just saw pix of keyboard on the black one at the apple store, and it looks like it would be hell to type on. but hey, it looks cool so all is forgiven! very 2001 space odyssey.
  • Reply 88 of 440
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Whomever is saying "ultraportable" stop it.

There is nothing "ultraportable" about the 12" PB. To me "ultraportable" means under 4 lbs and thin enough to snap in-half. The 12" PB is not an "ultraportable" but then again neither are these new MacBooks. Now, there is room for a smaller, lighter MacBook. Yes? But nothing out of Apple for a while can be considered "ultraportable".

The new models are nice though. Glossy screen and weight aside. I worry how 2D performance and Quartz Composer will function if the 13" MacBook is connected to a 20" Apple Cinema. Otherwise, good deal here.
  • Reply 89 of 440
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Agreed. Tablet, anyone? The graph card for the 30" monitor is expensive and large and not necessary for 99% of the users... but to connect to a 23" display would be nice.

Sadly, Apple says on one of its pages that these releases complete the notebook offereings, so there will not likely be anything for some time.

Will likely get a white one for the wife, who has been working on an iBook600 for too long now. Actually, to be honest, I want to play with it.
  • Reply 90 of 440
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

It's just mirroring. Intel graphics, oh yay!

Idiot.

Bad enough you didn't read the specs, but an earlier post already had the correct info. Here's living proof that the FUD about integrated graphics comes from ignorance.

Quote:

Originally posted by gruth

Who is Apple marketing the black model to? Gee, I can spend an extra $200 for 20 GB more of storage, and uhh, black? Why on earth would anyone pay this much more for something that's worth maybe $50 more?

Because they want to? It's an odd move, but you can't really blame apple for giving it a shot. If they sell, it's like free money for Apple. If they don't, Apple just lowers the price and hasn't lost anything. Certainly no harm in them taking the risk.

Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Apart from the processor, there's nothing compelling about any of these things. FrontRow and a remote? On an ultraportable? It's just silly. All 13" of widescreen? Can a different shape really be called a "feature"? Well, I guess there is the extra 12 pixels all along the bottom! That's almost enough for the dock...

Front row and the remote are useful when it's hooked to a bigger screen (is there a mini DVI to TV adapter?). Heck, the remote is useful when it's hooked to the stereo, do you need to see the screen to turn volume up and down, or to skip to the next song? And yes, I'd consider widescreen a feature considering how many people are watching videos on their laptops.

Quote:

Originally posted by xhui i won't want to upgrade to a MacBook anymore as it really only replaces the iBook line and not the 12" PowerBook.

What's missing that doesn't replace the powerbook? Integrated graphics? What, so you can play first person shooters as part of your "pro" work? This is a killer machine and a big improvement over BOTH machines it's replacing.
  • Reply 91 of 440
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I just checked all of the iBooks ever made with MacTracker and I do not see any where there was more than one graphics system within a single product release. So there is no precedent for a "high end graphics" MacBook.

Um... the 12" PowerBook?
  • Reply 92 of 440
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oberpongo

I totally aggree, Apple should add a small 11-13" MacBook Pro with 3-4 Pounds and optical drive that can be hooked up to some 30" Screen.

Maybe this is the missing link. Maybe they pull

another ace off of their sleeves in a few weeks.

Anyway, i am not in the market to get an all new MacBook,

because i am completely satisfied with my beloved

12" PB. But a 10" SubBook (with all the trimmings)

is a different story.
  • Reply 93 of 440
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

Do we know yet if it is easily installable on the MacBook?

MacSales has 1GB sticks for the MacBook at $113 each. Much better than the $450(!!) that apple is charging for a 2GB upgrade.
  • Reply 94 of 440
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger Why does apple have to gimp one part of their laptops to make there magical distinction between pro and consumer (which doesn't really exist) [/B]

Price. If they had a graphics card, people would whine that the price wasn't cheaper.

Speaking of...anyone know why it costs $500 to go to 2 gigs of ram? The mini only costs $300 for that upgrade, isn't it the same ram?
  • Reply 95 of 440
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Um... the 12" PowerBook?

Please, don't tell me you consider the NVIDIA FX Go5200 (64 MB) high-end, dedicated graphics?

Anyway, all in all it's about what I expected. It's nice to see them offer black, considering all the success they had with black iPods. I'm sure the Apple Store and their retail counterparts will start showing shortages of the black model.

It's refreashing to see the 1.83 GHz core duo on the low end; however, my only complaint with the line up is that they could have possible made it a 1.6 GHz and kept the price at $999, but other than that I think this is great.

It does seem that Apple is drawing the line between consumer and pro with dedicated graphics. For the most part, who will care? Most people that wander into the Apple Store asking about switching want to know if they can run Office, e-mail and the inthernet. They oooh and aaah over the prettiness. Every once in a while someone might ask about playing games or doing graphics intensive work on them. In that case we just direct them to the iMac, MBP and PowerMacs. Apple is not doomed today
  • Reply 96 of 440
    I'm very impressed with the price, considering they are all core duos, tho a bit disappointed there aren't more options (for instance getting a 1.83ghz version with a superdrive is impossible), and no dedicated graphics option.
  • Reply 97 of 440
    anybody know about backlit keyboard/dimming display?
  • Reply 98 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Price. If they had a graphics card, people would whine that the price wasn't cheaper.

Speaking of...anyone know why it costs $500 to go to 2 gigs of ram? The mini only costs $300 for that upgrade, isn't it the same ram?

notebook ram comes in so-dimms which is way more expensive than regular dimms
  • Reply 99 of 440
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Can't tell from the pictures.... is this the full on, piano glossy iPod black?

Cause if it is, and Apple hasn't come up with some kind of protective coating, isn't there going to be a tidal wave of bitching when these things start showing scratches in that special, high relief black polycarbonate way we've come to know and love?

And just think-- so much more surface area to cry about!

Really, though, I think we've all gotten instantly spoiled by the Intel era. The new base model is a massive upgrade to the previous iBook, in performance, stock connectivity and amenities.

If Apple had done this with a G4 model people would have been weeping with joy.
  • Reply 100 of 440
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Can't tell from the pictures.... is this the full on, piano glossy iPod black?

Cause if it is, and Apple hasn't come up with some kind of protective coating, isn't there going to be a tidal wave of bitching when these things start showing scratches in that special, high relief black polycarbonate way we've come to know and love?

And just think-- so much more surface area to cry about!

Really, though, I think we've all gotten instantly spoiled by the Intel era. The new base model is a massive upgrade to the previous iBook, in performance, stock connectivity and amenities.

If Apple had done this with a G4 model people would have been weeping with joy.

It's Matte black. If it were shiny (and they'd fixed the scratch issue) I might have sprung for it, but as is I'll save my $200.